Which GPU should I go for?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Which GPU should I go for?

Post by KrazeeXXL »

well, the steering felt very direct for me. It was really hard to adjust for some reasons. And I usually don't have problems with that. I adjust the mouse sensitivity and just lower or raise the dpi by a thousand with a click and I'm good. But the differences here in B:I, between low and high were insane. Well at least for me with my G700s. It was either too slow or way too fast.

The protagonists comments regarding those brainwashed idiots were pretty funny and I liked it.

I have to try it again at some time.

I'm all game for good stories. But right now I just want to slay some monsters and some good ol' Lo Wang humor :lol:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

hehe, well sometimes cheap mouses like mine seem to be the better choise :mrgreen:
hf on your Lo Wang humor slaughter trip

and also hf to captaindusk with your new components.
I thought about same case but then opted for another low priced offer using less plastic and coming with an integrated disk station :)
I was pretty unsure on the plastic of your sharkoon case but it looks great on your photos. :up:
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Ok you really convinced me now. Gotta try Shadow Warrior out. I also got Dishonored but have to look further into it. But I also like that steampunk setting there. There are not that many games where you get killed by lots of frickin rats :-D
I also played several hours of Bioshock Infinite. I gotta admit I didn't understand the story at all to this point but I like the setting and this game definately has VERY memorable moments. (Speaking of those sick devils and flying around policeman that attack you with some giant pizza cutter). Or that guy who cleans up before his house that is just burning down. Weird but I like such stuff.

Sports games: That's the main reason I'm going to fetch my PS4 in November. Nothing better than scoring some amazing goals or doing monster dunks oldschool fashioned with a friend beside you. Online gaming is nice and all but as long as you don't talk to each other it feels a bit "sterile". But atm it is also fun on PC with my Xbox 360 Microsoft Pad and his Logitech Rumble Pad (?) I guess (Playstation Style)

The case was necessary due to the card not fitting into my old one. The old one was a lot more stable, the Sharkoon case has a really cheap appeal when it comes to mounting components, but as this isn't something you do all day every day I took it. Fitted my budget and was available right away and this red/black stuff always was exactly my cup of tea. It isn't a plastic overkill too. Less plastic than I expected. Everything is working and I managed not to break something while assembling the system :grin: The only thing that really annoyed me is that extremely bright blue power LED. Patched it with a little sticker. Now it's ok. Before it lighted nearly the whole room. Bugged me a lot with my external hard drive too (also bright blue LED) but at least you can put a HDD into a little bag or something.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I hate these bright blue leds too and really don't understand why so many companies use them - just for a cool photo look or what?
Have such a led in an external hdd drive too
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Oh man, the blue LED of death! I also got one in the power switch. God, I hate it. I don't know what those manufacturers thought when they had this "great" idea. In the beginning I used post-its to darken it a bit. Even one wasn't enough and I had to use at least 2.

Definitely not a good thing to have in a room where you sleep. The blue color is nice @day but totally OP in the night. And then it annoyingly blinks all the time, while the computer is in stby mode... I wouldn't be surprised if I could even see that damn blinking from down the street.

#

What kind of case is that with a integrated Disk station Flocke? Sounds really interesting.

#

I like the Steampunk style in Dishonored, too. Esp. the tall boys.

This game can be tough, tho. I often had to reload because I got detected. It's not a big difference if you hide in a shadow, as NPCs locate you pretty quickly. Other games did that better. Another thing I found to be really annoying was the respawn, esp. in late game. I guess they did that to slow the player's progress a bit down. I cleared an area and suddenly new NPCs popped up out of nowhere. :evil:

I'd say pacifist playthrough with ghost (not getting detected) should be one of the most difficult things to achieve. I've tried that in the beginning but gave up on ghost pretty quickly. It's easier to kill w/o being detected. And the rats are a great help as they get rid of the corpses :D

I admit, it's a a little bit morbid but fun. A very unusual concept to say at least.

#

Shadow Warrior can be a little bit tough, too. I play on hard and it's definitely what you'd expect from hard :D (nothing for pussies)
Things tend to get really messy there and I died on several occassions. :up:

F.e.: I had some Shaman on a cemetary who liked to spawn skeletons all the time. In the beginning, a couple of normal demons also spawned up from their portals and I quickly had to slay my way trough like 20 or more of those beasts. This was really tough and I had to change my strategy a couple of times. But I got it done (several magazines from my MP to its head helped the cause :lol:). I really enjoy the challenge. Death isn't that bad in this game. There are games where it sucks way more.

What I really like in this game is that it rewards you, when you're using different ways and moves to kill things. I had a couple of situations, where I really sucked and this resulted in low karma. Then I had some massive fighting in a street where I totally ruled. Things blew up, fireworks started and shit, while I was laughing my ass off. It was damn funny and I got massive karma for this sick action. :D

I love to blow up cars and mopeds on the streets. You don't really have to count any round of ammunition and and I seldomly have to reload an area. I don't really like that in games. (Dishonored was a reload festival)

Here a couple of funny screenshots I made. Those are references to the original game but kinda picture the silly humor ;)
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

KrazeeXXL wrote:What kind of case is that with a integrated Disk station Flocke? Sounds really interesting.
This one :)
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

wow, this thing has many of these blue LEDs. It must light like a beacon made by Jar Jar Abrams at night :lol:

Are those just the fans?

And on the front top that's the disk station, right? What's that transparent plastic thingy on the left? Just a little window or something else? Do the 2 fans on the top blow in or out of the case?

Questions and more questions ;) 1 Fan in the front isn't really much (well perhaps the 2 on the top also blow in although they should better do the opposite). But I like the front USBs (3.0?). Although I don't really understand wherefor you need that much 5.25" slots nowadays.

Looks solid however.

I cleaned my rig a couple of days ago. Removed all the dust and I also took some good amount of time to manage the cables. I had much fun. And the computer rewarded me with way lower temps. (8°K!) :) It's running 24/7 and I OCed it to 4.2Ghz again, so cleaning it was necessary.

I hope you also got some air filters for the fans of your case. If not, then you should definitely get some. I'm amazed by those things. I didn't clean the PC for like 2 years and they kept a lot of dust out. It was dusty on the inside but I've seen way worse.

Now, I'm going to continue SW. I killed some 20 meter tall f/$&face demon earlier today, which wanted to stomp me to death (the sucker succeeded one time, tho). Ran out of ammo pretty quickly and had to kill it with the distance attack of my sword. That was some action...

The game doesn't get boring yet. I'm in chapter 6 and there were new enemies in every new chapter yet. What I really hate are those Shamans. But I finally got the Shotgun. \o/ this thing rips the monsters to shreds :lol:

it's really ugly looking and Lo Wang commented on that fact of course xD
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

it has just one blue led lighted air cooler and I placed it to the rear, it doesn't annoy at all cause there's no blinking (just the rotating transparent cooler) and it's not too bright either.
airflow goes in front and bottom, and goes out top and rear. power supply is bottom with cooler directed bottom too.
I added 3 additional not lightened low-speed fans, one front, one bottom, one top. Due to blocking ram slots I only managed to use the rear opening for the top cooler so cpu might also get air from top but I don't mind.
And on the left is a little window plus a little air opening below but I can't see it anyway as my system is placed left in the room and all I could see is a boring giant cpu cooler block. :roll:

I am happy with that system and the only cooler I hear is airflow by the graphic card cooler - but with music on I don't care.

The only problem I have with that case is, I need to take care not to drop a glass of water or something. :lol:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Flocke wrote:The only problem I have with that case is, I need to take care not to drop a glass of water or something. :lol:
yea, that's always dangerous. I remember a talk with cd where we found out, that the both of us only drink from bottles in near of the computer ;)

#

I was very surprised, as I cleaned my GPU and replaced the old (dry and bad) heat transfer paste with some good old Arctic cooling MX-2 (3€ on Amazon). I've got 37°C in idle now and the fan is @40%. Before, I was at min. 45-48°C and the fan ran on 60 something % iirc (on auto).

I did a huge stress test the last days (24/7 crunching on Collatz Conjecture) and the max I got was 62°C - compared to the 75°C before. I heard the fan but at least I didn't have to run it @100% anymore. All of this while I had the card OCed to the max of 850Mhz.

It is so quiet now (even with the OC), I barely hear it anymore. The city outside is way louder now than the PC. And the GPU used to be the loudest part here, too.

MX-2 is great. It is so nice and easy to put on the CPU or GPU. The best WLP I ever had.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

prices for the 7970 rog went up by 100 bucks. it was definitely the right time to buy ;)

only 2 days left until the NDA is lifted for the 290...
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

100 bucks? :shock: The cheapest i find is 289,90 €

http://geizhals.de/asus-rog-matrix-hd79 ... 37283.html

31 bucks more expensive than mine. Are you talking about the Platinum Edition? I bought the Ghz Edition for 259 €. Well after several very unlucky years I guess it was time for me to be a bit lucky. :smile:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

oops ok Platinum Edition. I only checked amazon. The last time they had some Ghz Ediditions for the same prices as well. Now they went nuts @ 370€ @PE (40€ increase I think). Forgotten that there were 2 versions...

So yea, it's just 30 bucks for the Ghz Edition. But better than nothing ;)

Did you get your 3 games with the never settle bundle as well? And if yes, what did you choose?
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

No, I only got the card and the included Diablo III mouse pad. Saw the card offered with the games bundle but it would have been 40 bucks more expensive. As the card already was 10 bucks above my budget I went for it. I had to blow up my budget by 120 € concerning the new PSU & case. All in all I spent 379 €. More than my entire new PC costed 2 years ago. (328 €) :shock: :shock:

So I gotta start saving money again as I did before for the PS4. A full fridge is by far more important than computer stuff. Although I enjoy every second with this card. It's huge. Appearance and performance. :smile:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

wow, I wasn't aware that the card costs more with the bundle. On the AMD page it states: buy this and that and you get either 1, 2 or 3 games. It says nothing about the price some dirty seller wanted.

captaindusk wrote:More than my entire new PC costed 2 years ago. (328 €) :shock: :shock:

You're talking about that uprade kit consisting of the board, CPU and a bit of RAM, right?
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Exactly. It was only an upgrade kit. Mainboard, CPU, and 4 new RAMS 2GB each. But all in all I assembled a completely new PC step by step. Changed pretty much everything and bought additional drives. The only thing I kept was one HDD. Everything else had been replaced.

Return to “General Chat”