Suggestions for next version

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Suggestions for next version

Post by Dewbacca »

For the most part I am enjoying this mod, or if something seems "different" I try to analyze it rather than insist on my preferences.

This mod is well balanced and quite challenging to play, but some things I am finding time and time again that would tweak the playability:

A minor morale boost on each minor's Special facility.
This seems not only beneficial but also plausible with each race "proud" of it's inherent traits or goods. Perhaps this would not be appropriate on some, like Yridian Espionage facility, or too much on an Empire wide boost like Bajoran council. But most of the others could stand the system perk when built.

Trade centers should be buildable by ALL territories, not just native colonies.
Right now Conquered systems only get the Proctorate Headquaters, Membered Minor systems only get the Space Port with credit boost and morale. Why couldn't a "mall" (trade center) be built on those systems as well and distract the populace with cheap goods, no matter the reason they are joined to the Empire/ Federation.

From a Klingon perspective this would give conquered minor systems 3 boosts you could build (PH, TC & special) to secure loyalty, 2 boosts for non native empire.

These "morale" issues are most prevalent in my recent games as Klingons. In the previous game I membered the Bajorans early on and it went easier. Perhaps morale could be more fluid, easier to earn, easier to lose... dare I say, less of a factor? Right now low morale KILLS a system and there are few ways to reliably bring it up (short of a string of victories which is temp).

Of note, in my current game the Cardassians are one tick down in the political screen on morale comparison to other empires, Apathetic I believe... but there is no text.

A first in this game, liberated Zackdorn from Cardassians and sent them an affiliation offer. Next turn Feds declared war on them. Needless to say they accepted my offer and I build a Klingon Defense Platform there. Two turns later they joined the Federation with my Starbase in that system. Several turns and "gifts" later the Zackdorn decide to become Klingons instead, and my Starbase goes "poof". I built another of course... but that's never happened.

Anyway, thanks for the hard work and great mod.
adi
Commander
Commander

Re: Suggestions for next version

Post by adi »

I felt exactly the same; in my UDM dc all minor special buildings have +1 local morale and the bunker network also got a +1 morale. I still have the occasional morale issues but only with feds when i conquer 2-3 systems/turn and only if i did not member-ed at least one of the +1 morale empire wide minors.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I try to play the mods as offered to learn from them and the creators choices. I haven't broken out UE on a mod to tweak it... I may try this to see how the tweak affects play overall.

One effect of the morale "penalty" as a Klingon player you MUST hunt and choose peace carefully. Actively seeking war or letting a few escape for another morale boosting encounter again rather than a clean kill. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference to AI, Klingons are wimps on every setting. Both Cards and Klingons should be war like and expanding or fighting a morale war on the home front I suppose, but I see them as AI opponents "apathetic" all of the time with no noticeable effect.

As a Klingon player I'd rather decloak and die than a single scout flee. Klingon AI runs with impunity. I guess this all just falls under AI is dumb and the mechanics are tilted to compensate.

The ships seems well matched across empires, but again, Klingons are generally behind the curve with assault cruisers getting wiped by orbitals many turns before their upgrade arrives. I will say this is the first mod where either assault cruisers or orbitals have even been useful... but I'm level 9 tech and assault cruiser mkii's are exploding 3 at a time over Omicron.
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

well, since i am playing mostly single player, losing does not happen so my worst enemy is long turn time;
so if i can do something to streamline the play and avoid waiting some turns for those ships to regenerate or morale to recover, i will:
- i added +1 morale for the Bunker Network; that is enough of a boost to keep conquering every turn with the feds without having rebellious systems.
- cruisers and strikers have enough shield to absorb the firepower of an orbital; so no more scout spam for orbital fodder; it takes too long;
- and since i never played the dominion (because of the interface) i gave them the upper hand; best research, industry, shields and hull, best firepower, cheapest ships.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

I like the +1 morale to bunkers, I would feel safer if the government built one! Might even give ME a reason to build them.
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

Dewbacca wrote:I like the +1 morale to bunkers! Might even give ME a reason to build them.
That was another reason why i chose the Bunker Network for the +1 morale bonus; I never built them before either; and when you think that they need no energy and only cost 300 industry. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cpt. Deadpool
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Cpt. Deadpool »

Borg need some way to assimilate the entire system. i.e. In Armada 2 The Borg had a ship that fired a beam at a planet to assimilate it; or they could just have their own version of a colony ship to terraform the planets.
Cpt. Deadpool
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by Cpt. Deadpool »

Having the capability to upgrade ships at the shipyard.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

This is old thread, but the only one with a relevant title.

One thing that has always bothered me in BOTF 1, and is still irritating in BOTF2, is something to do the build list:

This only happens with buildings that you can queue multiple times (farms, manufacturing plants, energy plants etc), and have not yet upgraded to the highest possible version of the building - It's that when you want to build, say, 5 energy plants (and you have researched energy level 6 or higher) the whole list jumps up one spot after the first selection, coz the "Upgrade to energy plant level 6" option disappears from the build list, and you have to re-adjust your cursor for the remaining 4 selections. I find that jump extremely irritating, coz it happens in almost every colony, every turn.
Could we just grey out the non-possible selections on the build list? at least till next turn (or next time you view that colony)?
Am I making any sense to anyone? Has anyone else found this irritating? Will you now that I've mentioned it?:) Or am I just nit-picking:)

Iceman, You know that you've done a great job, when you get people going into this much detail:)

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”