Which Mods Support MP?

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Which Mods Support MP?

Post by TheDragon »

thunderchero wrote:
TheDragon wrote:Is there a separate value for each map size? Or just one number for all three?
one value for all 3
Ok, I guess I shoot for the Medium. The Small will be a little light on Minors. The Large might be slightly leftward leaning. It should be an improvement over what I have now.
TheDragon wrote:Is there a cap on research costs?
I am sure there is, but this would be limited to hex type used. but tested 817000000 and UE excepted it.
TheDragon wrote:I noticed there is a cap on buildings and ships at 65000 (approx). Is there a way to change this cap?
have you applied this patch
viewtopic.php?f=234&t=464#p16922

this patch is also part of QD's patcher named "Upgrading buildings bug (fix)"
The joys of starting with someone else's work. I have no idea. I am guessing based on the limit I am encountering that the answer is no. Any tips for verifying and (if needed) applying the necessary patch?

And just FYI, I went with your suggestion to use % boosters instead of building upgrades. Its looking pretty good so far. Thanks so much for your suggestion!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Any tips for verifying and (if needed) applying the necessary patch?
open your trek.exe with QD's patcher

if gray = not applied
if green = applied
if red = applied but code has been altered from QD's written patch.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Open with which QD patcher? In my folder I have bof_patcher, cmd_patcher, and edifice_patcher.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Open with which QD patcher?
also know as bof_patcher
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Oh my....so many patches. I dont even know where to begin...

Upgrading buildings bug (fix) is green. But it doesn't let me go above 65000 for building costs or ship costs. I am confused! 8)

I have found several patches that look appealing. Is there any reason not to just apply the ones I want?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:I am confused!
the only things I can think of you are editing wrong trek.exe or different code change is preventing patch from working properly.
TheDragon wrote:The joys of starting with someone else's work
this could explain issues also, you don't know whats been edited.

and I have no idea either.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

It has been a long time since I looked at that code, this code/patch change did 3 things.

1. changed main structure upgrades limit to at least 2,147,483,647 (old limit 65635)
2. changed standard structure cost to 65635 (old limit 32767)
3. changed ship cost to 65635 (old limit 32767)

sorry for misleading you, but code change was 9 years ago.

note; ECM 4.0 patches has final "high morale bonuses fix" that original patch folder does not. :wink:
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

thunderchero wrote:It has been a long time since I looked at that code, this code/patch change did 3 things.

1. changed main structure upgrades limit to at least 2,147,483,647 (old limit 65635)
2. changed standard structure cost to 65635 (old limit 32767)
3. changed ship cost to 65635 (old limit 32767)

sorry for misleading you, but code change was 9 years ago.

note; ECM 4.0 patches has final "high morale bonuses fix" that original patch folder does not. :wink:
Its fine. You are human (edit: or maybe Vulcan?) and that was a long time ago. Is there a value(s) I can change to up the limit by a power of 2 or 4? For items 2 and 3 above?

I found a patch for "Morale Overflow over 32767 (bugfix)" is this the "high morale bonuses fix" you are referring to? I have a folder in my QD folder called ECM 4.0. Does that mean QD's patcher is making those available?
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I also found a patch for "Economic and Military Score Overflow bug (workaround)"

Any reason I shouldnt pop this patch on?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote: Is there a value(s) I can change to up the limit by a power of 2 or 4? For items 2 and 3 above?
no
TheDragon wrote:I found a patch for "Morale Overflow over 32767 (bugfix)" is this the "high morale bonuses fix" you are referring to?
no
TheDragon wrote:I have a folder in my QD folder called ECM 4.0. Does that mean QD's patcher is making those available?
each folder has different patches with different values, but some patches maybe exact same.

Each modder might edit smaller values within any given patch to give different effects depending on needs of the mod. this is why there are different folders.
TheDragon wrote:I also found a patch for "Economic and Military Score Overflow bug (workaround)"

Any reason I shouldnt pop this patch on?
you can only answer questions like this, it is your mod. you should find the post related to the patch and read complete post and make up your own mind.
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

I have 4 subfolders in QD's folder:

ecm4.0_patches
patches
ucw_patches
udm_patches

Which patches is QD's patcher picking up? I am guessing that just the patches folder is getting picked up and I have to either rename folders for different patch options or move patch files into the patches folder. Trying to figure this out.

Also, I did not find a "high morale bonuses fix" listed in the ecm4.0_patches folder. Where can I get this patch?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:Which patches is QD's patcher picking up?
with QD's patcher open you should have a dropdown list at top left to select trek.exe and on top right to select patch folder.
TheDragon wrote:Also, I did not find a "high morale bonuses fix" listed in the ecm4.0_patches folder. Where can I get this patch?
it is not a separate patch, the patch in ECM 4.0 folder is different from the patch in QD's patch folder. both have same name of "Upgrading buildings bug (fix)". just ECM 4.0 has been updated/newer

BTW if you think you are confused now just wait until you look at UCW patches :shock:
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

Hmmm....so I have "Upgrading buildings bug (fix)" installed, but it is not the right version of "Upgrading buildings bug (fix)"? How do I fix this problem? It shows green in the list. Can I just uninstall it and then install the ECM4.0 version? Will this mess up the numerics I already have in place?

If not with the patcher, is there a way to install the high morale bonuses fix manually? I've already done some hex editing, so I am willing to give it a go.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

TheDragon wrote:It shows green in the list.
does it show green with ECM\patches patches loaded?
TheDragon wrote:How do I fix this problem?
remove with QD\patches loaded
then install with ECM\patches loaded
TheDragon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TheDragon »

It shows green with both loaded.

I installed a couple things. One of them was the Planet Killer mod. It shows green in the list now, but I dont find the Planet Killer when I open stbof.res with UE. Did I do something wrong?

I clicked on the patch I wanted. Clicked "Install". Once I had all the patches selected, I hit "Apply". Is there another step?

Return to “Multiplayer Games”