BOTF All in One installer 2.0.0 (Released 7-10-2020)

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: BOTF All in One installer 1.0.1 (Released 6-12-2017)

Post by thunderchero »

yes on windows 7 botf will run, but even windows 7 started to lose some of the support for older game. I have found DxWnd adds back the support and stability of the older operating systems from when it was created.

The way I have the installer set up, the shortcuts (desktop or from start menu) use command line functions to start DxWnd first to start botf or mods. This is why tools need to be installed first. Also DxWnd gives option to run fullscreen or windowed (select option during install of tools)

for any other game not installed by my installer DxWnd needs to be configured to an application (exe) before it has any effect.

yes DxWnd supports many older games. If you look in export folder in the "tools\dxwnd_Fullscreen" or "tools\dxwnd_windowed" of install path it lists 865 games that it supports
USS Jack Aubrey
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by USS Jack Aubrey »

Greetings guys, and thank you for keeping this game alive and playable and for making improvements to it.

Until now I have always run the game vanilla with just the 1366 resolution patch and I wanted to try a few MODS. Since my installer was a few years old, I decided to remove everything and get the 1.0.1 for a clean start. I have however a few questions:

1) I am using Windows 10 as a user with non-admin privileges. Is it normal that the game (either vanilla or mods) will only run if I run it as an admin? Otherwise, DXWnd will run normally, but trek.exe will fail to execute

2) I seem to have problems with the mods. Even though I selected the 1366 resolution when I ran the installer, the game stays in basic resolution. I tried downloading the graphic patch from the website, but it is older that the current installer and it failed. In the end I ran my old 1366 res patch, but it only upgraded the content for vanilla games.

3) I read in the error correction mod documentation that large galaxy had been discontinued. How come then that when I start the game with this mod, I still have the option to play in a large galaxy? What happens if I chose it?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

1) did you install "tools" first from AIO installer to install Dxwnd? if so shortcuts will now use command line to run DxWnd in taskbar and start game selected.

2) this also sounds like you are using separate older version of DxWnd (not installed by AIO installer) limiting resolution.

3) the large map version was a separate exe and has been discontinued. large galaxy works as normal.
USS Jack Aubrey
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Thanks again for your quick reply.

1-2) I did install the tools first. I checked and I am running the DxWnd 2.04.32 version, which, if I am not mistaken, is the one that comes with the new AIO installer. The problem is the same whether I use the desktop shortcut or run DxWnd first and then try to start the game. In both cases, either do it as an admin, or the game simply does not start (thogh in the latter, DxWnd opens normally). I had the same problem with my older version of DxWnd and I had hoped the new version would not have it. Also, is there a way to check the resolution inside the game?

This is unrelated. I am sorry, but, even though I did read the technical documentation, I am unclear on the status of command ships (and I mean all the ships described as such: the Galaxy, Sovereign, Vor'cha, D'kora, Galor and D'Deridex). Do they actually provide any useful bonus to other ships in any of the mods, or are they, gamewise, exactly like a normal cruiser, except with shorter range?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Earlier you stated you are not admin of this system. this maybe part of your issue.

so lets start over, uninstall all versions and tools from start menu or uninstall programs.

next right click the installer and select properties, in properties menu select compatibility tab at bottom select "run this program as administrator" select ok.

then run installer and install "tools and birth of the federation" only, on option page set to use windowed or fullscreen command line and resolution you want for vanilla. and allow installer to finish installing.

next test vanilla and report back results.

I would like to focus on vanilla and get it running first then mods should install fine.

it might also be helpful to provide info on system you are installing
type laptop/desktop
video card info

Edit; also report option you used during install (windowed or fullscreen and resolution)
USS Jack Aubrey
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Ok. First of all, we are talking about my personal laptop, so I have full control over it. I simply run it as a user with limited privileges as it is safer, but I do know the admin password.
My system is an Intel I5 M560 with 8gb of Ram. It has an integral video card as part of the Intel chipset, plus a GeForce GT420M. I am using it in a two-screen rig, with the laptop's own screen augmented by a Full HD monitor connected to the HDMI port. The monitor is the primary screen.

I have done as you asked. Cancelled everything and re-installed only the Vanilla. I also let it install in c:\botf instead of using a different folder as I normally did. I chose fullscreen and 1366 resolution, as that is my laptop screen's native resolution and I can therefore use it even when I have the laptop by itself.
The resolution appears to be ok. The only issue I keep having is the need to run the game as admin
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

USS Jack Aubrey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:18 amThe only issue I keep having is the need to run the game as admin
My first thought was to change the install path to c:\botf, but I see you already did so. Older games like BotF often write to the application folder, but since Win7 I think programs without admin rights are restricted to write to the application path for security reasons. Application files like save games are meant to be stored to the users hidden AppData\Local path instead.
Given C.\botf doesn't work for you either, maybe try to install to the user folder, e.g. C:\Users\<your_name>\botf
Or is it DxWnd that requires you to run as admin?

HTH
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi USS Jack Aubrey,

I just set up my laptop to duplicate you issues.

when running as standard user, it will ask every time since publisher is unknown to windows. sorry

I had no issues installing to different location. I tested in "C:\Program Files (x86)\botf" but this location will not allow multi player connection due to spaces in location name.

when using on secondary display you can only clone default screen to second monitor. BOTF does not like running on HDMI cable alone.

sorry I don't have any better result, but this old game is limited.

if you have any other issues let me know.
USS Jack Aubrey
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Thank you for your support guys. I apologise for not answering before, but there is heavy rain in my area and it has been creating issues with my Internet connection.
The asking of the password every time is annoying, but nothing more than that. Luckily, it does not have any impact on playing the game. I have my external monitor set up as the primary display, and so far I have managed to play BOTF on it without any issue. The only inconvenience, if we want to call it that, is that I have to reduce BOTF to icon before I can access content on the secondary (i.e. my laptop's) screen
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Ok so not to muddy the waters too much here. I downloaded DxWnd after talking with you Thunderchero. If I understood you right it was to install that first then the AIO installer for BOTF. I have my original BOTF disc. I have the newest version off of sourceforge 2.4.71. Unpacked the rar file and I just see an EXE and the other files but no install and no tool per se.

Is there a place I can go to find a step by step? Sorry to be dumb and need one.

Grady

P.S. Win7 X64, SSD, Nvidia GTX 460

EDIT: I guess let me also add. Do you have to run DxWnd to install the game? Or just to run the game once installed?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

there no need to update DxWnd since there has been no improvement to game play of BOTF. (I check every new update)

but to use newer version of DxWnd you would need to extract files to proper folder (or both) in tools (note do not overwrite dxwnd.ini but normally it is not included with package)
\tools\dxwnd_Fullscreen
\tools\dxwnd_windowed

DxWnd is only for game play.
Grady98
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Grady98 »

Ok - thanks again ThunderChero.

One more question I hope.

In the original post that started this thread - the link to the AIO Installer page https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... le_id=1958 - the step by step says to make sure you have "direct Play" from the legacy components in the windows files. I checked mine and the option to even install this is not in there. I guess I am not the only person too...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2c5e4e42c7

What should I do?

Window 7 X64 Home

Also - the installer page seems to be missing pictures?? Or is it just my browser? (i.e. big gaps in between text)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Grady98 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 pm What should I do?
nothing, direct Play is now turned on by installer. iirc window 7 it does not apply anyway.
Grady98 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:49 pm Also - the installer page seems to be missing pictures?? Or is it just my browser? (i.e. big gaps in between text)

what browser? They appear for me on Vivaldi, edge, firefox, google and internet explorer on windows 10.
Army37
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Army37 »

Hi
I tried to install the All in One installer, first time in full screen mode....all the mods installed crashed or failed to launch. no crash log available

Uninstalled and re-installed, the tools (DxWnd windowed), Vanilla and Galaxies Mods (windowed)
Prior to install, I checked the Legacy Component to allow Direct Play.

I also tried to launch Vanilla straight from thr botf folder (trek.exe) and it crashed.
Checked the botf.ini but don't know what to change in there

Computer is Intel Core i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHZ
Processor Graphic in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
Video Card: NVIDIA GEFORCE 930m
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

since you stated it will not launch from install folder, it sounds like your video does not support the installed resolution.

the tools version install controls if it is windowed or fullscreen. but this is only the "target" path of shortcut. So if you change folder path of shortcut you can switch between fullscreen and windows without un-installing.

example for vanilla (default install path)
fullscreen target
C:\botf\tools\dxwnd_Fullscreen\dxwnd.exe /R:1
windowed target
C:\botf\tools\dxwnd_windowed\dxwnd.exe /R:1

Return to “Support Archive”