Problem with SupremacyTest 20170906

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Problem with SupremacyTest 20170906

Post by Borealis999 »

I'm not sure if that's the most current version but that's what the file is called.

I have found a bug or two.

1) I couldn't save the game when I went to the main menu. "Single Player", Multi Player", "Load Game", and "Save Game" buttons are all greyed out. All the others are ok to use.

2) When in the ship building menu I have found that it is not possible to build more than one ship at a time. When I click the build ship button it allows me access to the ship building menu. I can see and select the ships that are available to build, but I can only build one ship from the selection and only one ship. Once that ship is built the build queue becomes empty and I have to go back into the build menu to select a ship again.

If there is something I'm doing wrong please could you let me know?

Many thanks.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Problem with SupremacyTest 20170906

Post by Iceman »

I'll check it out. I uploaded a new build today BTW, to fix some stuff.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

1) How did you go to the main menu?
The only way to save the game is, during a game, using RMB or Escape key to go to the Main Menu, which allows you to Save Game. I just tried it, and the button is enabled.

2) It is possible to build more than one ship at a time, if your shipyard has multiple docks. Each dock will build its own ship, according to what you selected - for each dock. If what you mean is there isn't a build queue for each dock, that's correct, not *yet*. There will be though, eventually.

Hope this helps!
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi Iceman,

Yes, you have been most helpful. Thank you.

1) The save game issue resolved itself when I realised I was a doofus. I had downloaded and installed all the pre-requisite files to play the updated game but had neglected to restart my laptop. That done, the save game feature is now working.

2) Thanks for the info. As long as it's not me this time I'm happy, lol.

3) Is there an issue with making friends with minor races? I have met some minor races but I'm unable to send treaty requests to them. Is there something I'm missing?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

No prob, glad to help!

3) Hmm, pacho reported something like that too... I can't repro though. Have you noticed any pattern or specific behavior, or does it happen all the time?
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi Iceman,

3) It's happened with every minor race I have encountered so far (all two of them, early days, lol). I noticed that there's a panel that refers to envoys. Could that be the problem? I'm just not playing the game properly because I don't understand how things have changed? If this is the case can you please let me know how to sort it out.

On the plus side. I love what you've done with the intelligence side of things. Being able to see what systems I've visited and colonised in this way is awesome. I have a feeling I'm going to like being able to better track my task forces too. Would it be possible to display the shipyard build queues as well as the planetary ones in this area?
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi again Iceman,

I have just found out that I do need envoys and it's they who help to organise treaties. I'm not entirely sure how I employed Hoshi but I'm glad she applied for the job, lol.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey
You didn't happen to be waiting for a reply to a proposal from them, would you? The reason I'm asking is that once you make a proposal, the next turn you can't make more proposals - until they reply to the current one. IIRC you can only WarDec. This is intended behavior.
Maybe the UI should make that more clear. Will look into it.

Re Envoys, when you assign an envoy to another civ (optional, you don't need to), if that envoy has the right skills, s/he will increase Regard and/or Trust with that civ (which one depending on which skill(s)). For instance, Charisma will certainly affect Regard, while Combat will affect neither. Combat will affect the performance of the fleet the Officer is assigned to, when it is implemented, etc.
As soon as I can implement Officers and Agents, I will.

The Assets screen, yep, it is very handy. When I get to bring the Intelligence screen back, I will move the Assets screen to F6 - F5 will be Intel. Actually, this is already set, but actually designing the Intel screen will take some time.
In the Task Forces tab I'm thinking of having a way to assign Officers, and in the StarSystems tab have a way to show if for each system there already is a colony ship en route, and if not, a way to send one you have already built and that is within range.
Showing the shipyard build queues would be nice, yeah, I'm not sure there's actually enough real estate to do it. Not on lower resolutions anyway. I'll add that to the todo list.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hiya

No, I wasn't waiting for a reply. It was the first attempt to contact them. I was able to set up the proposal but not send it. It seems to be working as and when it wants to.... I'll keep at it to see if there's some commonality to anything I'm doing. I have since employed two more people which is cool.

By the way, I'm not very good with acronyms, what does UI and IIRC mean?

I'd love to be able to help out more but I'm no programmer and I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I can pass on ideas as and when they fly into my chaotic mind, lol. If there is anything I can do to be helpful, please let me know. :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the (unfinished) work on the Break Agreements button, though I don't think I touched the code for the Outbox buttons...
Just checked, and assuming a civ is selected, and that you're not editing the proposal, the Send button should be enabled... :???:

UI = User Interface
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

Sorry, it's pretty much automatic... :wink:

Feedback is always helpful, whether in the form of bug reports or ideas, or whatever else. :up:
Thanks!

PS: just out of curiosity, which OS (Operating System) are you running?
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

I have found that I can get the send button to light if I come out of the diplomatic screen and go back in. Sometimes I have to do a turn, sometimes not. Sometimes it will light when I offer cash and, again, sometimes not. It's seems pretty random to me. Thanks for the acronym help although OS is one I knew, lol. I'm running Windows 10 (64-bit) on a new laptop that has a 2.4Ghz Intel Core i3-7100 processor and 8GB RAM. I hope this is helpful.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It seems these problems might be related to Win10, since there have been no such reports until now.
Do you have all the (correct) pre-requisites?
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3366

IIRC, Win10 does not come with VC++2008, only 2005. I also had to install .NET 3.5 SP1 to run XNA.
I have no such problems on either of my test machines, running Win7 and XP. When I tested the game in a Win10 machine with all the pre-reqs, I had no problem either.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

If you feel up to it, could you check if it also happens for you with previous releases, like 20170616
Thanks!
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Yes mate. I checked the pre-requisites when I realised that the game wasn't working because I didn't have them all. I made sure I had them all and the game started working. I have found that every time I make any diplomatic requests the send button doesn't light up right away. My solution is to press F1 then F3 and the send button lights. No idea why.

I will try some of the older versions when I get the chance and let you know. Will I have to uninstall the release I have at the moment or will earlier releases work in conjunction with the latest one as long as I keep them in separate file folders?

Do you realise that you have made the game very hard now. It might put off all but the hardiest of hardened Trekkies. I don't mind so much (Because I am a hardy hardened Trekkie, lol) but I do find it frustrating when I can't build a starbase because there aren't enough resources to start the construction. Does this mean I have to gather the resources before I go to the system I want to build in? If so, how do I gather them? I have only been able to collect Deuterium with the construction ship but nothing else. Are resources spread around the empire like in previous version?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:wink: Thanks!

No need to uninstall the current build, as long as the folders have different names.

Yes, you need to have all the required resources for the station type before you can start construction. It kind of makes sense :wink:
For stations you only actually need Duranium. You can mine it from any system that has it, by buiding the Duranium Mine. Some civs have bonuses to this.
Notice that right now you can build s Starbase right off the bat, but at some point I'll change that to the way BotF had it - that is, you build an Outpost first, then upgrade it to a Starbase if you wish. I have been looking into that in the past few days, I'll need to add a StationType tag to the station design. Outposts are less resource demanding.
Also notice that building ships and orbital batteries costs Duranium, so take that into consideration. Scrapping them at your systems also returns some resources - one Building allows you to get full resources at that system.

Return to “Supremacy”