BOTF All in One installer 2.0.0 (Released 7-10-2020)

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Re: BOTF All in One installer 1.0.1 (Released 6-12-2017)

Post by Korth »

My first two years of comp-sci were based on Pascal and Pascal-like languages. Which I have never in my entire career ever had to work with or see again in the "real world".

You've already done a fine job with the installer, BotF lives on (and keeps improving) because of it. My suggestions were just suggestions, based on my first impressions and my thoughts about how "normal" people would respond to this game. The fact that ancient BotF kludge has been made to work at all on modern machines is an accomplishment in itself, lol.
[/Korth]
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

since you know pascal, if you want to take a look at script I welcome any suggestions.

just let me know
Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Korth »

Sure, but no promises, lol. Where can I download the installer source?
[/Korth]
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

full source is 6.25 GB (with all the files). but here is main script and smaller individual mod scripts.
scripts.zip
(50.47 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
but I fear this may just confuse you even more lol
Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Korth »

The setup.exe has internal identifiers which declare "Inno Setup version 5.5.9 (a)" ... Aside from your data, scripts, and packaging, is it modified at all from the default installer at this download page?

I haven't yet looked at it too closely, but I don't think the author provided native support for plugging in the sort of "pre-install summary" feature I'm imagining. I need a couple days to muse over how hard it would be to bolt-on the feature, if I can't think of any way to do it without basically rebuilding the whole installer exe then it would probably be better to request the feature from the original author.

EDIT:

Thinking of implementing something like this on the installer's Select Components page. Apparently not too hard to do text when scrolling/clicking items, although mouse-hover and graphics are a bit more involved (sensitive to display resolution, etc). It seems everything's already out there and no need to reinvent the wheel - although some of that Pascal source looks really nasty, lol - but I don't have time to become a seriously serious Inno Setup expert and I don't want to increase size/complexity (or decrease compatibility/stability) of the installer itself with tons of add-ons. It should ideally "just work" across every WinOS on every platform, with the strictest minimum of external support/framework components.

Also thinking the "Tools" should be given its own description (to inform users what DxWnd/UE/QDP/etc actually do), and autoselected (and maybe also greyed out so it can't be unselected). And thinking that since the mods mostly recycle the same bulk resources as Vanilla while only changing/adding specific file components then a detailed (file-by-file) installer script could be used to reduce the total All In One package size down (maybe a little, maybe a lot). But one problem at a time, haha.
Last edited by Korth on Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.
[/Korth]
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

correct that is download page, and I have made no change to software.

And the newsgroup pages have not been very helpful to me.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Opps, I just noticed your edit of your last post today.

as for the description box that looks helpful and should not be to hard to implement. I don't see images being very helpful but might be cool for some mods, but link to forum page might be helpful. but would link be selectable?

since the installer maybe ran multiple times to reinstall or install different mods, I did not want "tools" installed every time installer is executed. but that being said I am sure a check if tools are installed could be added.

while the script lists files multiple times, when it compiles it will only add file once to final package. If I turn off "merge duplicate files" option the install package will grow out of control. lol
Korth
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Korth »

I don't have any answers yet. But I've got some long weekends coming up to put time into this project. I've seen screenshots of other projects based on this installer which apparently do have clickable links in the base text descriptors (though not in the mouse-hover descriptors), as well as adding them to fields in the WinOS "(Un)install programs" Control Panel. I'm guessing some mods need more than one link (to mod creator's site, to mod discussion at this site, etc), but that seems a trivial issue at this time. Embedded graphics do look neat but not at all required, lol, although it would look pro to have a fancy BotF banner/icon at the top or something. One thing that always bugs me about installers is when they don't report needed disk space, I'd like to enable that feature (if it's not hard to do and if you haven't deliberately chosen to disable it). Another thing that bugs me is when they don't report specific version numbers of the things/components they're installing, though I doubt mod version numbers change often so maybe not an important detail.

[Edit]

And sorry about the edit, lol. It happens a lot when I type posts on my mobile, lol.
[/Korth]
strubdog
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by strubdog »

I was able to install Birth Of the Federation without issues, however when I try to start the game I get the following error. (Screenshot provided) Any assistance would be great.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (23.91 KiB) Viewed 7356 times
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi strubdog,
welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you are having issues playing game.

Some more info would be helpful.

Windows Version?
Video card/chip info?
Are you using DxWnd?
Was Birth of the Federation running on this system prior to this install?
List any crash logs or messages you might have seen?
What have you already tried to solve the problem?
Detailed description of your issue?

before that windows message did game try to start? if so what did you see and hear onscreen?

some basic suggestions would be;
check/set dxwnd.exe to run as admin "installpath"\tools\dxwnd_Fullscreen or "installpath"\tools\dxwnd_windowed
check/set trek.exe to run as admin
check md5 of BOTF_All_in_One_1.0.1.exe viewtopic.php?f=303&t=3563#p47837
uninstall everything botf related and re-install only tools and vanilla (get vanilla working first)
edit stbof.ini SOUNDON=ON to SOUNDON=OFF and MOVIEON=ON to MOVIEON=OFF
strubdog
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by strubdog »

My Specs:
Windows 10 64-bit.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 ti
AMD Ryzen 7 1700
32GB of DDR4-3000 Memory

I do have DxWnd installed. This is my first install for Birth of the Federation
Ehere are no error messages, once I double click the short-cut it has a black screen for 2-3 seconds and then the image in the screenshot appears. I have tried running in compatibility mode (i.e. run as administrator) There is no sound when it crashes.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

If turning off setting in stbof.ini did not help,

try, running the trek.exe directly (from install path) game should still play, but with horrible mouse lag.
if that does not help, open Nvidia control panel and create (add) a profile for trek.exe The game runs best with lowest options or option turned off.

more questions,
did you install dxwnd first? did you select Dxwnd option windowed or fullscreen?
did you change install path from C:\botf\
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Thunder et al

does this ultimate installer only apply to windows 10 or also 7?

last time i played i was using jokers patch and it ran great on 7 but this seems to kick its butt. ( graphics engancements, mods built in, ...) What am i missing?

thanks for all your hard work over the years keeping botf alive!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Grady98,

welcome back. yes the AIO works on windows 7, I suggest you use DxWnd (install tools) before any mod or version.

as for joker's patch it is no longer needed to be installed.
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Thanks so much for the response sir. Follow up question: the all in one runs without dxwnd though? Just never heard of that app but it looks interesting and i might be able to play even more older games with it from what i am reading. just confused on how the whole process works and if using dxwnd will mess with other directx setting for other modern games or if it is self-contsined so to say. Gathering it isn’t internal ro the all in one?

Thanks again!

Return to “Support Archive”