Save Game Edit Question

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Capt Krunch
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Save Game Edit Question

Post by Capt Krunch »

Hello All,

I was wondering how to properly use the UE in the All-In-1 Installer to edit save game files and successfully change your faction/race mid-game. The AI is really weak and I was thinking to myself that I could build up a faction and then switch to a weaker faction in the middle of the game so I could have more of a challenge.

I used the UE to open a save game file, and found the option under Game Info that allowed me to alter the player's controlled faction; however the computer kept fighting me for control of my new faction every turn, changing ship destinations, build orders, population assignments, etc etc. While I do admit that having to fight the CPU for control of 'the wheel' definitely raised the difficulty level, it was perhaps a bit too frustrating for my tastes.

So, is this impossible to do, or do I need to change another value, or did I simply have a corrupted save file and I should try again?

I did a search for 'change race' and 'change faction' but could not find anything relevant. Since this cannot be the first time someone wanted to do this I imagine I just did not search for the proper terms. I apologize if the answer is in some place terribly obvious, and thank you guys in advance for your assistance in pointing me in the correct direction if this is the case.

Cheers!
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Save Game Edit Question

Post by thunderchero »

correct UE will corrupt saved games, this function is mainly for developers to test changes.

I am not 100% sure but this is what we did in the past;

1. save as MP game. with UE extract "gameInfo" file edit at Offset 0x004C 00 to 01 save file and use UE to add edited file to save game. (if you use UE edit/game/game info "type" this will corrupt game.)
2. loaded MP game, host selecting original human controlled race, joining player selects desired new race. (this can be done on single computer using MPR++)
3. host leave game
4. joining player becomes new host
5. joining player (new host) saves game (I think it save as single player?)

done, you have proper AI control of all races as a single player game.
Capt Krunch
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Capt Krunch »

Thank you thunderchero for the prompt and informative reply!

I will experiment with your proposed solution and let you know if it works.

As a side note, I discovered the Uncivil War mod, and it is very good. While the larger maps still disadvantage the AI, I found that setting the map size to small, the AI's tech level to UNCIVIL WAR, and my Cardy tech level to one step below it made for a very deadly game.

Cardassia fell to the House of Gowron on Turn 12. :) I will revisit that particular challenge to be sure.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

this was originally discussion
viewtopic.php?f=223&t=894#p12743
Capt Krunch wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 pm As a side note, I discovered the Uncivil War mod,
It was a shame I never got to finish that mod. I intended to have many many more structures throughout the tech levels.

Return to “General Chat”