UDM4 (no longer in development)

Ultimate Dominion Mod; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: UDM4 Ideas, Suggestions... Interest?

Post by Dafedz »

Thanks Thunder, nice to see you man :)

Thanks for your reply Flocke. I have to agree with you on these points. But I guess the reason I was reluctant to release UM5 is because it uses the many tweaks, fixes, and additions over the years (particularly to trek.exe) that others have (heroically) implemented, so it feels like a cheat to me. It's not my work, it wouldn't be my mod, so I would hate to pass it off as such.

I would be interested in putting my head together with another modder who does have these skills - to collaborate on a new mod, perhaps. But much of what I built for my personal UM5 was modelled around the awesome work of Gowron, and the many fixes/enhancements he made in his Balance of Power mod. You can mod someone else's mod to your heart's content for you own personal play, but I would never release a mod that had so much of someone else's blood, sweat and tears in. And, I have to face it, the know-how to make these alterations myself are somewhat beyond my knowledge/confidence to do. I was fine with changing game stats and figures, changing minors around (even majors), creating new 3D models and entirely new screens and interfaces, etc. But when it comes to understanding (and messing with) raw hex, I just don't have the expertise. So there you have it.

Thanks also to your response in regards to Minors. That's encouraging. If it were ever possible to raise that number to 59, that would awesome indeed :). The Turn lag is a nightmare tho. In the practice game I'm running now i'm at Turn 380 or something (playing on a map size of 37x27). The Romulans are eliminated. I haven't even met the Ferengi yet. Average Turn time: 15 minutes. 15 Minutes! I have a high end system, but this just ain't right. It's virtually unplayable, with only 4 Turns per hour. So this is a big problem.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I think Gowron would feel honoured for any mod featuring his sophisticated work. Sadly we've not heard for a long while of him and the last we heard lead to assume the worst. I hope he is well. :(

As for your turn time. Micromanagement troubles me alot too. I think there's good potential to optimize.
And for AI turn processing, like I said this can be worked on. ;)
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

QuasarDonkey has a trek.exe patcher tool that just click and add the code/bugfix to trek.exe it even has redundancy check for conflicting patches, and you can create your own patches so you dont have to look at hex all day (like I used to do).
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Dafedz
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dafedz »

Cheers Tethys that sounds really good. I'll check it out. I used to use a basic hex editor in the old days, just for changing data in individual files etc, or adding/changing ship entries in trek.exe, but I never touched the rest of it before, probably because in those days it hadn't been very well analysed yet.

I didn't know about Gowron. Hope he's okay, what's the score on that?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Dafedz wrote:I didn't know about Gowron. Hope he's okay, what's the score on that?
no one really knows for sure, but it has been over 2 years since he last signed into site, and is not responding to PM's or e-mails.

also Dcer has been mia for about 1/2 a year too and same no responce from e-mails or PM's

thunderchero
robertbc73
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by robertbc73 »

Interest? YES!!!
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

greetings everyone! It has been quite awhile since I have come around these parts. RL and such has been crazy for me. I must confirm this project is dead in it's current form but it would be great to get back into gaming a bit with some new and old peeps. Shoot me a pm sometime :)
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi xDx,

sorry to here you will be not continuing this project. If you want you can upload your progress and I will see if someone wants to continue, but this is up to you.

thunderchero
xDx
Commander
Commander

Post by xDx »

I would happily take you up on that offer TC; however, while upgrading my system a couple months back I lost everything I had saved for UDM4. This was, unfortunately, a catalyst for me to stop work on the project. :(
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." -- FDR
Fanman
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Fanman »

Good luck. Really looking forward to it.

Return to “Ultimate Dominion Mod”