A peculiar modding issue...

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

A peculiar modding issue...

Post by jonesie85two »

Hello all, ive been away for quite some time. Im quite impressed with how far youve all come in the past few years. Well Done.

Anyway, help.

Ive been building an overhaul mod for BOTF. The mod worked well on my main PC but since i fitted a new graphics card the MOD doesnt load past the galaxy generation screen, a simple CTD. no crash log data. The mod works perfectly on my lower spec win7 machine and xp laptop.

All other mods from the All in one release of BOTF work perfectly on my main machine. Obviously something is up. I thought perhaps its something to do with DirectX or simple graphics related issues. Thought it was worth running the mod through that new sparkling new dxwnd programin hopes that it would avoid some of the hurdles my system is sending my way. Unfortunately it crashes as the exe launches.

Obviously as all other mods work on my main PC im asuming ive done something wrong with my mod. but i still have hope as my mod itself works fine on my other machines.

So far ive tried reverting graphics card drivers, Updating graphics card drivers, reinstalling dx9 drivers and installing up to date dx drivers.

Any other suggestions?

my of my Main PC's system specs,

Phenom II X6 1100T
16gb Ram,
Asus Radeon RX580 (8gb)
Radeon software version Crimson Relive 17.7.2

Thanks in advance of any suggestions.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: A peculiar modding issue...

Post by KrazeeXXL »

hi,

Is your main machine also win7?
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

KrazeeXXL wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:51 pm hi,

Is your main machine also win7?
Thank you for responding.

To answer your question. Yes it is. Win7 64bit. i am currently playing the mod on my Win7 64bit low spec machine (by low spec... single core 2.4ghx rather than 3.4 6 core... 4gb ram rather than 16gb... 256mb graphics card rather than 8gb). reached a productive 48 turns and still going strong (fingers crossed). im really just curious what on earth is causing the incompatibility.

again, thank you for responding. i appreciate your effort.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Hi jonesie85two,

Welcome back,

first are you using the "All in one" installer?

And to be clear, only your mod on your main system does not work and all other mods work?

One thing you might want to check out is this post on how to setup a personal mod.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3544

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:57 pm Hi jonesie85two,

Welcome back,

first are you using the "All in one" installer?

And to be clear, only your mod on your main system does not work and all other mods work?

One thing you might want to check out is this post on how to setup a personal mod.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3544

thunderchero
Hiya, sry for the delay. to answer your questions.

- I have installed the all in one installer. i have tried running my mod via standalone trek exe... that loads up to game setup but at galaxy generation it crashes to desktop. When i run the dxwnd_windowed or fullscreen exe's then run my mod via the list the game exe attempts to load but before the title screen the process fails.

- My mod works perfectly fine on both my spare machines, (Win7and WinXP) lower system spec though. Although this has only been tested via plane ye ole multi installer 1.0.2... not the all in one installer. Also... ALL other mods featured in the ALL in One installer work on my main pc.

simply. all mods (except mine) work on my main pc... and all mods (including mine) work on my spare machines.

i tried following the instruction on the page you linked. Quick answer, nothing has changed.

I followed steps 1, 2 and 3 easy enough. But step for confused me -_-. Been a very long time since i hacked up some hex. Took me ages... Hours trying to locate the exact hex code to replace... -_- turned out i had already changed the digits to TBM2 in both locations. Question... must the hex changes be MPM?

With step 5 i edited the reg entries that read MPM with TBM2 and then double checked all install/launch paths then added the entries to my system registries.

Step 6 was easy enough.

To cut this whole page of text short... Ive done what you suggested.recommended but didnt work.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it :-)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

MPM was only an example. but when you creating your mod folder, I suggest to copy all files from all in one vanilla, then replace stbof.res and trek.exe from your mod. (and any other edited files english.snd and videos)

also make sure stbof.ini on line "3D=SOFTWARE"

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

thunderchero wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 am MPM was only an example. but when you creating your mod folder, I suggest to copy all files from all in one vanilla, then replace stbof.res and trek.exe from your mod. (and any other edited files english.snd and videos)

also make sure stbof.ini on line "3D=SOFTWARE"

thunderchero
Sry, i should have mentioned that i did infact duplicate the Vanilla folder included in the All-in-one install. I then transferred all of my moded files in. Over writing any originals.

I also double checked teh stbof.ini. It was already set to "3D=SOFTWARE".

I know i have heavily modified the gaem in my overhaul mod and would normally just say... whoops ive screwed it. start again from scratch but this happens with my oldest backup. the fact that it aallows me to play the mod perfectly on other machines just confuses me. the only thing ive changed since my last playthrough of my mod has een a serious graphics card upgrade (hardware and software) and ship list editing within the mod itself (note: backups i have since before the ship list editing have teh same CTD during galaxy generation).

I had hoped that it was graphics card related/directX but the fact that all other mods work perfectly fine negates that issue and teh fact that my mods works perfectely fine on other machines just confuses me more.

I tried using the All-in-one version and that dxwnd program... hoping that may bypass what ever bug i have but that doesnt allow me to even load teh game up with my mod installed.

All roads are pointing to my mod being broken. curious.... very curious.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

yeah it is a strange issue since it works on one system but not other system, plus other installed versions work.

as a test to check your mod install path, back up your files then copy stbof.res and trek.exe from vanilla to your mod folder and test.

note; for best test results edit the trek.exe as described in step 4

if it runs it would narrow it down to one of those 2 files.

edit; as for video driver, it is doubtful it is the problem.

thunderchero
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi again, I thought about it a little more and check these also.

1. in right lower corner of start up screen does the version match the registry you added?

2. check all installed versions crash logs.

also if the stbof.res and trek.exe are exact same and one works and other does not your mod is not broken.

thunderchero
jonesie85two
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by jonesie85two »

Ok, so i backed up my files and copied over both stbof.res and trek.exe from the vanilla sto folder(installed via the All-in-One installer. I also changed the hex code from BOTF to my mods version (TBM2). The game loads and generates the galaxy allowing me to play a game via both directly running th trek.exe and through dxwnd windowed.

Also, Registry versions. My main machine (which has registry edits mentioned above) list my mod as 1.0.0. Before the reg edits it was 0.0.0. oO. the mod on my spare machine does not have the All-in-One installer or reg edits at all list as 0.0.0. and works perfectly.

I went through all the botf crash logs i have. Nothing in any of them.

Jonesie

Return to “General Chat”