Information on eWarZone

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

Sir_Carnifex
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Information on eWarZone

Post by Sir_Carnifex »

The eWarZone is an online game match-making service similar to the MSN Gaming Zone, designed to support games that the Zone dropped. It has many of the features the Zone had, including private messaging, ignore, and locking rooms. Currently it is free, though there may be a member fee in the future.

The eWarZone also has some new features. The very best of these is the new connection system that negates the need to open special ports on one's router firewall. This is something that no other gaming server online can claim to have. There will be many more additions to the eWarZone in the future, one of them being integrated voice chat.

The eWarZone includes no ads, adware, or spyware. It currently has separate lobbies for playing Axis and Allies, Risk II, Total Annihilation, Total Annihilation: Kingdoms, Outlaws, and Panzer General II, with support for more games (200+) being included in the Other Games lobby. To play these games, you must have the appropriate CD-ROM of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To play BOTF on the eWarZone, get the client here: http://www.ewarzone.com

After installing and opening the WZ client, select the game lobby you want from the list provided. For BOTF, you will want to select "Other Games". Type in your name and password. If you use a clan prefix, use the prefix slot (underneath the password slot) rather than putting it in your name. This allows you to change it whenever you enter WZ. Be careful in selecting your name, as WZ only allows two names per user. Note that each lobby in WZ is separate from the rest, so making a name for Other Games does not reserve it for you in another lobby, like Panzer General.

Once inside the WZ, click on a room to host/join a game. This will open a small window on the lower right-hand part of WZ. If you are the host, there is a button marked "change" that you can use to edit settings. Click this and select Birth of the Federation from the drop list. You can also edit the title, information, the number of players, whether to allow join-in-progress or not, and turn on/off the bypass option. Once everyone is ready, the host clicks launch.

The bypass is a method of converting the old DX games into client-based games. Having this option turned on will run the game through the server, rather than peer-to-peer. The reason this eliminates the need to open ports is that it utilizes outgoing ports, which are generally not blocked by firewalls.

Private messages may be sent to anyone in the lobby by right-clicking on the user's name. There are also options to ignore or boot the user.

If you go to options at the top of WZ, you may turn off the annoying voice "a player has entered the room" and exchange it for a beep, or have nothing at all. Or you can keep it on if you like it. :?

To change your font, click on the little B I F buttons at the bottom left of WZ (right next to the chat slot).

And finally, please keep WZ clean at all times!

If anyone needs help with name changes or for any other problem that might occur in WZ, Dragonflames is an admin there. I don't know who else is there anymore.
jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

Up date on the warzone, carnifex has left. All rooms are now unmoderated. He is working on a new server which will be moderated.
Deano23285
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Deano23285 »

any idea why he left?
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

They banned moderators, that may have something to do with it.
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
jigalypuff
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by jigalypuff »

The guy who set it up and owns it wants unmoderated lobbys, this has lead as you can imagine to people geting abused, links to virus being dropped in the chat areas, carnifax managed to get some moderation on the go, however his work was for naught, the sites owner says no moderation. I think this guy is a jerk, any moron knows that unmoderated lobbys will lead to a mass exodus of players, as there is always a few dingos who will ruin it for everyone else.
Deano23285
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Deano23285 »

ah right, don't blame him for setting his own one up then
Sir_Carnifex
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Sir_Carnifex »

Well, to set a few things straight here...

Only Risk II and Panzer General 2 are unmoderated. The rest were unmoderated only for a short time. You can contact Dragonflames for help in the Other Games lobby. However, it would not surprise me if he (the "boss) were to get rid of him (Dragonflames ) and the others eventually. Nor would I be surprised if the admins just choose to leave on their own.

About the server. I am not actually the one setting up a server, but I do know a person who is making one and that is the one I hope to put BOTF on.

If there's any further news, I will let Jig know.

Carnifex, Cadet, 1st year
pauluk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by pauluk »

Hi ive got the warrzone client installed but how to i set up a username and password?

http://www.ewarzone.com/ just gives me the client :)
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Paul, you have a crowd waiting in warzone for your big tourny game!

Just download that client, run it, and put in your desired username in the login box :)
pauluk
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by pauluk »

thanks im there as we speak :)
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

Alrighty, moving the discussion out of the Tournament thread and into here.

So the issue seems to be that when launching the game in WarZone, clicking on the 'New Multi-Player Game' button doesn't skip me past the 'Multiplayer Steup' screen like it should, either when hosting, or joining. It acts like a regular LAN game setup.

Every port and firewall and everything has been set and checked and re-checked to death. I still can't pass the DX Port test, and get different ports failing each time.

Feel free to say go over the same-ol' fixes, just to make sure I haven't overlooked anything simple, but I'm pretty sure it's simply not working. :(
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
Sir_Carnifex
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Sir_Carnifex »

Back to the topic of getting that new server, I'm sorry to say that I still don't have any idea when that will come about. I've lost contact with my contact temporarily so I don't know how things are going. Last information I had was it was going slower than expected. I hope to have better news for you in the near future.
Rancid
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Rancid »

Deleted by admin, this was an obvious flame.
The_Nighthawk
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by The_Nighthawk »

The_Nighthawk wrote:So the issue seems to be that when launching the game in WarZone, clicking on the 'New Multi-Player Game' button doesn't skip me past the 'Multiplayer Steup' screen like it should, either when hosting, or joining. It acts like a regular LAN game setup.

Every port and firewall and everything has been set and checked and re-checked to death. I still can't pass the DX Port test, and get different ports failing each time.
I now have a new router intstalled. I have the exact same issues. Any ideas would be appreciated.

New Windows Vista machine running behind the new G2 router from Linksys.
Playing BoP whenever the wife allows!
sean_west
Commander
Commander

Post by sean_west »

I have a similar issue.
My laptop is running xp and will connect for about 20 seconds then die.
I have found that it only happens when my wife's Vista laptop is within range. Even with wireless off, and me using cables, it still happens.
I really hate Vista and it's smug attitude.
The only thing stopping me from buying a Mac Air Book is that it won't run BoTF.

So night_hawk, make sure that any wireless signals are turned off completely.
Make sure that any satelite system is not using your phone line.

It took me about 2 months to get mine working... My answer, Hide the wife's computer.. lol lol lol
Like the bad guy from so many horror films,

I have returned

Return to “Multiplayer Games”