Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

WoofSonOfDog
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: Windows 7 problems/solutions please post them here

Post by WoofSonOfDog »

Howdy all,

I've read through this thread and have tried many of the "fixes" within, but I have not found an answer to the issue I am seeing:

After installing BoTF using the multi-installer, I seem to have an issue where the mouse cursor does not appear unless directly over a button, though at times it "flickers" as I move it around the screen. This is annoying, but I can live with it if needs be, but I also have an issue I have noticed that when on a large map, any time I have a ship selected, or I mouse over anyting that is selectable, the mouse seems to lag. I am hoping that there is a workaround out there somewhere for these issues.

In case it helps:
Win 7 64-bit
GEForce GTX 660 - 344.75 drivers
I have tried running my desktop at the native resolution of BoTF, both vanilla and with the higher-resolution mods, and same issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi WoofSonOfDog welcome to the forum,

first thing I would suggest would be to try a different mouse or check your mouse settings. But this sound strictly mouse related. Are you using some kind of gaming mouse or is this just a standard mouse?

thunderchero
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

to me it rather sounds like the win8 mouse lag issue, see win8 topic for solutions
flickering and hidden mouse on main menu screen is a common graphic bug with botf, but so far I've only seen or read about that to happen on the main menu screen
Sorgun
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Sorgun »

Hi I recently was told about this game from a friend, and wanted to play it, but I can't get the game to work. I downloaded the multi installer, chose the SOFTWARE version over hades, and it seemingly installed fine, but when ever I click on the shortcut, my screen goes black for a little bit (this is normal when loading games) and then it just takes me back to my desk top. I know the game is running because I can see it running in my task manager.

I've tried all kinds of different compatibility modes, but I've had no luck with any of them. I've messed with the settings under compatibility, trying them all in different combinations, but to avail. I always run it as the admin. I went to stbof.ini and changed sound to off, and movieon to off, and I made sure that 3D was set to software. I've even went to my Nvidia control panel and made sure that the aspect ratio wasn't trying to scale the resolution. I'm at a complete loss guys, I just don't know what to do.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core i7 CPU
6144MB RAM
DirectX Version 11
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
Windows 7 64-bit
WoofSonOfDog
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by WoofSonOfDog »

Thanks for the response. I do happen to use a Microsoft sidewinder pro, so I'll see if I swap that with a normal mouse if that does the trick. Otherwise, it does happen everywhere, not just at the main screen, which is why I haven't spent allot of time reading over the Win 8 mouse lag solutions, Since they seem to be a different issue. Well let you know what happens when I get a chance to test again.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Sorgun,

not sure this sounds like a video driver problem.

you can try DxWnd

thunderchero
Sorgun
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Sorgun »

Thank you thunderchero, you solved my problem effortlessly!

If I have any more problems I will be back again.
WoofSonOfDog
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by WoofSonOfDog »

Well, thunderchero, looks like you were right about the gaming mouse causing the flickering cursor...after swapping the mouse, it now happens primarily on the main menu. The only thing is, I still get an odd sort of lag when I mouse over different items, like when I am on the build screen and the mouse cursor moves over one of the buildings I can select, or on the map screen when I mouse over or select a ship. It's much easier to work around now that I can see the cursor most of the time, but still annoying. I don't remember it being that noticeable back in the day.

Anyways, if you can think of anything else that might help with the odd lag, it would be much appreciated, but thank you very much for your assitance so far!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

WoofSonOfDog wrote: if you can think of anything else that might help with the odd lag, it would be much appreciated
you can try DxWnd it has many mouse control options on input tab. also you can still use in full screen if you prefer.

thunderchero
WoofSonOfDog
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by WoofSonOfDog »

Perfect...looks like DxWnd takes care of all of the issues, and I can even use my Sidewinder with it...thanks for the help!
DarthXavius
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by DarthXavius »

Hi all,

Just registered for the forums because I am having a very weird crash. I've looked all over the forums and can't find anyone with this particular CTD, so heres whats happening:

Original un-modded install from the 1999 CD. Turn 464, Romulans. Been playing fine, having the normal battle crashes and whatever, doesn't bother me. Turn 462, construction finished on a Singularity Plant in system Kitaria. Since then, everytime I try to go to the system view (production view) for Kitaria, I get an immediate CTD, no crash log generated, no hang up in the game as it crashes. I tried selecting Kitaria using the left and right scroll with the keyboard arrows when in system view, I tried clicking on the drop down systems menu in system view, and I've tried double clicking on Kitaria, all cause an immediate crash and I can't nail this one down. This has never happened before and it is not affecting any other systems or saved games. Any help is appreciated.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

any thing in crash log?

crash.log is located in install folder.

thunderchero
DarthXavius
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by DarthXavius »

Crash log is blank, nothing in there to post. I had it sorta fixed when I was trying to correct the minor race can't propose treaties bug when they rebel after subjugation, but now I have a UE problem causing all my funds, income, and discovered status with all major and minor races to reset to 0 or undiscovered. Even when (re)discovered I can't form trade routes now. I used the UE Check Integrity feature and overwrote my save file since I can't figure out how to edit the extracted files with a hex editor. I've posted in the "editing Savegames" thread so if this not relevant to here, my apologies and please ignore. Thanks for the follow up, its frustrating when Im almost on turn 500....
Dngnmastr
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dngnmastr »

Hi, I've been using All-the-Ages mod for several years now, no issues until last night, when (after Blizzard insisted) I updated my NVIDIA drivers. After that, when I run either All-Ages (large or Small) OR Vanilla, it goes through the cinematic as usual, then halts at the Options screen. All of the screen is there and the music is playing, but the screen and all buttons are 'greyed out', and no mouse cursor. The only thing I can do is shut it down via Task Manager.

I've reinstalled both the Multi-downloader and All-Ages, using the most-current versions available, no change.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it, as this is still my favourite computer game (after 15 years!).

If it's helpful, I'm using a GeForce GTX 570, driver version is 9.18.13.4752 (February 5, 2015)

(EDIT): I've discovered by random clicking on the Options screen, that you CAN click on buttons, if only blindly. However, when you click on the "New Game" button, the 'Select Race' screen only partially appears (no 'Select Galactic Power to control' voice-over) and there are no Races filling in the blanks, it's like the mask is there, but no data.
Last edited by Dngnmastr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Dngnmastr,
Dngnmastr wrote: All of the screen is there and the music is playing
first you can try turning off sound in stbof.ini (each mod/install has separate file)
if that works you can try a newer mss32.dll
Mss32.rar
(120.81 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
you can also try dxwnd

thunderchero

Return to “Support Archive”