hi all. are TSBOTF active?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

shaorin
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

hi all. are TSBOTF active?

Post by shaorin »

hi all im new to star trek. i have start watch the TNG witch i own. but i was looking on youtube and i find some cool games....

so i wonder is this game active do people play it? are it possiable to get some online play on this?
and i jsut would like to get some freinds.
im really new to the game so i look at some LP's to learn and looks like a fun and cool game.

if you are intressted you can add my skype: qvika_gilla
i preffer to talk for its easier for me i have dyslexsia^^
jlberner13
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: hi all. are TSBOTF active?

Post by jlberner13 »

There is still a community on here...and I'm sure you can get some games. Browse the multiplayer sections and you will see people putting together games here and there. Start playing the SP a lot to get the feel for it...
shaorin
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by shaorin »

oo i see thanks alot... i will try to make a post in teh MP forum to see if i can get any help for there.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Some of us are still here and yes the game is played and still under development.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
shaorin
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by shaorin »

still under development.???
ok are the vanilla game not so good so you most mod and make it better?

if this is the case what do you recomanmd i play? i dont know where to find the mods, or what to get....
i belive i play the v1.0 for i jsut installed it from the CD.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

shaorin wrote:still under development.???
Yes it is still developed although slowly but heck the game is almost 20 years old.
shaorin wrote:ok are the vanilla game not so good so you most mod and make it better?
Yeah the mods make it like a whole other game or games. I prefer the Ultimate Mod v5. You'll need to install the multi-installer version NOT the CD version. There are also graphic enhancing packs too.
shaorin wrote:i belive i play the v1.0 for i jsut installed it from the CD.
Ah.. dump the CD version and use the multi-installer version.

Jeremy
shaorin
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by shaorin »

oo i see. but i installed it on my windows 98 SE, will this installar work there too?

from my understanding from youtube, abit older videos like 1-3 years, they say its not so stable and it can crash and get weird on newer OS's i have windows 10.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

shaorin wrote:oo i see. but i installed it on my windows 98 SE, will this installar work there too?
The installer works on many versions of Windows including up to Win 10. I was using the game on Windows XP until just recently when I didn't want my XP VM anymore and just moved it over to a Win 7 VM.
shaorin wrote:from my understanding from youtube, abit older videos like 1-3 years, they say its not so stable and it can crash and get weird on newer OS's i have windows 10.
Well the game is buggy but the multi-installer makes it more stable. Not prefect because the community doesn't have the source code which would help and TC tried to get it. Therefore things have to be patched by reverse engineering instead of just looking at the raw code.

So is the multi-installer bug free? No unfortunately. Is it far better than the CD version? Oh yeah! Therefore keep the CD as a novelty but play the multi-installer which is free from this site.

Jeremy
shaorin
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by shaorin »

thanks io will try... i will look if it works on win 9x. or if i need move it. i will report back.

are there any guides on how to think around game? i did read some tutorials but those did not help me i learnt all that from LP's i watched/watching what i want more to know are:
how to think?
what to buid?
how to make a difance?
when should i attack or wait? (like i tryed to attack the romulens as turn 90 did get killed at turn 105 i was the kliongs here)
what race are good to learn?
this types of things. i know alot is learned by playing. but just some small things just so you get started.
PS. i play on tech 1, AI level lowest, galixy siprarl or the other one not the ring, i have minor races and random events.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

You can read over some of the threads on this board.

The best way to learn is what you brought up: play. However you can start yourself off at a higher tech level than the AIs. That will give you an edge. The Federation is easier if you want to build out your empire based on relationships. The Romulans are probably the easiest because they can cloak almost everything and you can usually run away if encounter unflavorable battle odds.

Some of this depends on if you are play vanilla or a mod. The mods can and do changes some things. However when you are learning turn off random events as more often they set you back.

There are many small tricks like in vanilla combine a colony and transport ship into one fleet and a planet will be terraformed in one turn regardless of size. Also make sure you have double plus one transport ground combat when trying to take a planet along with at least one capital ship per orbital.

There are lots of tips on this board just play the game and slowly do some research you'll find them.

Jeremy
shaorin
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by shaorin »

oo i see thanks alot i will try.

well after fun installation on USB 1.1 took me like 30 min and like 15-20 min compressing the files i can say it works for win 9x. not problems so far i did just start then game so i will play some tomorrow,,,
however when it compressing it do that for engliosh and german even if you only want english... it looks weird and can give missinformation..
but when i looked in the folder i only get the english version.

Return to “General Chat”