St:BotF and Hamachi

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

St:BotF and Hamachi

Post by TheDragon »

My son has been using Hamachi for gaming with his friends. I tried it for St:BotF and it worked fine.

Anyone have experience with Hamachi? Any reasons NOT to use it? I am paranoid about software by nature....
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Re: St:BotF and Hamachi

Post by TheDragon »

Ok. Worked fine was a bit premature. You have to do a little hoop jumping to get it to work.

I had to establish the Hamachi network. Disable my network connection. Start stbotf and get to the join screen. reenable my network connection. the I could finally see the stbotf host game over hamachi.

The big problem comes when you enter combat. stbotf essentially has to do some network connection stuff to enter combat and it fails because by default it uses the first network it comes across...in this case whatever network you are really using for the internet.

What I need is a way to force ST:BotF to use the Hamachi network by default. Any chance this is a fixable problem? For example, I am already using DXWnd to run ST:BotF. Can DXWnd be modified to send ST:BotF's network communications to a particullar network?

I have a decent knowledge of networking issues and I would be happy to do anything I can to help figure this out. Either that or I have to find another way to run ST:BotF games over the internet.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I think I have used Hamachi once, so I will not be much help.

iirc Hamachi still requires ports open.

most users currently use Game ranger for multi player connections. even using game ranger I suggest the proper ports open, but have heard game play without ports open but with more crashes/sync errors.

BOTF requires these ports;

47624 2300 2301 2302 2303 2305 2350 2400 TCP and UDP on all ports

Your router might have a preset ports if your list has "MSN Gaming Zone DX"
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I will check my router. But since Hamachi is functioning like a router....is it possible something needs to be set there? I will have to investigate.

Is there a nifty How-To for Game ranger? I'd very much like to get multiplayer working over the internet.

Return to “Multiplayer Games”