Buildings I make are not showing up in BOTF

Ultimate Editor; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Captain783
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Buildings I make are not showing up in BOTF

Post by Captain783 »

I have been playing around with UE today, trying to edit UDM III. I can edit anything that is already made, any numbers I want to change, pictures etc no problem at all. But, when I come to adding my own buildings (not sure about ships, haven't got that far yet) they are not showing up in the build list on the game. If I make a building and set it to be already built in Sol it is there and all stats are correct, but it does not show up in the build list of other systems.

I have tried with 2 different items so far, this is what I have tried to add...

Advanced Replicators - Upgrade of Basic Replicators - food +200% - One Per System
Industrial Replicators - Upgrade of nothing - Industry +200% - One Per System

Both of them worked when I set them to be present at the start of the game, however the Basic Replicator was not replaced, it was actually present as well.

So, I figured I would try something else, I made a Type X Mass Replicator, which should be an upgrade to the Type 9 Federation Mass Replicator, even with this auto set to be present it wasn't there, the type 9 was still in existence only. I also wanted to set the Type X only to be available with Level 10 Construction but that was not present in the drop down list, it only goes as high as Level 9, so to make it a bit harder, I set the Tech level to be All, Level 9, but still it does not show up in the build list.

What am I doing wrong? I saw on a different thread about ship upgrades needing to be put in the correct order, so I tried that with the items above but to no avail. I would appreciate any and all help that is offered, it's frustrating me now.

Thanks
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Buildings I make are not showing up in BOTF

Post by thunderchero »

Captain783 wrote:But, when I come to adding my own buildings they are not showing up in the build list on the game.
after adding new buildings and editing building you need to reset the tech list.

with UE "Edit/starting conditions/starting technology" use button "Auto-set all" then save if buildings are set properly it should now be buildable.
Captain783 wrote:So, I figured I would try something else, I made a Type X Mass Replicator
this will not work, main buildings are very different. The upgrade list is very limited and already uses all upgrade slots.

thunderchero
Captain783
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Captain783 »

thunderchero wrote:
Captain783 wrote:But, when I come to adding my own buildings they are not showing up in the build list on the game.
after adding new buildings and editing building you need to reset the tech list.

with UE "Edit/starting conditions/starting technology" use button "Auto-set all" then save if buildings are set properly it should now be buildable.
And it is as easy as that... can't believe I missed something so simple lol. Thank you for the quick reply and solution.
thunderchero wrote:
Captain783 wrote:So, I figured I would try something else, I made a Type X Mass Replicator
this will not work, main buildings are very different. The upgrade list is very limited and already uses all upgrade slots.

thunderchero
That's a shame, I was going to look at adding more tech levels and upgrading the farms etc even further. Nevermind, I can instead upgrade/edit all lower tech items, increase the rp needed to level the tech tree etc.

If you don't mind TC, since it is you I am talking to, I will (for my use only, no redistributing) call this UDM III Refit, if you don't mind giving me the permission to do so lol Since I cannot come up with a suitable new name for it myself :P

Thanks again, less than 60 seconds after reading your reply, my buildings are in the build list :)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Captain783 wrote:for my use only, no redistributing
as long as it is for personal use you can do anything you want, no need to ask.

thunderchero
Captain783
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Captain783 »

So now, I have figured out the buildings and they are working correctly, but I have a new problem...

I have made changes to the ship stats, strength, build cost etc, but those changes are not showing up in the game, is there a "set all" button for the ships that I am missing?

**Update**
I've worked out that when I am saving stbof.res after the ship editing, it's not adding those changes to the trek.exe file as it does when I edit/add buildings. So what I did was, I edited the ships, then added 1 of my new buildings, "Auto Set All", saved the changes to trek.exe and then when I attempted to load the game it crashed... is there a reason for that?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Captain783 wrote:I have made changes to the ship stats, strength, build cost etc, but those changes are not showing up in the game, is there a "set all" button for the ships that I am missing?
no "auto set all for ships", but see below
Captain783 wrote:saved the changes to trek.exe and then when I attempted to load the game it crashed... is there a reason for that?
most changes require starting a new game.

thunderchero
Captain783
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Captain783 »

Yea all my changes have been tested in a new game. I think I found the problem, I increased the stats too much, when I open the Ship Overview in UE it says something like "failed to load xxxx ship has invalid hit points...

Is there a limit for each figure in the ship stats? If so, do you have a list of them?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

strange UE normally warns or will not allow invalid entries.
Captain783 wrote:Is there a limit for each figure in the ship stats? If so, do you have a list of them?
no list I know of. any limit would be max space for each entry (they vary)

some of limits would be (depending on value type)

128 (1 byte signed)
256 (1 byte unsigned)
32768 (2 byte signed)
65535 (2 byte unsigned)

thunderchero
intuitive
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by intuitive »

I've been playing around with UE and was attempting to mess with some of the building stats from the UCW mod. It won't open the buildings. When I select that option from the menu I get the following internal error message...

editdesc.bst: String at address 00 00 A5 36 not found.

I don't get this error from the stbotf.res file in other mods.

If I'm not mistaken UCW is one of your mods thunderchero.....Any ideas?

Cheers
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

intuitive wrote:I've been playing around with UE and was attempting to mess with some of the building stats from the UCW mod. It won't open the buildings. When I select that option from the menu I get the following internal error message...

editdesc.bst: String at address 00 00 A5 36 not found.

I don't get this error from the stbotf.res file in other mods.

If I'm not mistaken UCW is one of your mods thunderchero.....Any ideas?

Cheers
The final release of UE does not recognize the code changes used in UCW.

quote from UCW topic
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3255
thunderchero wrote: Notice: you will need to run Edifice Patcher every time before opening mod with UE due to building are used above tech 10
then re-run Edifice Patcher after UE use
EdificePatcher-130122-w32.zip can be found in link to UCW above.

thunderchero

Return to “Ultimate Editor”