X solarsystems at tech Y

This forum is for outdated or irrelevant Modding Information that may or may not be 3 months old.

Moderator: thunderchero

Turner
Ensign
Ensign

X solarsystems at tech Y

Post by Turner »

I´ve seen it in some mods, but didn't found it in the forum so far.

So my question ist how can I change the number of starting systems in relation to the starting tech.

I hope you can help me.
Gowron
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Gowron »

The numbers of additional starting systems are stored in
meprvnum.bin
(4 bytes each, sorted by empire first, then by tech level).
There are entries for a sixth empire, but they seem to be ineffective (probably because there's no sixth empire ^^).

But there are severe limits. On the first three starting levels, no additional starting systems can exist. On the fourth starting level, there can't be more than one additional starting system per empire.

On the fifth (i.e. the highest) starting level, there can be up to eigth additional starting systems, but since empires can start at the edge of the map, it's not safe to set the value to 6 or higher (a 5 works, since empires cannot start in the corners).
A discovery consists in seeing something everybody has seen and at the same time thinking something nobody has thought yet.
Turner
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Turner »

Thank you Gowron

Interesting thing with the slot for the sixth empire.
Probably Microprose had had the idea to add the Dominion in a specific phase of the project^^
alben_42
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Post by alben_42 »

I have played games where I actually did start in one of the corners of the map. Is that unusual or am I not understanding something?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

if it was the very corner with only 3 sectors around you than game would have crashed with new settings, but vanilla would have no problems.

I have played 1000's of game and I can't remember ever starting in the very corner.

thunderchero
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Can't say i've started right in the corner of a map either.

On the edge is the holy grail for me because there's a whole flank you'll never have to worry about guarding and as your empire expands you put a massive amount of distance between your enemies and your home systems :D
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder

Return to “Modding Information Archive”