Star Trek Discovery (SPOILERS)

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Star Trek Discovery

Post by Martok »

I thought it pretty decent. I still have to sit down and watch the 2nd episode.
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

I've watched the first three episodes of Orville, and its gotten better with each airing in my opinion. And that's great since it started out strong.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

interesting article of someone who watched the first 3 episodes of Discovery:

http://mashable.com/2017/09/23/star-tre ... 3qqvufdiqG
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

eber3 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:59 pm I've watched the first three episodes of Orville, and its gotten better with each airing in my opinion. And that's great since it started out strong.

I felt the 2nd episode was a little weaker than the 1st and 3rd episodes, but overall I'm actually enjoying The Orville so far. It needs to be a little less bland and find its own identity, but I felt the 3rd episode ("About a Girl") took a step in the right direction in both respects.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I watched the first episode of Discovery and it's exciting.

It's dark and it's serious, too. Some questions are raised. It'll be interesting to see this show unfold. What I've seen so far made me want more. Much more of it. That's a good sign.

I'm not sure where the Orville is headed. Watched the first 3 episodes as well. I'm looking forward to the next episodes. It's amazing to have two new sci-fi shows out there at the same time.

I found the Orville to be relaxing and not as joke ridden as I expected. It's nice to see Penny Johnson in there. They put some work into the sets and effects as well. It's definitely nice to watch from that perspective. Not sure how it'll hold up against Discovery.

Discovery has some really nice space-scenery in the first episode. I haven't seen anything like that before. Could compare to some of the best movies.

The female lead does a nice job. As with the Orville, I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

2 cool new shows: great times even or should I write: especially for us older folks ^^ The criticism here beforehand is something I can't share. Even less so after watching the first episode.

p.s.: the Klingons are amazing! I love the change!
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

STD was better than I was expecting it to be. It wasn't super awesome by any means, but better than I had been expecting.

The good:
The effects, the CGI, the spacescapes were all really impressive.
The new alien species were well done. Very good makeup.
Acting wasn't bad.

The bad:
Klingons were total garbage. Both the species themselves and their ships. They and everything about them looked more Xindi than Klingon.
Federation tech was WAY to advanced. They were even using the holographic communication that was never invented until DS9.
The Klingons here invented cloaking, which they didn't have before TOS, and that they got from the Romulans.

Funny how several people associated with this show have been quick to assure fans that they respect canon, then they screw up every single thing about the Klingons. The only Klingon thing they got right was the trefoil Klingon symbol. I think the claim that was made about the female commander being a transgender was false. Yes she has a male name, Michael, yet her crew repeatedly referred to her as she and her... they never used a male pronoun for her. Why she has a male name they have not yet said, but we do know her family was killed... perhaps she took her fathers name, or a brothers in memory of them? Who knows, but it seems likely she isn't actually a male in a womans body as reported.

All in all, if the Klingons weren't all screwed up, or if they'd simply given this totally new species a name of its own, I'd not complain to much. I wasn't blown away by this episode at all, but aside from the Klingons was interested enough to tune in for more.... to bad they won't broadcast anymore. (I'm referring to in the US here, I still think they might end up broadcasting it later on in the season when they find out enough people aren't paying for CBS All Access).
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Ah great I watched the first two episodes late yesterday night and wrote a reply here but the server seems to hate me...anyways I was quite surprised. In a very positive manner. I didn't expect much beforehand...but I stayed open minded and didn't wanna destroy the series beforehand. And therefore I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I hated Sonequa Martin Green in The Walking Dead but she delivered quite well. So did Michelle Yeoh. Although I had to get used to her german voice actor at first since it is the same one that dubbed B'ellana back in the days.

The visuals were stunning aside from the photon cannon beams. Maybe their effect was made with a Methusathlon? :grin: The Klingons were quite strange for the first few minutes but they definately grew on me with every minute I saw them. I think getting used to them shouldn't be that much of a big deal. For me at least that is. Can't speak for others. I read a comment from someone who mentioned that they look more alien-ish than before and less like a biker gang. I couldn't help but laugh my a** off at this one.

I can understand the folks that say that the the changes are way too big for them to get used to. But IMHO it is a huge mistake to bash the series to death after two aired episodes or even beforehand. I have to admit when I first saw DS9's The Emissary or TNG's Encounter at Farpoint I was quite bored. Luckily those weren't the first episodes of both series I had seen. Otherwise I might have been similarly disappointed as a lot of folks seem to be now with Discovery.

For me it didn't blow me away as well but it was well entertaining and I didn't get bored for a second. Yes there have been quite big changes compared to the prior series but there also have been quite a lot of familiar things. I felt like watching a Star Trek series again and it felt pretty damn good after all these years.

I guess the showrunners intentionally tried to spread some false rumors prior to the series premiere. I had read several things that didn't occur.

Edit: Gotta check out the Orville as soon as I find some time for it.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

could we please don't call it STD? xD
captaindusk wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:50 am The visuals were stunning aside from the photon cannon beams. Maybe their effect was made with a Methusathlon? :grin: The Klingons were quite strange for the first few minutes but they definately grew on me with every minute I saw them. I think getting used to them shouldn't be that much of a big deal. For me at least that is. Can't speak for others. I read a comment from someone who mentioned that they look more alien-ish than before and less like a biker gang. I couldn't help but laugh my a** off at this one.
haha, Methusathlon

not sure about the scene. At what minute does it occur?

lmao @ Biker gang xDDD

oh man, bullseye! I'm doing a DS9 rerun and it's definitely starting to show its age. Esp. the Klingons look super funny. I noticed the Xindi-bad-guy-similiarity, too. That's one point I didn't like as well @costumes@discovery.

I was surprised about the quick german synchro. I fully expected to watch it in complete english. I'm watching DS9 for the first time in englisch now and I've to say that they did a good job in the german synchro. Really high quality and similiar to the english actors. The only other show I know, where it was this well done is GoT. The worst example is SGU. God, this one was terrible synchronized.

Well, I'm glad you liked it and I'm also happy you stayed open-minded.
Last edited by KrazeeXXL on Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

@eber3: could you please add a spoiler warning to the thread title?

edit: thanks dude
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Star Trek Discovery (SPOILERS)

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I just watched episode #6. I begin to like Captain Lorca more and more. I expect a major cliffhanger to unfold in the next 2 episodes as we'll just get 8 episodes in 2017 and the remaining 7 will follow in 2018.

I still find this show to be engaging. It has a nice pace, never gets boring for me and it always leaves me craving for more. It's not the best show I ever watched. By no means. But who can tell how a new Star Trek show is going to unfold after only 6 episodes? I certainly won't dare to take a guess.

I find the opening pretty strong for a Trek show. There are non ST-shows with stronger openings. That's for sure. DSC (we don't call it "STD" in popular forums) - however doesn't have to hide in any way.

The only thing I'm not sure about is their "spore-drive". It leaves me a bit baffled. I like mushrooms and find them to be really interesting. Not fauna, not flora - something else. They leave much headroom for fiction and inspire me to think about them more again. This take is different and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it as of yet.

In German we have some nice Anglicism called "abgespaced" - "upspaced". Kinda means out of touch with reality - even for fiction. It somehow goes in this direction for me - even for such an open minded person as I am.

I'm looking forward how they're going to explain that and make it a new thing. I kinda expect the Federation on the brink to lose and Burnham and the Discovery to be the only chance for a status quo. The Feds have this new drive and the Klingons their (recovered) cloaking device.

However, in order to achieve this status quo they have to give up this drive and Burnham "who started the conflict" with the questionable Lorca who killed his crew both have to sacrifice themselves to accomplish that task.

This seems to be the only plausible way to keep the show cannon ( I think Menosky would care to an extent ). In order to keep face for everyone involved - not just Klingons but also Feds with questionable almost unethical decisions in war times - things will be swept under the carpet. And this is why we never heard of all the things happening in this new show in older shows from the 70s to the earlier 05s or whenever ENT ended.

Full circle and man, if they can pull something like this off, it'd be amazing!

This could become pretty epic and I'd like to see something like it. I wished they did something like that with Worf. - just a story a bit more fleshed out in the long term.

Well, at least I'd like the story to be that way. A human raised by Vulcans with all these hidden emotions under the surface. They don't just have to lose themselves in unimportant vanities.

ST invented the cliffhanger in TNG and they invented the leitmotif or as we call it in German: "der rote Faden" in DS9 and so they changed the "TV-show-landscape" forever. When the writers can keep this in mind for DSC and lift it to the next level, then we'll be truly in for a hell of a ride :D
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

work on season 2 will begin soon. Good article with some interesting facts:

https://trekmovie.com/2017/11/05/showru ... two-weeks/
Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Korth »

I've decided to not even give Discovery a chance. CBS has been too aggressively territorial, shutting down Axanar was a precedent which also shuts down all subsequent fanwork worth watching. It's clear that to CBS the franchise is all about the money, not at all about the canon or the culture or the fans. I've seen some screenshots (of the ships/uniforms, etc) which make Discovery look really promising, others (of the "Klingons", etc) which make Discovery look foolish. (Though the above argument that Discovery makes Klingons more "alien" and less "biker gang" is true, lol. But the Klingons have already been mutilated too many times on screen, leave them alone and pick on someone else!)

For me "Star Trek" ended at VOY and ENT and Nemesis. And I include some fan-made work like Star Trek Continues which "remains true" to the characters and stories and flavour and fans. So to me Discovery and Orville and JJ's "Kelvin timeline" Star Trek movies and all the rest - while Officially Star Trek and even Officially Part Of The Cult Of Gene Roddenberry - are merely non-Trek sci-fi which is inspired by, loosely based on, or blatantly rips off Star Trek itself. I can enjoy the new movies for what they are, a couple hours of sci-fi action/adventure, but they are just not (to my mind) "real" Star Trek. And Orville, to me, is more like Galaxy Quest (which I've always loved). But CBS's/Paramount's other ideas are not Trek, and they've coldly killed the Trek I was looking forward to seeing - more than just Axanar - so I really don't care for their "executive vision" and I won't even bother watching (I'll go out of my way to avoid watching) what I've already decided (in a prejudiced manner) that I'm not going to like, lol.

It's a stubborn and close-minded point of view, admittedly. Normally I wouldn't care so much about what amounts to being entertainment, and I've always loved Trek but never really been a hardcore Trekkie (haven't gone to any Cons, don't collect the props/replicas, don't have any Starfleet or Klingon uniforms in my closet, etc). But in this instance I genuinely feel like Trek fans have been betrayed and life is already pretty good without Discovery, so it won't add any "value" and isn't relevant to my Trek/life but it will make me less happy to know I'm supporting the Evil Faceless Corporation instead of the Tribbles. Trek is a "property", CBS "owns" it and refuses to "share" it. It's a done deal, sealed by their lawyers. CBS went out of their way to screw me so I'll just do my own little part in screwing them back.
[/Korth]
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by Martok »

CBS lost me the moment they sued the Axanar group. What they did with Discovery -- not least locking it behind their "pay to watch" All-Access channel -- was simply the final nail in the coffin. They can all burn in hell.
Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Korth »

I see that I'm not alone in doing my own small part to express indignity and outrage, haha.

But it's sad that, in the end, the franchise will languish if Discovery and JJ's movies end up being poorly received ... and the official CBS/Paramount opinions will be that Trek was killed by mediocre reception from Trek fans, not by their own heavyhanded blunderings.
[/Korth]
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

I wouldn't call the reception of Disovery mediocre by any means. Nor, would I call Netflix a paywall.

The 8th episode Mudd² was beyond "just good". It was by far my most favourite episode of the show, yet.

You really miss out guys.

Return to “General Chat”