Which Mods Support MP?

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Which Mods Support MP?

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Does the number of beam weapons have to match the number of beam mounts for the model?
on simple replacement, no
if second or third of shared phaser slot, yes
TheDragon wrote:Where do you get these ship packs UE is using to add ships?
download page for ship packs
https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... =44&ssid=4
also ship packs can be found in this section as attachments. (not all new models were added to download section)
viewforum.php?f=9
TheDragon wrote:Can you export models from a modded stbof.res and then import them?
yes, UE has export function to create new ship packs
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I wonder what happens if you dont have your beam weapon count match the beam mounts for the model? I am pretty sure I have this messed up in a few random locations. I am going to have to work hard to find them if its a real problem.

So far so good, thou. Got a 4 player game to turn 180. Comp started on L5, my daughter on L4, everyone else on L3. 52x39 map. It was quite the game! Had a couple crashes along the way, but thats to be expected, I think. Might have to start tracking the error logs on crashes and see if I can figure out where the problems come in.

Thanks again for all your help! I have learned alot and really hope I get a chance to show off my work here. Still on my To Do List:

1) Unify the energy and food structures for all races to save myself 54 structure slots. I will probably add structures at some point, but I dont have any plans yet.

2) Import some unique images for ships to use for neutral races. I like more space-faring neutrals and I want their ships to look distinctive.

3) Expand the ship selection slightly for each race. If I can get a unique model or two for each race, I would love to add a ship type or two to each race. Something to reflect the new tech levels available.

4) Clean up the current models vs beam weapons problem.

5) Possible tweak of ship stats pending combat testing. Ok, probably tweak.... 8)

If I somehow manage to get this far with clean code, I might consider modding Vanilla to match my work and call it my own....if I dont hear back from Dafedz.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:I wonder what happens if you dont have your beam weapon count match the beam mounts for the model?
you would get a crash log similar to this

Version Under Test: 72
File: object.cpp, Line: 495, slotNumber <objData>TotalObjectSlot
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 1 Starting Seed: 1256081452
Galaxy shape: 2 Galaxy Size: 0
Turn State: 20
Turn Number: 83
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I will definately watch out for that error. I will also fix the problem when I get the chance.

Another question. I've been reading the forums on minor races and how they advance and how to edit how they advance. I think I could go in and edit the code to make them advance faster or slower. My big problem is the industry and research that gets brought to the game in lower starting conditions. I also think you can edit the race technology settings and change the numbers there. Is there any reason one method is better than the other. One allows a quick fix for all races. The other takes time, but you end up with minor races with the correct feel.

I played a 3 player game recently where we started on 2s. One player found 11 neutral races including one with a 550 pop system with a neutral race with Tech 8 and there were plenty more nice ones. The other two found 2 minors between them and they were 3s and 4s. Needless to say it was a very lopsided game. I am thinking of making a varient of my mod for Start 1-3 and use the MMM code for Start 4-5.

MMM runs with inflated pop sizes on Terran, Ocean, and Jungle systems. 400 pop systems are fairly common. 500 isnt unusual. And I have seen a 690 pop system once....in numerous games my friends and I have played. I think the inflated growth rates that come with these systems make minor race Pop faster. I dont mind them filling out in pop, terraforming, and buildings (and ships). But the tech levels move way too fast. For low setting games I was thinking of changing there start techs to something like 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5 as a standard, with a few advanced races going to 7. Or maybe even tweak the average a little lower. Looking for an opinion on the best way to change minor race growth. Maybe for game play it would be better to just slow the growth down a bit. I am very unsure which will PLAY better. If you were playing a stbotf game, which kind of minor would you prefer to see on a Start 2? Or maybe the answer is to do both?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:One player found 11 neutral races including one with a 550 pop system with a neutral race with Tech 8 and there were plenty more nice ones.
let me guess this player was on left side of map? edited larger maps minors will mainly be placed on left.

this can be edited, here is post with code changes
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=618&p=13384#p13384

as for minor advancement, it depends on game play, myself I prefer high tech start (max) so I would not be much help. :wink:
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I ran into a new problem. While I can add buildings past 318, the game does not seem to use the buildings after 318...319-383 (which are the L10-14 upgrades) are not accessible in the game. Interestingly, I moved one of the new buildings up to slot 318...and it worked! But the building that got moved to 319 stopped working.

Any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Thanks again!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:I ran into a new problem. While I can add buildings past 318, the game does not seem to use the buildings after 318...319-383 (which are the L10-14 upgrades) are not accessible in the game. Interestingly, I moved one of the new buildings up to slot 318...and it worked! But the building that got moved to 319 stopped working.

Any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Thanks again!
Now I remember why mods with extended tech levels use % bonus instead of upgraded structures.

there is an upgrade table for main structures
viewtopic.php?f=264&t=2299#p32392

this table has limited space, and can not be increased.
ruthlessferengi
Multiple Tournament Champion
Multiple Tournament Champion

Post by ruthlessferengi »

Balance of power, fluidS, ultimate Dom these three work well in mp. Well balanced.
Relevance is a post hoc phenomenon

На безптичье и жопа воробей...
Ancient Klingon Battlecry
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

ruthlessferengi wrote:Balance of power, fluidS, ultimate Dom these three work well in mp. Well balanced.
Just curious, what do these mods do to balance things? I am fairly familiar with fluidS and I have looked at BoP briefly. BoP seems like it requires a high tech start, since costs for ships are outrageous when you are dealing with a Tech 2 start.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Is there a post that deals with the systems adjacent to homeworlds? I have requests to work on the starting setup. I think BoP has some stuff in there for them, but I have no idea how they did it.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Is there a post that deals with the systems adjacent to homeworlds? I have requests to work on the starting setup. I think BoP has some stuff in there for them, but I have no idea how they did it.
not sure what you are looking for so here is a few that might interest you

pop & planets limits for free- minor- & starting-systems (minimum/maximum Starting populations)
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=2929#p8435

Additional Starting Systems on any Starting Level
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=629#p8717

Starting Fleet
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=734&p=18079#p18079
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

thunderchero wrote:
TheDragon wrote:One player found 11 neutral races including one with a 550 pop system with a neutral race with Tech 8 and there were plenty more nice ones.
let me guess this player was on left side of map? edited larger maps minors will mainly be placed on left.

this can be edited, here is post with code changes
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=618&p=13384#p13384
Curious, does the value set scale based on which map size is selected (Small, Medium, or Large)? Right now the "Small" map is set to 40x30. I would like to tweak the value to get a proper spread on a 40x30. A bonus would be if it scaled properly with the larger map settings. Does it scale? And what value would you recommend for a 40x30 map?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

to be honest any value would be a guess,

since I found best for 52 x 39 to be, BA 49 0C 02 2B 87 B6 3F (0.088)

maybe A9 99 99 99 99 99 A9 3F (0.05) but I would test with -Mudd for several games :wink:
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

My Medium map is set to 52 x 39. My Large is 60 x 45. Is there a separate value for each map size? Or just one number for all three? Ideally what I would like is:

Small: 40 x 30 (0.14) ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??
Medium: 52 x 39 (0.088) BA 49 0C 02 2B 87 B6 3F
Large: 60 x 45 (0.066) ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Is there a cap on research costs? I am in the process of testing the higher research levels, but so far it seems like they are going by quicker than I expected.

I noticed there is a cap on buildings and ships at 65000 (approx). Is there a way to change this cap?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Is there a separate value for each map size? Or just one number for all three?
one value for all 3
TheDragon wrote:Is there a cap on research costs?
I am sure there is, but this would be limited to hex type used. but tested 817000000 and UE excepted it.
TheDragon wrote:I noticed there is a cap on buildings and ships at 65000 (approx). Is there a way to change this cap?
have you applied this patch
viewtopic.php?f=234&t=464#p16922

this patch is also part of QD's patcher named "Upgrading buildings bug (fix)"

Return to “Multiplayer Games”