hi everyone

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

hi everyone

Post by geon »

Hi all,
Sorry it's been so long, but it's been a hectic few years. There were some deaths in the family, then some job changes, so little time for the forum. Things are slowly coming back to normal, so I hope to engage in more stimulating discussions with my fellow botf members in the near future

Regards
Geon
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: hi everyone

Post by Flocke »

Welcome back geon! Life has priority, that's what I'm struggling on too all the time. I'm glad there still are some fellows here including you that take care on the very little community we have.
Some temporary absence I think we can forgive. You gave lots of good read in the past. :)
geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by geon »

Thanks Flocke,
I'm digging up my old ship articles and updating them. I was disappointed with the "Axanar" episode. This showed such promise, and was "nipped in the bud" by the powers that be. What an arrogant display of disrespect for the fans. From what I've seen of Star Trek Discovery, my disappointment is going to continue! The new federation ship in discovery seems to be a te)use of an old FASA design
geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by geon »

Oops, meant to say "reuse"
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

Welcome back, geon! Good to see you around these parts again. :)
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi geon, good to hear from you again.

I also always enjoyed reading your cannon and ship topics. :wink:

for those who might have missed them here a link to the topics geon has started.

geon's topics
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

welcome back geon,

I remember some of our discussions. I doubt if we can have this level of discussions again with ST being dead. I stopped watching TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT a couple of years ago. As many of you guys here, I know them in and out. However, I will re-watch them when a significant amount of time has passed.

At the moment, nothing comparable is on the horizon, and re-watching the series again would devalue them for me. I don't know if that's somehow understable. Sometimes I read that people are sad that they won't have an experience again as it was for the first time. And that's probably it. Time has to pass for me, things have to change, some of my views, too; so I can watch ST with different eyes again, to see new aspects of it. Things I missed before.

For me, some of the most fun things about ST were to discover new layers of depth. A lot of interesting point of views were touched in these series. I guess the influence ST had (probably still has to a lower extent) on people's lifes isn't measurable.

It's good to see you back. I often enjoyed your quality content here. And perhaps we can have some of these discussions again.

kind regards
geon
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by geon »

Thanks, krazeexxl,
Yes, the current situation does indeed look bleak. The current franchise owner's "we know what the fans want and let's make as much money as we can" attitude has destroyed the star trek we all grew up on.
In its day, star trek was a trailblazer in so many ways, from special effects (state of the art for the time on a tv show), to technological predictions (like computer discs and mobile phones), to explorations of then current social issues like prejudice and segregation (the controversy caused by the kirk/uhura kiss). Add to that indepth characters (with strengths and weaknesses) and some great stories (including all the romulan ones, but hey, I'm biased!), and it's easy to see how some fans have stayed loyal for over 50 years.
Todays reboot may make some money, but flashy effects, two dimensional characters and weak plots only go so far. Even the targeted teenage audience is going to get bored of the same thing over and over again.
The 'Axanar' crackdown highlighted the utter contempt these people have for the fans.
I guess I'm an optimist. I hope all this can be turned around. In the meantime there are still many issues to discuss and debate in classic trek.
And let's not forget the ongoing effort to perfect Birth of the Federation

All the best
Geon.

Return to “General Chat”