Why do you visit armadafleetcommand

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Why do you visit armadafleetcommand

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Everyone,

Our founder AFC has gone MIA like many of our long time members, and I guess the support of the server has fallen in to my hands now. While for a long time I have had control of day to day activities, but let's face it, here lately the site has not been very active.

I have made many friends here over the years, but have also lost track of more than I can count. Many have taught me things and other have inspired me to do better.

So I ask all of you still out there, Why do you visit armadafleetcommand?

thunderchero
Banuk
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Why should AFC remain online?

Post by Banuk »

I just fond out I could plat BOTF from a GOG post that directed me here. If not for this site and the link chain to get to it, I would still have no BoTF!

If there's a ton of cost or admin time investment I could see mothballing it, but if there isn't please keep it up.

If it's cost, please just throw up a paypal/e-wallet donate thing.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I never found a game again that excited me as much as BotF and even though our community is small I'd be very sad for it to completely vanish.
On the other hand I know it costs alot work and money too. And while I'd be happy to donate to keep the site up too, I for now am far too busy to invest much time.

Regarding the cost we possibly could also cut money by moving the download files to some free file hosters and move the site to another hoster too. Accepting some compromises I guess it'll run on some free web hosters too.

The community might have gone quiet with ppl partially coming by only once a year, but when the site goes off you'll completely cut all off.

So please keep it up! :up:
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

It really comes down to the community. TC this is mainly your project. If you had an all-in-one installer for the only file there are other places to put it. Still for me this community, while small, is nice and I see we do pick up new members.

I know it comes down to money keeping the site going. I would miss the site but again things do change. I would miss BotF too. If the site does shut down some lead time for the community to grab the files would be nice. I know for me I play only two mods.
Hailing frequencies close,

Jeremy
Whether you rise or fall depends on... you!
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

I'm a relative newcomer to the game. I found it at a library "book sale".
The value for me of this site was the resources for finding patches and mods all in one place with good descriptions.
The fact that there was a forum to answer some of my newbie questions was a great bonus as there aren't many places left to find it for such an old game.

That said, to be brutally honest, from the perspective of somebody like me, the downloads section is far more valuable than the active forum. Maintaining that is an extremely valuable resource, so if moderating and maintaining the forums gets to be too much, it would be appreciated if you could set the downloads section of the site to be left up.

The forums being available on the other hand is a good help for newbies like I was not that long ago.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

this post was not about shutting down the site. it was more about the question.
thunderchero wrote:So I ask all of you still out there, why would you want to see this site to continue?
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Even though the forums aren't that active anymore, I still check them just about every day. When it comes to PC gaming, BOTF was my first great love. and I still play it (if not as much as I used to). Just knowing the community is still here means a lot to me.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Well it is shocking that BotF has this support. Almost no game this old has this level of support with all the mods and even our small community.

I agree with the statement about having some comfort knowing this community is here. It is a hub for people interested in BotF. There really is no reason this community couldn't grow again and we do attract new users.

I, too, stop by daily although I don't post most of the time. Still I have a small handful of sites I check daily and this is one of them. So AFC means a good game, nice community, interesting mods, and Star Trek (old school).

Jeremy
slickrcbd
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by slickrcbd »

There are a few. Diablo and especially Diablo II has an active following, the Baldur's Gate series and related Icewind Dale series has several (Sorcerers' Place, SHSforusm, Ironworks Gaming, Gibberings3, and a couple others I don't care to name), There used to be an active site for Dungeon Master although I haven't been there in a while so I don't know how active it is, there is another for X-Com. I even found one for the MechWarrior 2 series. I would have mentioned the Starfleet Command series, but the link to the forum I had where I found help for an issue with XP limited accounts (and later standard accounts) is dead.
Last edited by slickrcbd on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cleverwise
Captain
Captain

Post by cleverwise »

Yeah a few have communities but not many. BotF is still in a very unique group.

Jeremy
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

The Armada side of things I never had much for.
I did enjoy the game, but it didn't have the "re-playability" BotF has, then the mods took it even farther.

I would probably take months to notice AFC going down, but would know within the week if This part of the site was down, as I noted recently on the facebook page.
zozozo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zozozo »

i like AFC cos it's the only trekkie place i visit though it certainly is less active than it used to be. i'd miss it if it were gone. but it's up to the owners/mods if they have the time to spend.

maybe it'll get a second wind when that new star trek series comes out, who knows?
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Why should AFC remain online?

For nostalgic reasons.

I guess there's still some love for this bug-ridden game somewhere. However, priorities change, communities vanish.

This community sadly just reflects what happened to ST itself.

It died.

I have to admit. That sounds a bit pessimistic. Well, lets say that there are few sparks of life left. But these could be enough to rekindle the flame. And this can't happen with the site gone.

In my opinion, it'd be sad to close it. All what's been written and found out here. It's an archive, a testimony of the people. Much work and thoughts were put in here. And they're worth something.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

This site is an amazing resource. I would hate to see it disappear. I have only recently discovered this place, but I've been a stbotf fanatic since its release. I imagine I will find many interesting and like-minded individuals here. I certainly am hoping to get some input from the members to help me resolve issues and enjoy all the great mods found here.

As others have said, if money is an issue....I would happily donate to help keep this site alive!
pal28
Commander
Commander

Post by pal28 »

the site should continue because of more new mods for botf and the reason why they have probably disappeared is to botf2
When will we have another Enterprise-E?

Return to “General Chat”