Which Mods Support MP?

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Which Mods Support MP?

Post by TheDragon »

I am getting a crash on turn 16 playing as Romulans on a 40x30 map. I have just built a shipyard on Gorn and I wanted to test the ability to build neutral race ships. If I go to Shipbuilding under the Gorn system I get a crash. Here is the relevant entry in the error log. I can reproduce this error every time.

ST:BOF Mon Dec 19 14:08:01 2016

Version Under Test: 72
File: scrllbar.c, Line: 288, minValue < maxValue
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 4 Starting Seed: 1482175833
Galaxy shape: 0 Galaxy Size: 0
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

It is very hard to know what is causing error without seeing/testing files.

but that said I still have a couple questions.
1. what code change did you use to allow building of minor race ships (simple or major)? I suggest the major code change.
2. exactly when is it crashing? entering ship building screen? start of turn? when you add ship to build queue?
3. any other code changes since last tested without errors?

reading error log it also makes me wonder if ship building is causing error since "scrllbar" sound like a gui error.

you might also want to set it back to "build special ships" and re-test for crash.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

thunderchero wrote:It is very hard to know what is causing error without seeing/testing files.

but that said I still have a couple questions.
1. what code change did you use to allow building of minor race ships (simple or major)? I suggest the major code change.
2. exactly when is it crashing? entering ship building screen? start of turn? when you add ship to build queue?
3. any other code changes since last tested without errors?

reading error log it also makes me wonder if ship building is causing error since "scrllbar" sound like a gui error.

you might also want to set it back to "build special ships" and re-test for crash.
1. I used the simple code change, assuming it was less likely to cause problems. Obviously I was wrong. 8)

2. It crashes in the system screen when you select Build Ships or if you are in a different system with Build Ships and you try to switch to the Gorn system (like when using left and right arrows to move between the systems). It crashes on the display which is consistent with a gui error on ship building.

3. I have been adding the Tech 10+ stuff, both the code and additional buildings. I might have to roll back a code change and track it down. I obviously didnt test this stuff enough.

As far as changing it back...should I uncheck the simple fix? and then try checking the major fix? I would prefer not to lose my last 6 hours of code work, but whatever I have to do to resolve this....
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:As far as changing it back...should I uncheck the simple fix? and then try checking the major fix?
changing selection with UE has always worked for me in past.

note; on adding ship models/structures if you are editing 800 x 600 no extra images are needed

if 1024 x 768
requires images for structures
new image 400 x 333 ****_c.tga

if 1366 x 768
requires images for structures
create copy of ****_60.tga and rename to ****_50.tga and add border image below
new image 706 x 590 ****_c.tga
requires images for ships
new image 270 x 225 i_***270.tga
50_border.png
50_border.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I am only using 800x600 atm. I am not yet ready to start adding new images. One day maybe...

I undid the simple change and the game seems to be behaving properly. So you recommend the major fix?

Does a minor race need to have a shipyard of their own with build minor race ships checked in order to be able to build ships? I noticed that other minor races seem to have their own shipyards if they have ships and dilithium.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:I undid the simple change and the game seems to be behaving properly. So you recommend the major fix?
major fix will allow your ships and minor ships to be built at minors systems. you lose the need for Utopia Planitia to build special ships. But Utopia Planitia still give morale bonus and ship construction bonus.
TheDragon wrote:Does a minor race need to have a shipyard of their own with build minor race ships checked in order to be able to build ships? I noticed that other minor races seem to have their own shipyards if they have ships and dilithium.
minors use the "shared" Basic Shipyard.
For minor to be able to build ships,
you must add a ship for each minor you want to have a ship.
and must be set to be "Built by" that minor.
And minor have dilth set.

the only other thing you might need to do is for structures.
using UE Edit/starting conditions/starting technology select "Auto-set All" then save
This resets any changes to all the structures to whom and when structures can be built.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Minor race ship building is now working! Next problem I hit: Maximum number of buildings reached. Is there a way to increase the maximum number of buildings? I am 23 short of my planned goal. The backup plan is to delete the L15 buildings I have completed and then find another 8 buildings which can go...
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

you trying to do a structure for each tech level 1-15?
I am not even sure what the max structures limit is?

but one way you might be able to get around this would be for all majors to share a single set of food or energy main structures?
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I am not doing the food and energy. Just the construction, intel, and research. There is indeed a maximum number of buildings...I would have to check the exact amount...383. Just barely enough to do Con 14, Intel 13, Research 13 buildings for all races.

Any idea if this value is modable? Or is this a hard limit?
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Ran into a problem with Tech levels beyond 10 and buildings that require them. Apparently when you unlock, say, Fabricator 10 with research it unlocks all Fabricators past 10 (ie, 11,12,13, and 14). They list properly in the object database (both in terms of tech required and color (ie, red)).
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Any idea if this value is modable? Or is this a hard limit?
it must be a hard limit to Edifice.bst file. but you would have 66 new structures to play with

but like I suggested;

vanilla main structures
5 race 45 + Primitive Farm = 230 total structures

new main structures
16 food shared by all races
15 energy shared by all races
5 races 3 main structures 1- 15 = 225
16 + 15 + 225 = 256
this would use 26 of the possible 66 structures (still leave 40 possible new structures)

note; no one has done this before.... all other mods that increased tech levels decreased or removed upgrades.

Galaxies mod - 6 main structures per race + 5 bonus structures per race (16 tech levels 0 - 15)
UnCivil wars - 6 main structures per race (24 tech levels 0 - 23)
Ultimate mod 5 - 6 main structures per race (13 tech levels 0 - 12)

all above mods use % bonus increase per tech level, instead of structure upgrade to improve bonus.

viewtopic.php?f=181&t=238
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Ran into a problem with Tech levels beyond 10 and buildings that require them. Apparently when you unlock, say, Fabricator 10 with research it unlocks all Fabricators past 10 (ie, 11,12,13, and 14). They list properly in the object database (both in terms of tech required and color (ie, red)).
after any building/structure change you need to "Auto-reset all" in Edit/starting conditions/starting technology and if any structures set above tech 10 (even main structures) run QD's EdificePatcher before sharing files or beginning new game.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Found the EdificePatcher. I want to make sure I know how to use it properly (although I am considering various options you have presented here). What exactly does it do? And when do I need to run it?

If I understand correctly, I load up my stbof.res file in UE and make my changes. I then do "Auto-reset all" in Edit/starting conditions/starting technology. Save file. Then I run the EdificePatcher.

Any time I make changes to buildings (or is it every time I make any changes to stbof.res?) I have to do the above procedure?

Chances are I am going to take the plunge on adding new ship models. Might as well point me to the tutorial now. Please?

Thanks again for all your help!

PS- I think you have heard those words many times on this board. You really do amazing things helping all these people. I am SO grateful I have an opportunity to play with this game again. If you have any mods that need testing, let me know.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:What exactly does EdificePatcher do?
The EdificePatcher is a tool QD created for me when I was working on UCW, EdificePatcher will patch the Edifice.bst and the trek.exe to allow building structures above tech 10. EdificePatcher will change the format of the Edifice.bst (this new format UE does not recognize) and add code changes to trek.exe for new format of Edifice.bst file.
TheDragon wrote:And when do I need to run EdificePatcher?
every time, before and after opening mod (stbof.res) with UE. (if structures use tech above tech 10).

The EdificePatcher has 3 options (it really only needs 2)
option 1, is used after editing with UE "allow building structures at tech level" (note tech level will auto set)
option 2, is used before editing with UE "reset tech levels 0-10 (for UE)"
EdificePatcher.jpg
EdificePatcher.jpg (160.42 KiB) Viewed 7103 times
option 3, "shift all tech requirements by" is an option added by QD for a special situation that I have never used myself.
TheDragon wrote:If I understand correctly, I load up my stbof.res file in UE and make my changes. I then do "Auto-reset all" in Edit/starting conditions/starting technology. Save file. Then I run the EdificePatcher.

Any time I make changes to buildings (or is it every time I make any changes to stbof.res?) I have to do the above procedure?
run EdificePatcher every time before and after using UE. (only if structure use above tech 10)

run "Auto-reset all" after any structure change. if only a stat/bonus change it would not be needed. But if tech level or controlling race change it is a must to set who and when structure can be built.
TheDragon wrote:Chances are I am going to take the plunge on adding new ship models. Might as well point me to the tutorial now. Please?
adding-new-models-using-ue
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Thank you for the link. It doesnt look as difficult as I thought. A couple quick questions.

Does the number of beam weapons have to match the number of beam mounts for the model? I know I have alreaddy made some changes by duplicating a ship and then changing its loadout.

Where do you get these ship packs UE is using to add ships? Can you export models from a modded stbof.res and then import them?

Return to “Multiplayer Games”