Yet another Franken-Monster-Stein-BOTF-Whatever

Other Projects; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Yet another Franken-Monster-Stein-BOTF-Whatever

Post by Callahan »

Here is another BOTF clone. It's a crap game combining BOTF and Starfleet command.
It's singleplayer and does not support online or network gaming, but only offers limited hotseat ability.
Most of the combat speech is german, except those taken from BOTF.
It's a Win32 application.

So here is an update. Got a few things fixed. It's actually a .rar file yet I had to name it to .dat to be able to upload it.
http://d01.megashares.com/dl/H7454PP/BOTF-SFC.dat
Rename it to BOTF-SFC.rar and unpack it.

Thanks to Flocke we know that users with newer OS have to use compatibility mode for savegames to be created.
Last edited by Callahan on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the klingon empire at www.goldentowns.com/?i=352931
Become an affiliate of Kahless himself and play for free to earn real money!

You will be protected and advised by the chancellor himself.
Long live the empire!
Q'pla!
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Yet another Franken-Monster-Stein-BOTF-Whatever

Post by Flocke »

this is awesome dude :!:
where did you find it?

I play tested it a few hours, there'S alot of effort put into this, well done for just a month!

there are lots of issues ofc but once you've found out how it works (you're lost without reading the readme so read it! ^^) it is pretty playable
one tip for the start, select a human empire before clicking on new game ;)

the worst issues I had is:
  • save doesn't work, neither F6 nor by F12 + selecting save slot / or at least I failed to load it but I see nothing saved on the disk
  • I easily hit esc next to f1 key which immediately quits the game *ough*
further on start I get a warning notice your VC++ edition doesn't allow redistribution of compiled executables. got me a bit confused :roll:
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

The whole thing got hurried into release. Because there is not much time to work on it the next few weeks, the release would have been delayed well into the next year.

After saving by F6, there should be a "SAVEGAME" file in the assets folder, which gets loaded on F9. Or "SAVEGAME1", 2, 3 etc. for the slots. At least it does on Win98 and 2K.
This ESC thing, will be changed. Maybe some dialogue box.

That warning.... well this game is built by the book, literally. ( It's actually a heavily modified C++ tutorial sample :roll: )
The tutorial C++ prohibits commercial use for the executables, as it's just a training C++.

So far, so bad. There are probably lots of small bugs or debugging function leftovers. They will eventually be cleaned up.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

ahh, so you actually did it yourself, cool!
talking in third person "said to be done" like also to be found in the readme I thought you found it on the net

and nope there are no savegames with win8 but might work in compability mode
edit: tested with xp sp2 compability it works

as for vc++ just get "Express 2013 for Windows Desktop" over here:
http://www.visualstudio.com/products/vi ... express-vs
the express versions are for free and as long you're not using MFC it's fine
edit: hm, just realized it requires minimum win7. for xp you can get "Visual C++ 2010 Express" e.g. over here:
http://www.chip.de/downloads/Visual-C-2 ... 81894.html
don't tell me you're still using win98 or 2k 8O

it has a pretty unique play style compared to the other frankenstein clones and I'm looking forward to your updates! :D
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Well, in the light of any possible copyright infringement I have to honestly deny any connection to the creation of this...thing.
Let's say I'm just pretty well informed.
And I still use Win98 ( FE ) as primary OS, with Win2K on another system for those more modern tasks.
Programming skill got stuck in the 90ies, too. Yet that ESC thing works now.

Nice to hear the play style is approved of. I always regretted BOTF did not allow to capture ships in combat.
The SFC engine offered a much more detailed tactical component, yet totally lacked a strategic level.
The combination of both seemed to be a logical conclusion.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Callahan wrote:Well, in the light of any possible copyright infringement I have to honestly deny any connection to the creation of this...thing.
Let's say I'm just pretty well informed.
haha, ok but great work though, even if based on a book and what not
my kudos to the creator of this ;)
Callahan wrote:Nice to hear the play style is approved of. I always regretted BOTF did not allow to capture ships in combat.
The SFC engine offered a much more detailed tactical component, yet totally lacked a strategic level.
The combination of both seemed to be a logical conclusion.
yep it's quite cool, though I'm lost on the ship draft screen
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Redeployment is quite simple. The ships in the lower part are those in the selected fleet. Ships in the above are in other fleets that sector.
Left click to move a ship into or outta fleet & right click to open the ship modification screen, just like the shipyard in system screen. So you can design each ship to fit a role of your desire. Or refit them to the current design specifications of that class.

Ahh, and did I mention you can terraform a planet into another type if you tech levels are high enough?
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Callahan wrote:right click to open the ship modification screen, just like the shipyard in system screen. So you can design each ship to fit a role of your desire. Or refit them to the current design specifications of that class.
yeah but for the modification screen I am lost what stuff to pack on my ships, there are too many possibilities :D
will need to have more combats and figure it out
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Yes, if you never played the board game "Star fleet battles" from Amarillo, or the Starfleet command 1 / 2 computer games you will not know much about the weapon data. They are almost all from that games.
What stuff you need can depend on your enemy. If they are coming with lots of drones, you would do well to increase tractors or the defensive Phaser 3.
Plasma torpedoes can be sent into deep space with a "Wild Weasel shuttle". So a better shuttlebay might be of advantage.
Some weapons, like the hellbore, disruptor and PPD work well at ranges between 10 and 15, while the fusion cannon is only usefull at point blank, but then VERY usefull.

And, of course, look at your tech level for a weapon. The higher the level, the smaller they can be, and the more you can fit on a ship.
adi
Commander
Commander

Post by adi »

been stalking this post for a few days; don't really want to get into something new with a steep learning curve; but you tickled my interest; i'll check it out
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Can this be downloaded from somewhere where you don't need to register? I'd like to try it.
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Erm..register? Just tried it, just hit "regular download" then at the lower part of page "download file"
Should work.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I'd not have tested it if it asked to register :roll:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Callahan, do you want feedback on this? One glaring gamebreaking bug is when there is a power shortage and you dont address it. 65535 power consumption should be easy to track and fix
Callahan
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Callahan »

Feedback would be nice, of course.
The power counters are fixed already, as well as the onscreen combat text on the enemy ship and the indicator that marks your own shield facing towards the combat target.
Presently, Tethys planet types are being prepared to be included, in case he grants permission to use them. Yet the terraforming tree still makes trouble, as they are very different in size.

Return to “Other Projects”