New ST Series Commissioned by CBS*

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

cleverwise
Captain
Captain

New ST Series Commissioned by CBS*

Post by cleverwise »

So CBS has announced a new ST series coming in 2017. It will be on their paid streaming service instead of broadcast TV but will be a new series with new shows created on a regular basis. So we will see what develops.

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-sta ... nuary-2017
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: New ST Series Commissioned by CBS*

Post by KrazeeXXL »

by Alex Kurtzman who wrote Into Darkness and the 2012 one - whatever its name was (forgotten the plot, too, lol).

I remember Kurtzman from some forum where fans voiced their opinion about the new trashy timeline movies and he came over as a huge douchebag. He seemed pretty proud that he got the job and looked down on the die hard fans of the franchise.

So yea, I'm not expecting much.

I miss Berman and Piller.

The good thing about a 2017 series is that fans will tear it apart over the internet if it isn't any good. So, it has to be high quality. Superficial Jar Jar Abrams high gloss lense flare shit isn't going to cut it.

What I'd like to see are the Worf Chronicles, though.

http://trekinitiative.wikia.com/wiki/Th ... Chronicles
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Yeah we will see. I am not holding my breath but since we don't have any details I am lightly optimistic.

I am glad to see something happening at least.

Jeremy
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I'm betting it's not going to be good. They put it on what is essentially PPV in all but name, and when not enough people buy it, they can kill the franchise.
Though why they'd want to kill the golden goose I'm unsure.

If it were good, they'd put it on regular TV in Prime Time like TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise were (DS9 aired on Saturdays at 8 or 9 for me, although for the first season I think it was in prime time).
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I guess we'll see something which fits our time. The old spirit of ST is probably gone for good. What the people now want are explosions. Those are cool in the Borderlands series, though. The whole action thing was fun in Battlestar Galactica but ST is so much more.

I think most of you'll be surprised when I say that we could expect a good series when Jar Jar Abrams is involved. Imo, his TV-series are pretty good. LOST and Almost Human come to mind. Anyway, a new ST series is either going to be hit or miss.

ST was always revolutionary. I remember watching it on BBC as a child. It was amazing and groundbreaking at the time. Imo only VOY was able to be similiar in that regard to TNG. Personally, I'd like to see what comes after the Enterprise E when the Voyager came back. I'm not really interested in some recycled Kirk and Spock action although Karl Urban pretty much rocked McCoy. There has to be a new crew and new ships. One would think that with all the DVD boxes we bought for hundreds - if not thousand of dollars - the franchise would have enough money to finally give us what we want.
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

Whose the we? I can't afford to subscribe to anything until I get a new job. I've been out of work since March and unemployment is out. On the other hand, there is hope, I just got called about a second interview for Tuesday.
If it aired on regular TV I'd watch, but anything PPV is out. I can't afford more than basic broadband. Call me a cheapskate, but when you have nothing coming in and expenses going out with your savings dwindling, it's necessary to be one.
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

KrazeeXXL wrote:by Alex Kurtzman who wrote Into Darkness and the 2012 one - whatever its name was (forgotten the plot, too, lol).

I remember Kurtzman from some forum where fans voiced their opinion about the new trashy timeline movies and he came over as a huge douchebag. He seemed pretty proud that he got the job and looked down on the die hard fans of the franchise.

So yea, I'm not expecting much.

I miss Berman and Piller.

The good thing about a 2017 series is that fans will tear it apart over the internet if it isn't any good. So, it has to be high quality. Superficial Jar Jar Abrams high gloss lense flare shit isn't going to cut it.

What I'd like to see are the Worf Chronicles, though.

http://trekinitiative.wikia.com/wiki/Th ... Chronicles

My Hype just ended right away when I read that Kurtzman will be in charge -.-. Damn
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

slickrcbd wrote:Whose the we? I can't afford to subscribe to anything until I get a new job. I've been out of work since March and unemployment is out. On the other hand, there is hope, I just got called about a second interview for Tuesday.
If it aired on regular TV I'd watch, but anything PPV is out. I can't afford more than basic broadband. Call me a cheapskate, but when you have nothing coming in and expenses going out with your savings dwindling, it's necessary to be one.
We shall see however a growing number of people including me are cord cutters. The future isn't in the old TV model at least in the USA. So I don't think CBS is making a bad move by not airing it on their broadcast channel. I don't have "cable" TV anymore and nor do I want to go back.

I am 100% digital streaming with Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube and if it isn't on one of those I don't see it. I will join CBS to watch the new Trek at least to give it a go. I have been thinking of joining that anyway. I also know a growing number of my friends and family are streamers too. To heck with the old paradigm.

As for how it will be we shall see. I am not super optimistic still you never know for sure until it comes out.

Jeremy
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I just see the current "pay for everything ala carte" as costing more via being nickel and dimed.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

slickrcbd wrote:I just see the current "pay for everything ala carte" as costing more via being nickel and dimed.
That depends on your watching habits and it does vary by country. My "cable" bill (I had digital TV service from the phone company) was $80 a month. Most of my family and many friends have $90 to $120 TV bills. That does NOT include the Internet or phone. So if one adds Netflix, Hulu, CBS, and even Youtube Red you aren't even at $40 per month.

Plus you get to watch what you want to watch when you want to watch it. The biggest issue for many people is sports. So far there are not great sport streaming sources in the USA at least. However again many people pay for hundreds and hundreds of channels and don't want but a dozen or so. I had 450 channels and often there was nothing on that interested me. This is not true with streaming. I have years of content.

The future is in being able to pick the stations/content you want rather than have it rammed down your throat. For example I am not a sports guy and always was annoyed at having to pay for ESPN. I didn't want ESPN. Why should my money support them and raise my bill because I wanted Discovery? But nope you want Discovery you get ESPN and the higher cost to pay for it.

That is a flawed and thankfully dying model and I am very happy I am not in that system anymore.

Jeremy

Return to “General Chat”