Have long-turn-loading times been fixed?

Important info on site change.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Have long-turn-loading times been fixed?

Post by thunderchero »

is it a limit or is code telling it to dump memory when it still could be used?

watching task manager it says it is using 80mb, but this is all the time, new game start, loading saved game, during a 2 min turn processing.

what I am thinking is,

ship "a"
read map info
write map info to memory (if it even write to memory?)
ship "a" uses info
clear memory (all ships after this could use this info and would speed up turn processing if not cleared)

ship "b"
read map info
write map info to memory
ship "b" uses info
clear memory
this pattern continues until it does this for 500 plus ships = long turn processing
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Watching the memory usage on large maps in later turns with lots of ai ships around should bring more light to it.
Either it sticks to some limit or correlates with the map and the fleet size.

The map info btw already is in memory. It must be in memory for being rendered and it must be in memory given you could watch the ai movements during calculation with the patch you mentioned earlier. Must be really funny to watch actually. ^^

If there's memory dumped, it is rather some sort of calculation buffer. From what you described it looks to be some kind of a search algorithm testing and evaluating every possible move. And I guess it does a depths search finishing one possible search path at a time, which means there might be plenty intermediate steps that could be dumped to release memory but then need to be re-calculated for the next search branch. If so the calculated intermediate steps ofc could also be dumped and re-calculated each time, but given a minimum sense for performance they rather picked a limit to memory dump the intermediate calculations. Would also match with the experience that only at a certain point it starts to get _really_ slow. But ofc hard to guess the actual implementation.

You could attach Process Monitor https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sys ... nitor.aspx to see what resource use and file access there is and again try to install botf to a virtual memory drive.
The possible issue described above however would cost pure cpu performance with the possibility of the visible memory usage constantly being dropped during calculation and then re-loaded to a certain limit. Might however go such fast you just see it hit the limit.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

For those watching this topic check out this new topic testers needed for Turn processing patch
Narn
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Narn »

playing UDM which i recently downloaded again playing small map turn 184 i timed the next turn to take just 1.36s which i'm pleased with although remembering what botf is like i guess i could soon be expected to get 10s+ turns soon

Return to “Site Information”