Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

Post by Flocke »

Vladimir wrote:EDIT: MPR++ did the trick, after I figured out I had to install it into the folder for each mod and large version of the mod ;)
Thanks guys! The game lives on! Looks like I might even get some improvements with this.

Is MPR++ windowed mode only? I can't locate any type of guide on it (if there is one) if there is a way to change this, or some info on how to 'use' this engine, can you inform/direct me there? ~thanks
Glad it works, there should be a readme (mpr++_readme.txt) included, but press f8 to switch fullscreen. :wink:
Vladimir
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vladimir »

I can't locate that file, either in game directory or mpr++ directory or it's sub-folders. Only mpr++ ini manual. But thanks for the info and the fix.
kokrein
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by kokrein »

Hello friends, I have a problem with the amount of frames per second in combat. In combat with more that 20 ships my frame rate are 2.5 frame per second. What I did or did not do, please help. My hardware supports much more challenging game than this, so I think that the problem is on my side. I will be grateful for your help

I Install allready Hades patch 2.2, BOTF_1.0.2 and i play UDMIII_3.0.1dc 1204x768
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi kokrein,

Do you experience the same frame rate on vanilla with same amount of ships? UDM uses some very high poly ships and will greatly slow down frame rate. But this does not start happening until battle has over 100 ships in combat.

thunderchero
kokrein
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by kokrein »

Hi Thunderchero

In STBOF.INI I changed the line once to 3D=DIRECT3D, and once to 3D=SOFTWARE effect is the same, still the frame rate is very low. If I started the Installation of BOTF_1.0.2 i chose the HADES 3D mode.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I did not expect any change when you edited 3D=DIRECT3D to 3D=SOFTWARE,

I asked when you play the unedited game (no mod) is your frame rate still that low with same amount of ships?

frame rate is video card related so it might also help if we knew your video card info.

Also keep in mind this game is 14 years old, it was never meant to preform like the games of today.

thunderchero
kokrein
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by kokrein »

OK, now I understand. I do not run it on orginale games (no mods), so I do not know but I'll try. I've been playing in BOTF since I came on the market (I grew up on Star Trek), this mod I also installed some time, but the game was not stable, I always crashing me in combat. So I reinstalled it and I have uploaded MPR + + 0.2.5 to C: \ botf and the UDM directory, the game has become stable, but significantly decreased the number of frames per second.

I play on the laptop, Intel i3, ATI Radeon HD 5470 1GB
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

As it says MPR + + 0.2.5 is an experimental graphic engine in it's very early stages. On that version basically it is rendering all models twice. so yes expect very low frame rate. even original game will have a slower frame rate but not near as bad as UDM.

The reason is vanilla models avg 50 - 100 poly, while UDM models will avg 1500 - 2500 poly. without mpr this was not too bad (frame rate) until you started combat with over 100 ships then players would expect frame rates to go very low.

So in the configuration you have don't expect frame rate to get better (with more ships it will even go slower).

thunderchero
kokrein
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by kokrein »

OK, thank you for your reply now I know that nothing will help me a pity that UDM will not work without MPR + +. Somehow i must live with it, but the game is GREAT!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

kokrein wrote:Somehow i must live with it
MPR++ is still in development and while not publicly released it has made great advancements in frame rate.

you could also request to be part of alpha testing.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2606&p=37752&sid=de ... c0b#p37752

thunderchero
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I'm not certain if these issues are specific to Win7, the mods themselves... or just inherent bugs... but since I am experiencing them on Win7 OS I'll stick them here.

Issue #1:
I am having a Crash with error message I think is related to the screensaver kicking in. This seemed consistent across BoP, AAM, and the Planet Mod, but one time it SHOULD have occurred in UDM5 it did not. I of course save frequently... so it's relatively minor as far as issues go, except I liked the screensaver!

Code: Select all

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\ui\tactical\objview.cpp, Line: 441, obj->handle != I3D_INVALID_HANDLE
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 1	Starting Seed: 1368592295
Galaxy shape: 2	Galaxy Size: 2
Issue #2:
In UDM5 last night I had a colony ship routed to another system, realized there was one planet left to terraform, selected ship, hit options, hit Terraform and it crashed to desktop! Reverted to save and ended destination, THEN proceeded to terraform with no crash.

Code: Select all

ST:BOF Sat May 25 23:09:12 2013

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\game\ship.c, Line: 968, taskForce != NULL
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 1	Starting Seed: 1369536854
Galaxy shape: 0	Galaxy Size: 0
Odd issues, certainly not game breakers or even shadows on the fine work done by you folks here! I post them only to help others be aware and perhaps contribute my testing experiences for future improvements!
megas
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by megas »

ok im having abit on an issue i installed the game with the multi installer and the graphics start off normal then suddenly flickers when i move the mouse leaving a trail and then the screen looks like its starting to melt
5583d9b94b607bbddf4040abce2836a5.png
5583d9b94b607bbddf4040abce2836a5.png (416.49 KiB) Viewed 5156 times
i have no idea how to fix this issue
im running windows 7 64bit with a ati radeon hd 6870 with the latest drivers
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

this issue was reported twice before, it is caused by a setting in your graphics driver MSAA or something, I forgot
have no reference at hand, but you'll find it somewhere :wink:
megas
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by megas »

turning off morphological filtering fixed the melting issue now i just have to fix the terrible screen flickering and mouse trails been left behind my cursor
b0bd0b484f7ac80323944490948c4dd3.png
b0bd0b484f7ac80323944490948c4dd3.png (357.57 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

not sure if there's a fix for this, does it only happen the opening screen or also lateron?
you might try search the forum as I know this issue was reported more than once too
this issue is graphic driver related, so you might try a different driver
however you might also try different windows compatibility modes
instead if you like to participate in mpr++ alpha testing you could try that too

Return to “Support Archive”