Which Mods Support MP?

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Which Mods Support MP?

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Ok...I made the change to the scout range and shared...and I ran into sync error. Are there any files besides trek.exe and stbof.res that need to be shared with my friends?
was this sync error on turn 1 or 2 or many turns into game? any crash log?
TheDragon wrote:1) Still only need to share the same 2 files?
those are only 2 files, but make sure your friend has the most up to date trek.exe since UE may edit it also. also after any changes you make with QD's patcher.
TheDragon wrote:2) Anything I need to do with the minor races to get them to use their nice shiney new ships? Or make sure they have dilithium?
2 locations, open stbof.res with UE.
1. edit/Races/race info, change "spacefaring (has dilthium)" so they can build ships
2. edit/AI/minor race attitude, change "explorer" if "yes" ships will move, if "no" ships will stay at minor's home world. But either setting minors will build ships.
TheDragon wrote:3) Should I just buckle down and become the supporter of the Mirror Mirror Mod Large mod? Would that get it a slot on the all in one? (and remove my paranoia about file swapping and compatibility)
that is up to you, but for public release you would need to contact Dafedz to get permission to base your mod on mirror mirror mod. but if you start from vanilla and named your mod some thing like "Birth of the Terran Empire" no permission would be needed.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Quick question...is there an upper limit on ship cost? I tried jacking up costs on a new ship type (and tried requiring tech past 10) and it didnt go so well. Industry build cost is listing as a negative number.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Is Dafedz still around to be contacted?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Quick question...is there an upper limit on ship cost? I tried jacking up costs on a new ship type (and tried requiring tech past 10) and it didnt go so well. Industry build cost is listing as a negative number.
this post has info on increasing build limits
viewtopic.php?f=234&t=464&p=16922#p16922
this is also the "Upgrade buildings bug (fix)" in QD's patcher

as for buildings and ships above tech 10, you would need to add new tech levels first.
info starts here
viewtopic.php?f=185&t=1531#p20978
TheDragon wrote:Is Dafedz still around to be contacted?
from time to time, it has been 3-4 months since he last visited. you could send him a PM
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

If I can actually get this thing edited and working in MP for my friends and I, I will send Dafedz a PM and see what happens.

Those last set of links and changes look a little scary. Ok, very scary!

Is there a tutorial somewhere on QD's patcher and what it does? I haven't done anything with it yet...and maybe that is part of my problem?

Here is the Crash Log from our last attempt:

ST:BOF Fri Dec 16 13:44:56 2016

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\comms\hartbeat.c, Line: 118, Synchroniztion Error on turn 0 with my empire 4 and player Empire 0:

My data:
seed = 974996245; crcTF = 26502; crcShip = 39216; crcMilSector = 0; crcSolarBld = 20414, crcDiplo = 0;

player data: seed = 901884044; crcTF = 22154; crcShip = 43443; crcMilSector = 0; crcSolarBld = 20414, crcDiplo = 0;

Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 4 Starting Seed: 1481917488
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 1
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I just opened the stbof.res file on my friends computer. I had created a copy of some ships and edited them. However, the new ships are not showing up when I open stbof.res in UE on my friends computer.

I feel like there are more files I should be passing.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:I just opened the stbof.res file on my friends computer. I had created a copy of some ships and edited them. However, the new ships are not showing up when I open stbof.res in UE on my friends computer.

I feel like there are more files I should be passing.
no, those are the only 2 files. you can transfer the complete MMM3 folder instead.

could you have transferred the wrong stbof.res (from vanilla or different mod?) each install has it's own file with exact same name, but in different folder.(Mirror Mirror mod is "MMM3" folder)

did you load correct mod in UE on his computer?

did he place replacement files in correct folder?

btw the error log would be expected on turn 0 if stbof does not match.

EDIT
TheDragon wrote:Is there a tutorial somewhere on QD's patcher and what it does? I haven't done anything with it yet...and maybe that is part of my problem?
QD's patcher is a simple tool to use, it does auto editing of trek.exe of pre-written patches.
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=2515#p35394
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I figured it out! I was using Google Drive to pass the files. Apparently it cached the original (unedited) MMM trek.exe and stbof.res files I had put up there first. I was deleting them and uploading my edited files, but Google Drive would just use the first files it had cached instead of actually uploading the new files! I put them in a zip file called MMMpatch and uploaded that. Problem solved!

Everything seems to be working fine with my varient. I sent Dafedz a PM and we shall see what he says.

Next step...figure out this scary hex editing stuff. And hoping for a good tutorial link on how to do it! 8)

Thanks again for all the help!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Next step...figure out this scary hex editing stuff. And hoping for a good tutorial link on how to do it!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=2926#p26480
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Ok. I edited trek.exe to add tech levels past 10. The next step is supposed to be adding entries for the new tech levels to stbof.res. However, I cant find a way to add entries. I can only editt the existing entries.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

to edit tech levels you need to use UE 0.7.2dev5c
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I am using UE 0.7.2dev5c ... the one that comes from the AllInOne Installer under tools. What I cant figure out is how to actually add new tech levels? I can edit the existing 10, but there are no buttons for adding new entries. I just can't figure out how it is done in UE.

Are there any mods that use tech levels past 10 already? It would be nice to see an example of what I am aiming for.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

opps, you must also enable experimental functions within UE to see add button.

edit/settings at bottom "enable experimental (not working) features"

edit; Galaxies mod, UCW, UM5 all have extra tech levels
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

And another problem fixed! I now have the build fix and the added Tech levels working on my variant. Doing a full review of vanilla vs MMM ship combat stats. Not sure I am going to tweak much, but its interesting looking at the stats as implemented and how the races compare. Its also interesting getting input from my friends on what might need changed for better game balance.

Example:
Klingon friend: the klingon attack cruiser should have cloaks like in the movies/tv. the feds and ferengi make too much money relative to the other races.
Federation friend: klingon ships are too powerful. cloaked ships are too powerful. federation vessels are too weak in combat.
etc.

I am not sure there are actually any problems with balance in the game. If there are, I am not sure which races suffer and what changes would need to be made. For now I am just reviewing and making a few small tweaks (like balancing terran empire diplomacy negatives vs slightly better warships).

Thanks again for the wonderful tools and all the pointers to great threads on how to do things!

Just curious....what other options are there in the experimental features for UE? Anything in there I should avoid using?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Just curious....what other options are there in the experimental features for UE? Anything in there I should avoid using?
that was only for the tech levels. that was the last change Dcer did to UE. Since then all the needed code changes have been found.

also the problem with structures above tech 10 has been fixed. This fix requires usage of a different tools by QD.

Use UE to edit structures to new tech levels. But to have proper tech level used in game you need to run QD's EdificePatcher before sharing files or beginning new game. If you need to edit with UE again, you need to re-run the EdificePatcher to reset tech levels for UE.
EdificePatcher-130122-w32.zip
(612.84 KiB) Downloaded 169 times

Return to “Multiplayer Games”