BOTF All in One installer 2.0.0 (Released 7-10-2020)

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Shooze
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Re: BOTF All in One installer 1.0.1 (Released 6-12-2017)

Post by Shooze »

The installation does not work on my system (Windows 10). The installer hangs on "Compressing files to stbof.res". Got only 2 mods selected and am waiting for 30 min now...
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

what antivirus/security are you using? but it should have given a warning message.

When "Compressing files to stbof.res" the installer is running a command prompt adding files to the stbof.res with a command line version of 7zip (silently) as well as some other final tasks (shortcuts and allowing directplay)

you might also try running installer as admin
Shooze
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shooze »

I am using ESET Internet Security, and i am running the installer as admin.

Edit: I disabled ESET while installing, unfortunately that did not make an difference.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Shooze wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:41 am I am using ESET Internet Security, and i am running the installer as admin.

Edit: I disabled ESET while installing, unfortunately that did not make an difference.
sorry, but it took me awhile to install ESET on test laptop.

Yes it is ESET preventing installer from completing installation.

It looks like ESET stops installer when enabling Directplay, but if directplay is already enabled it runs without error.
the instruction shows how to enable Directplay
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3509#p47018

what bugs me is I could find no logs on what it is stopping or what to report as a false positive to ESET.
Shooze
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shooze »

Directplay was already enabled. But i pinpointed the module in ESET which prevented the installation.

That was Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), disabled that then restarted my computer and then the installation went fine:
http://support.eset.com/kb2950/?viewlocale=en_US
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Shooze wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:54 pm Directplay was already enabled. But i pinpointed the module in ESET which prevented the installation.

That was Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS), disabled that then restarted my computer and then the installation went fine:
http://support.eset.com/kb2950/?viewlocale=en_US
correct disabling (HIPS) would allow installer to complete, but on my tests if you turn off Directplay, installer would fail on next attempt.
Shooze
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Shooze »

I totally forgot to thank you for the assistance. So thank you!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

No problem, I just hope the auto submission function (turned on by default) of ESET resolves this issue quickly.
FoxURA
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by FoxURA »

Well, a desire to play BOTF has driven me back to this site after a few years absence but I have encountered one issue... I am no so out of the loop on what all was going on I have no idea what the different mods within the installer do or if any would conflict with each other. There doesn't happen to be a handy summary of the content somewhere? I've tried forum searches and browsing the site and am still clueless.

A basic text summary in the installer as a component is selected would be fantastic if it wouldn't take too much to pull it off.

Edit: Well this is both amusing and pitiful. Just after I made this post I found what I was looking for by mistake that I missed when searching for it.

Yeah, I'm going to bed now. Though I think a text summary when looking at components in the installer would be wonderful to have.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

This might help others also, in this post I posted all the readme's files for mods.

post to readme's for mods

thunderchero
FoxURA
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by FoxURA »

Sorry for the long delay in this response but I have had company over. This is specifically what I found that helped me understand what I was installing. The readme names for things made it difficult to understand what anything was referring to.

viewforum.php?f=24
Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Korth »

Hello, I just registered and this is my first post here at AFC, welcome new guy etc etc.

I recently found the BotF All in One Installer 1.0.1 ... no problems downloading (though 1.1GB for a CDROM game was surprising), no problems with antivirus, no problems running (in Win7x64) ... the game worked perfectly the first and every time.

So first and foremost - a big THANK YOU to Spocks-cuddly-tribble, thunderchero, Gowron, dcer, and all the others. I'm not a modder or a dev or an artist but I am a coder and I really do appreciate how much time/effort you've all put into each component in this package. (And my apologies to all those whose names I haven't mentioned here, but know that you all have my thanks too.)

Always loved this game and always half-heartedly mused about digging into it with IDA (until I gave some serious thought into how much time it would take, lol). Glad to see that others have risen to the challenge instead, and to see that they've done such impressive work. I've been reading through your modding/technical threads - and learning a lot of details about how this game actually works under the hood - and reaffirmed my suspicions that the original game was an unusually buggy, sloppy, hacky, rushed, and mod-resistant kludge.

I've only played Vanilla (yuck) and ECM4 ("perfect") and BOPL (awesome). I haven't tried the other mods (yet) since BOPL is so bloody huge and involved and, well, there are other things in life beyond BotF, lol. The NoCD alone makes this BotF version worth it.

I've got a few minor "bug reports" I can offer in other threads. Haha, yes, specific bugs never before discussed here (as far as I can tell), including my own observations about which code causes the infamously crashy memory leaks.
But otherwise I offer this feedback:

- I suggest that you provide some descriptive summaries in the installer. For example, "Balance of Power (by Gowron)" by itself is meaningless, it would be much better to have a couple paragraphs describing what the mod is and highlighting its major changes. To be honest, I had only a vague idea of exactly what I was downloading and installing, all of the mods were equally mysterious until I started reading your forums, I was even surprised that each mod was in effect a separate installation of the game (silly me, assuming that ECM4 was just a toggle to combine with any other mod, not a modded BotF game install in itself).
I realize that the audience for All In One isn't terribly large, and already largely involved in these forums anyhow, but for a random noob it's a bit overwhelming and intimidating, a whole lot of information and options to take in all at once. If I didn't already stubbornly love this game and have some familiarity with it then I would've probably found the many options too complex and just aborted the installer.

- I suggest the latest-and-greatest version of ECM be implemented in *every* mod. It fixes a lot of ugly and frustrating things. It helps make the game run stable, I was able to get many hours and many dozens of turns between faults, I wasn't able to do so with BOPL, and I would certainly find it frustrating in a multiplayer game. So I think what I'm really suggesting here would be some sort of "update" feature built into the main installer.

Great job, guys, and thanx again!
[/Korth]
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Korth,

welcome to the forum, Thanks for your high praise.

The All in one installer is an accumulation of over 15 years of modding by many many many forum members. That being said most of the older mods were never documented by the creator. They were just released in small packages.
Korth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am I suggest that you provide some descriptive summaries in the installer.
here is a link to all the readme files that are part of the installer. I am considering adding these files to the installer package, but that would force users to un-zip package before running installer and I have tried to avoid this step.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3596#p48084
Korth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am I've got a few minor "bug reports" I can offer in other threads. Haha, yes, specific bugs never before discussed here (as far as I can tell), including my own observations about which code causes the infamously crashy memory leaks.
I look forward to your posts :grin:
Korth wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am I suggest the latest-and-greatest version of ECM be implemented in *every* mod.
while other also feel the same way, the code changes used in ECM would conflict with many mods and change the game play the original creator intended for the mod.

that being said, this is why we have tools like "QD's patcher" and "ultimate editor" these tool will allow users to add those patches and edit game with very little effort. (these tools are installed by the installer).

Have fun and thanks for your input,

thunderchero
Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Korth »

15+ years of collaborative work. That explains all the reading I have to catch up on, lol.

So - no easy "one click" way to add descriptors into the installer executable without some unzip or other end-user involvement? No "one click" way to open the readme or an http link before actually installing each mod?

I can understand the difficulty in integrating full ECM into all mods since many mods implement a variety of hex-level changes/workarounds to the trek.exe ... just as each ECM version/collection does ... I'm sure I'm not the first to lament about the raw Microprose sourcecode being inaccessible.
[/Korth]
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Korth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:46 am 15+ years of collaborative work. That explains all the reading I have to catch up on, lol.
sad thing is you should have 5 more year of posts that were lost when forum crashed in 2008. Thankfully the important coding posts were able to be re-posted and saved. But many posts with the older mod descriptions and discussions were lost.
Korth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:46 am So - no easy "one click" way to add descriptors into the installer
I use Inno Setup to compile the files for the installer. While it is a very good program, custom changes like that are done with pascal scripting and I have no formal training with any coding. but I have found most things are possible, but for me it take a lot of trial and error (mostly errors) lol

Return to “Support Archive”