Errors with Supremacy 20171130

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

canucker
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Errors with Supremacy 20171130

Post by canucker »

First off, major THANKS for this game - I've owned BotF since it came out, and only just discovered this (badly needed) remake, so YAY.

Unfortunately, I'm having some problems. I downloaded 20171130 this evening, and have tried playing a few times - every single time it crashed (exception) before turn 100. This happened when proposing membership to Bolians, when trying to build an outpost, and when just ending an uneventful turn.

In addition, I seem to not be the only person having problems with diplomacy & saves - outbox 'Send' button appearance is infrequent (at best), most of the time if I try to create a message, it never lights up. This can be fixed by going to another screen then back to diplomacy. Saves are simply unavailable, I don't have the button lit up at all.

I'm running 64 bit Windows 10 and have checked all the pre-requisites are installed. The game folder is fully unzipped as SupremacyTest_20171130 on my desktop. My error.log file reads

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Server stack trace:
at Supremacy.Game.CivilizationManager.get_Civilization() in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\CivilizationManager.cs:line 129
at Supremacy.Game.GameEngine.<>c.<OnTurnPhaseFinished>b__17_0(CivilizationManager civ) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\GameEngine.cs:line 152
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.<SelectManyIterator>d__17`2.MoveNext()
at Supremacy.Game.GameEngine.OnTurnPhaseFinished(GameContext game, TurnPhase phase) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\GameEngine.cs:line 153
at Supremacy.Game.GameEngine.DoTurn(GameContext game) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\GameEngine.cs:line 265
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyService.<>c__DisplayClass52_0.<DoTurnCore>b__0() in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs:line 621
at System.Linq.Observable.<>c__DisplayClass130.<>c__DisplayClass132.<ToAsync>b__12f()

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1.GetResult()
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyService.<DoTurnCore>d__52.MoveNext() in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs:line 624

Exception rethrown at [1]:
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable.ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult()
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyService.<ProcessTurn>d__51.MoveNext() in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs:line 537

Exception rethrown at [2]:
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>b__1(Object state)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback()

----------------------------------------
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Errors with Supremacy 20171130

Post by Iceman »

canucker wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:03 pm First off, major THANKS for this game - I've owned BotF since it came out, and only just discovered this (badly needed) remake, so YAY.
Hey canucker, welcome to the forums! Glad you're liking Supremacy!!

Unfortunately, I'm having some problems. I downloaded 20171130 this evening, and have tried playing a few times - every single time it crashed (exception) before turn 100. This happened when proposing membership to Bolians, when trying to build an outpost, and when just ending an uneventful turn.
The exception you posted below, did you get it in one of these situations? If so, which one?
Was there a random event that turn? If so, was it a catastrophic one? Which one?
Had you just subjugated a minor race? Were you "building" one of the unrest orders (like Martial Law)?
Was there an empire that got eliminated?
Were you playing as the Borg? If not, were they in play?
Did something happen to one of your envoys?

In addition, I seem to not be the only person having problems with diplomacy & saves - outbox 'Send' button appearance is infrequent (at best), most of the time if I try to create a message, it never lights up. This can be fixed by going to another screen then back to diplomacy. Saves are simply unavailable, I don't have the button lit up at all.

I'm running 64 bit Windows 10 and have checked all the pre-requisites are installed. The game folder is fully unzipped as SupremacyTest_20171130 on my desktop. My error.log file reads
Unfortunately, 64-bit Win10 does have these problems, they're referenced here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3613

Server stack trace:
at Supremacy.Game.CivilizationManager.get_Civilization() in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\CivilizationManager.cs:line 129
at Supremacy.Game.GameEngine.<>c.<OnTurnPhaseFinished>b__17_0(CivilizationManager civ) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\GameEngine.cs:line 152
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.<SelectManyIterator>d__17`2.MoveNext()
at Supremacy.Game.GameEngine.OnTurnPhaseFinished(GameContext game, TurnPhase phase) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\GameEngine.cs:line 153
at Supremacy.Game.GameEngine.DoTurn(GameContext game) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyCore\Game\GameEngine.cs:line 265
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyService.<>c__DisplayClass52_0.<DoTurnCore>b__0() in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs:line 621
at System.Linq.Observable.<>c__DisplayClass130.<>c__DisplayClass132.<ToAsync>b__12f()
Thanks for this!
I'll look into it. The questions I posted above, they may help to identify the problem, so if you could answer them I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for the feedback!
canucker
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by canucker »

Iceman wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm
The exception you posted below, did you get it in one of these situations? If so, which one?
Was there a random event that turn? If so, was it a catastrophic one? Which one?
Had you just subjugated a minor race? Were you "building" one of the unrest orders (like Martial Law)?
Was there an empire that got eliminated?
Were you playing as the Borg? If not, were they in play?
Did something happen to one of your envoys?
Pretty sure that one was the uneventful turn - I don't remember anything having happened (I posted the lot as I wasn't sure if the error.log was cumulative or not). No subjugation, no catastrophe, no building unrest order, if an empire had been eliminated I hadn't encountered them yet, I'm not playing as the Borg (random and special events are both enabled, so I'm presuming Borg are one of them), nothing had happened to an envoy.
Unfortunately, 64-bit Win10 does have these problems, they're referenced here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3613
Yep, got most of those :/ I've tried playing in compatibility mode for everything from XPSP3 onwards, and none of them change the behaviour.

My latest crash below. I had just tried giving the order to build a starbase (ever since science outposts became an option, trying to give any order to a construction ship generates in crash to desktop - I've seen the suggestion to remove science outposts, and will try that next).

at Supremacy.Client.Views.GalaxyScreenPresenter.ExecuteIssueTaskForceOrderCommand(Pair`2 p) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyClientComponents\Views\GalaxyScreen\GalaxyScreenPresenter.cs:line 496
at Supremacy.Client.Input.DelegateCommand`1.Execute(T parameter) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyClientComponents\Input\DelegateCommand.cs:line 150
at Supremacy.Client.Input.DelegateCommand`1.System.Windows.Input.ICommand.Execute(Object parameter) in C:\Projects\Supremacy VS2017\Mainline\SupremacyClientComponents\Input\DelegateCommand.cs:line 161
at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Commands.CompositeCommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

----------------------------------------
Thanks for the rapid reply, hope this is useful :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks, I'll look into it asap!

Science stations have always been an option. When I suggested removing them from the db it was to get around the problem in 64-bit Win10 where the buttons in the select target dialog aren't enabled - that's because that dialog only triggers if there are multiple items to select from; if you only have one item (OP or SB) there's no option, hence there's no dialog.

This might be related to the StationType tag I added in this release. I'm pretty suer I tested building stations when I added the voice clips, I can't recall if that was before or after adding the tag though.

I guess a new release might be in order...

Thank you very much for your help!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

canucker, I cannot repro the station build crash. I can build them just fine. Maybe you could download the game and unzip it again?

The other crash seems to be about the game not finding a civ - hence me asking if there had been a catastrophic event. I can't recall if I mde those only happen to the human player or to all civs... I'll check.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I checked and all random events only happen to the human player(s). So that wasn't it.

Should we change this? Should they happen to any player, human or AI controlled?

---

One of the crashes that is still lurking, and I haven't been able to squash, is when a fleet retreats from battle and gets eliminated in the same round. That's probably one of the crashes you got.
I tried to fix this a few times already, but haven't managed to nail it yet. I'll have another go soon.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi Iceman,

Sorry I haven't posted for a while. Things have been a little hectic and I haven't been able to play much.

Thanks for all your efforts in making this new version. I've downloaded the newest version just now and I can't get it working at all. Whenever I click on the client icon I get the Supremacy loading screen but shortly after it crashes without loading.

I have a feeling I have missed something in the installation, but I'm not sure what it might be.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

Hello again,

Just to let you know that I've sorted out the loading issue. I'll have a go and let you know what, if anything, I find. :)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey Borealis. Glad you got it working. Have fun!
mknote
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by mknote »

I can't seem to play as the Borg. When I select them as the empire to play as and click OK, the game just stops at the loading screen. This doesn't affect the other empires.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey mknote
To play as the Borg, please make sure you have the Special Events option set to Yes.
I have fixed that for the next release.
LMK if this fixes your problem.
mknote
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by mknote »

That did it. I'm assuming the Borg are mostly in the testing phase at the moment considering their initial setup.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Cool.
Yep, though they're not really meant to be a playable empire. They're meant to be a powerful special event, just like in BotF.

But the option to play as them is there, so we need ideas to get them to be interesting.
We need different Production Facilities - I was thinking Regeneration Alcove for the Food PF, and Data Nodes and whatever else we can come up with for the others. We will also need the corresponding descriptions of course ;) And images. The current Buildings are mostly placeholders. Any ideas are most welcome.
Voice clips for them (and the Dominion) are also needed, so anyone that can help in that department, please do!

Their initial setup cannot be too strong, or they'll rule the galaxy before anyone else can even build a decent fleet! I'm still trying to figure out how to handle credit generation and fleet upkeep. I have a couple of ideas, but it's all in the backburner for now, there's other priorities.

I've actually made a few tweaks after the release, smallish stuff, but in the right direcion I think.

As soon as I get the time, I'll add some AI for them to assimilate systems. This needs to be implemented with caution though, or the DQ will be an uninteresting place to explore :P
Katze
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Katze »

Hello,
I am able to reproduce the station build crash. Same error as described by canucker. Win 10 Pro. I could upload the save file.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey Katze, welcome to the forums!
Can you describe the situation in as much detail as possible please?
Was it the first station you try to build? Did you scrap any other station prior to this? Any station type in particular, or does it happen with any type? Does it always happen? Any specific civ, any specific starting tech level, etc?
I assume it's when you give the order to build, and have a choice between 2 types? Does it also happen when you're not prompted with the selection dialog?
Sorry about all the questions, I'm trying to pinpoint the problem.

If you would attach the logs (Error.txt and Log.txt) and the save file here, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

BTW, did this happen in the previous release too? Or is it new to this one? I'm guessing the latter, but just to be on the safe side.

----

Re the other crash, not sure if it's related but I noticed that if I start a game where the Borg are disabled, and then Retire and start another game with them on, the game will crash on map gen. Apparently the game doesn't reload civs again after retiring from a game, so it cannot find the civID for the Borg to fetch its empire color to draw the starmap... there are a few other issues related to this actually, fixing this one might fix the others.
I'll have to look into that.

Return to “Supremacy”