Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Double-clicking vs single-clicking

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi there,

I have found another thing that I'm now finding a little annoying. Double clicking everything. In the original game everything was single click (except to go into a system; that was a double click). Now everything is double click. It makes the game, in my opinion, a bit tiresome; having to click 20 times just to add 10 farms. If I have 5 systems colonised in the same turn that's 100 times I have to click just to add 10 farms to each. That's just the farms, add all the other things each system needs to operate and the next thing you know I have RSI, lol. Can you change it back to single click, please? I'd much prefer to take out items I've accidentally added than spend all my time trying to add everything I need. It takes too long and I get fed up and bored. So much so that for the past week or so I haven't played Supremacy; instead playing All Ages Mod as it's less strain on my mouse button finger.

Sorry for the nag and thank you, :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Double-clicking vs single-clicking

Post by Iceman »

Split the topic and created a new thread for this issue.
Also moved my previous answer to this here, to keep the discussion in one place.

--

This is a very easy change, but thinking about it, single-clicking is used to select so that you can check the item's stats on the right side display area. If single-clicking is used for building, you can't check stats... except in a tooltip when the item is already in the build queue, which is not really confortable/useful/whatever...
This is valid for both structures and ships.

Maybe we should make a pole about it? What does everyone think about it?
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Yes that makes sense. Don't want to bog down everything in one thread, lol

What about using the highlight function of the mouse pointer? In the original game the info on the ship/structure would show if you rested the mouse on it. For example, if the mouse pointer was rested on a scout ship the ship title would light up In orange and a description would appear in the description box below with a picture. A single click would then add it to the build queue. For me personally, this is far less tiresome and painful.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I'll see if it's possible to implement it like that.
I was thinking of having both double click and right click (disabling the context menu of course) to add to the queue, keeping sngle click to select items.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

What about finding a way to eliminate multiple clicking altogether? I have thought of two options:-

1) Use the highlight function to display the information on the item. Then use a single click to bring up a box to allow the player to type in the amount required.

2) Use single click to display the information on the item. Then use double click to bring up a box to allow the player to type in the amount required.

Would either of these ideas be possible and/or practical?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I don't think it's that easy a change after all, changing double-clicking to single-clicking...

About the 2 suggestions, this is only an issue for Production Facilities or Orbital Batteries; for Buildings, you can only have one of each anyway, so the dialog box is not necessary for those.

Instead of the dialog box, and because probably most of the time you will only want to add one PF, maybe I could instead do what I did with scrapping and unscrapping PFs - that is, using CTL or ALT plus clicking to add or remove 5 or 10 at a time (thinking about it, it would probably be best to change it to 2 or 5 at a time, since scrapping 10+ PFs is probably too rare to justify having a combo ? ).
It would be an easier implementation, that's the only reason why I'm suggesting it as an alternative.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Actually, when I colonise a new planet, I usually build all PF's to 10 units to begin with. Once they are completed I'll build a PF for every ten population (eg if population is 450 then there will be 45 of each PF) this is why I think the double clicking should be changed. If I've colonised more than one system I have to spend a very long time organising those systems and that amount of double clicking takes pleasure out of playing the game. To be honest, I find it boring and I lose interest because of this issue.

I think that giving players the option to place an order for the amount of PF's by using a number box would be extremely useful. I felt similar about the original game. Having to click for every item I wanted to build was time taken away from playing the game. It was the reason I never played the game online. There usually wasn't enough time to set everything up before the timer counted out.

As for the scrapping method, I didn't know the CTRL and ALT functions were a feature, lol. The original game had a dialog box with up and down arrows to add or remove scrapped items. Is that what you are referring to? if that's the best way to eliminate the clicking problem then I'm all for it. It's got to be better that getting strained fingers from all the clicking. :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hmm, you build ALL PF types to 10% pop size? Wow, that is really very innefficient. You do realize that while doing that, you are keeping the system from building other stuff, right? And that includes Credits, through Trade Goods. You are potentially losing a lot of cash.
There were actually plans to include a diminishing returns clause in PFs, to prevent players from doing exactly that - flexibilization of systems to the extreme. Kind of removes a (or several) strategic element of the game.
I hope you do not take this the wrong way, but have you considered not playing that way? In a way, it is you that are taking away the fun in the game by using what could be considered "cheese" ;)

I am prepping up a new release, just testing a few things to make sure they are working as intended (WarDec on allies, system assimilation notification to the target civ, a bunch more soundfx, raider civs, re-targeting sitrep messages, tech victory condition, an in-game way to set the Borg as a playable civ, etc). I will take another look when I have the time.

If you right click on the image of a PF type, you set one of those structures to be scrapped at the end of the turn. Yes, it is the same thing. I have been thinking of a way to add a context sensitive help screen, mybe it is time to add at least a basic keybindings window. I will look into this too.

Thanks for your continued feedback, it is very helpful!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Good news Borealis. I've implemented the key + double-click feature in the planetary build list for multiple items (PFs and OBs). Thanks for the tip, I know how important a friendly UI is!

BTW, it's CTL and SHIFT, not CTL and ALT, to add 5 or 10. My mistake.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi there,

I know it's been a while. I've had a lot on my plate recently. I w as just reading through this thread again as I have just downloaded 20181008. Please can you explain what you mean by "key + double-click"? I understand the CTRL and SHIFT functions but I don understand that one.

Thanks for your help and I was glad to be of help to you too.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Also, about my building technique..... The was for the original game. I only built the Assembly Yards, Universities, and Databanks to 10% of population. I'd only build 10 of the other PF's unless it was a large system. in your version I haven't yet worked out a strategy for building.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey Borealis, glad to see you back! It's been a while!
The key + double-click thingy is if you press the CTL or SHIFT key and double-click on a PF or OB, you add 5 or 10 (respectively) of them to the build queue. Let me know if it is working for you please! And if 2 or 5 would be more useful than 5 or 10.
Thanks!
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hey Iceman, it has indeed my friend! I'm glad to be back.

Yep, I figured it out about 30 mins after I posted. It does work and I think its good at 5 and 10. However, the CTRL function requires triple clicking (or more) and you have to make sure you select the item each time you want to add more. If you don't it thinks you want to select everything from the top to your selection, then just adds the top option.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yes, you need to have the item selected to use double-click. There are a few issues with selection, namely the Windows default behaviour for the CTL and SHIFT keys... it's a bit annoying sometimes, but there are more important things to fix right now ;)

Thanks for all your feedback and support, and keep it coming!
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

It was just something I found, Iceman. Nothing I considered immediately important to fix and I wasn't expecting you to focus all your efforts on it right not, lol. I just thought you should know, :).

Return to “Supremacy”