Hey :) Newbie here

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

manumagicpig
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Hey :) Newbie here

Post by manumagicpig »

Been watching a few youtubers play this game and im in love with it and I have to play it lol!

Just trying to find the cheapest laptop I can in order to run it, are there any minimum requirements spec wise which are needed to run this?

And if anyone knows any good websites to go to in order to find some cheap laptops I'd appreciate that aswell :D I just need it for bumming around on, playing Civ V/VI and maybe the odd bit of browser based gaming :)

I have been using my old old old Microsoft surface pro (the first one they released, which still runs skyrim pretty well) so I might just see if that works out - but if I can find relativity cheap laptop I'd get it.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Hey :) Newbie here

Post by thunderchero »

This game was originally released in 1999 so system requirements is very low.

here is original requirements
133 MHz Pentium processor,
Windows 95 or 98,
Direct X 6.0,
16 MB RAM,
160 MB hard drive space,

the all in one requires more hard drive space

approximately 400 MB per version installed

thunderchero
manumagicpig
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by manumagicpig »

You rock, thankyou :D

I'm a total noob when it comes to PC gaming, I'm a lesser console scrub myself haha :P
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:34 am here is original requirements
133 MHz Pentium processor,
Windows 95 or 98,
Direct X 6.0,
16 MB RAM,
160 MB hard drive space,
:shock: Wahh, I hardly recommend not to go that far down. It doesn't necessarily run well just cause the system is old. In fact you've to expect incredible slow turn times that case and most probably some mods will not even run if you get it run at all with that low memory! :shock:
These low specs are just rediculous!

The only thing that might work a little more stable on an older system than on a modern system is the old graphics engine. So your question rather should be what graphics card is adviced to run this game best. I think we have a topic for this somewhere but never came to a real conclusion. Sometimes there is some driver issue that's often resolved by up- or downgrading the graphic driver. Then there is the monitor resolution that sometimes doesn't go down to 800x600 nor the modded 1024x768. And then there is the mouse lag issue for windows 8 and 10 that can be resolved by using the included dxwnd.

In conclusion I'd rather go with a modern system for this game than any old crutch.
Only when you're up for the nostalgic feeling I agree. That case I still have an old 900MHz amd system and a good 19" CRT around that can scale up to 1600x1200 75Hz. Sadly weights too much to bring it to the post office. :razz:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hi there and welcome,

I wouldn't buy a 20 year old system as well. Esp. when you're not firm with PCs. People who used hardware in this era and know the quirks of the tech and the OS may solve some upcoming problems. But overall not worth it. Often counter-intuitive and problem ridden. I guess nobody wants to setup IRQs manually in Windows again just to solve conflicts. The other thing is that driver support is already a different topic when it comes to topics. Even today - and even more so 20 years ago. So, a big not recommended for an old laptop or either an old machine from this era.

If you want to go with a laptop, I'd think about refurbished thinkpads. Laptop models can have a lot of important differences. These guys took old thinkpads apart and made a great guide:

http://ktgee.net/post/49423737148/thinkpad-guide

However, there may be better places in the net to get buyer's advice when it gets to new tech.
Ovarwa
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Ovarwa »

You will *not* get civ6 to run on an old, cheap laptop.

You might not even get it to run on a modern laptop with poor specs.

When it comes to laptops, I strongly recommend buying new, even if you just want to do simple things. Anything you buy new will run botf reasonably well. I would avoid used. I would avoid refurb.

You have been warned.

:)/1239341732983

On the positive side, there are often deals.

Anyway,

Ken

Return to “General Chat”