Commands in Tactical Combat

Commands in tactical combat; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Commands in Tactical Combat

Post by thunderchero »

I found this interesting for those how hate AI ships retreating. :wink:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:35 pm The AI battle calculation (run or fight) seems to hide in sub_479020, with the below codes initiating the fleet retreat:

Code: Select all

AUTO:00477B00                 mov     edx, 0Ah
AUTO:00477DED                 mov     edx, 0Ah
If you change retreat to a different command such as evade at;

0x771ed    BA 0A -> BA 07
and
0x76f00    BA 0A -> BA 07 
A single Ai ship will fight to death.... but if AI ships can use group command (more than 1 ship present of same Group ID) they will still retreat :shock:

note; this was very min/quick testing, but interesting results.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Forcing AI to ram instead of retreat?

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Let's go deeper. In sub_478370 we find some nice retreat orders:

AUTO:00478482                 mov     dword ptr [ecx+1FCh], 0Ah // non-combat unarmed
AUTO:00478563                 mov     dword ptr [ecx+1FCh], 0Ah // non-combat armed
AUTO:004785C8                 mov     dword ptr [ecx+1FCh], 0Ah // warships
Fun fact is that the codes here can only switch between retreat and the ram orders I listed above.

So let's give more teeth to AI by forcing the ram command: :up: :twisted:

AUTO:004783C7                 jnz     loc_478590 -> nop        // warships
0x777C7 -> 0F 85 C3 01 00 00 -> 90 90 90 90 90 90

AUTO:00478480                 jge     short loc_4784E4 -> jmp  // non-combat unarmed
0x77880 -> 7D -> EB

AUTO:00478507                 jnz     short loc_478563 -> nop  // non-combat armed
0x77907 -> 75 5A -> 90 90

EDIT:
thunderchero wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:27 pmif AI ships can use group command (more than 1 ship present of same Group ID) they will still retreat :shock:
This option won't force Ram but might avoid Retreat of warships: :wink:

AUTO:004785BC                 jle     loc_4783E6 -> nop jmp loc_4783E6
0x779BC -> 0F 8E -> 90 E9
EDIT2:

Alternatively just change the warship retreat command to ram. This might leave the standard command selection intact, but still force warships to ram instead of retreat. :idea:

AUTO:004785C8                 mov     dword ptr [ecx+1FCh], 0Ah // retreat warships ->  set 09 ram
0x779CE -> 0A -> 09
This might also work with other commands like evade, but code switches at some points expect either retreat or ram. Not sure how this performs.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Hi Spocks-cuddly-tribble,

I have been looking for the location for commands for each combat group. I know I am just missing it or blind

I presume you are selecting ram same as me due to it is a "safe" command for all groups? the main group issue being the support / non-combat group. Since all ship models have at least 1 phaser slot. we can add min ship stats to all support / non-combat ships to allow more "safe" options.

Example; if fast attack command "charge" was changed to "assault" Then we would have a safe "assault" command for all combat group for this concept preventing AI from retreating and still allow them to have a good fight.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 amI have been looking for the location for commands for each combat group. I know I am just missing it or blind
Problem is there are different switch modes in different processing depths.

Special cases:

- vs. monster, station, minor ships, 3+ way battles (with allies?)
- non-combat group
- special checks for selected retreat and ram commands -> triggering of a new command selection loop with changed input values? e.g. at 477E79, 477EA7 & 477FD5

Some examples:

- loc_4784F0: non-combat(armed) vs. ships: assault, evade, retreat & ram
- 4786F5... : group commands vs stations
- ship vs. ship commands for groups 0-2 are taken from data fields ds:5905D4(fast), ds:590674(long range) and ds:590714(slow) via intricate index operations (special case: evade at 478863)

I presume you are selecting ram same as me due to it is a "safe" command for all groups?
No, I just adapted the default code switches at this point.
the main group issue being the support / non-combat group. Since all ship models have at least 1 phaser slot. we can add min ship stats to all support / non-combat ships to allow more "safe" options.
Non-combat group shouldn't be a problem due to the special code switches. :wink:
Just edit their special retreat / ram codes for your taste (or leave them alone).

Problem could be the special checks for selected retreat and ram commands -> triggering of a new command selection loop with changed input values? e.g. at 477E79, 477EA7 & 477FD5

Means if we change the retreat command to something other than ram, the code might miss some trigger point information, maybe with side effects like an infinite loop i.e. crash/freeze. So testing/verifying all possible combat constellations might be frustating/time-consuming.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
EnPhreg
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re:

Post by EnPhreg »

thunderchero wrote: Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 am combat.mnu:
Note; description in combat.mnu only changes text in popup command window not tactical display on left.
that's right,
but how to change the headline for the tactical display on the left side?
i saw SCT's code for the descriptions, but each tactical display has also a headline.
so where this headlines are assigned to their command? find nothing in trek.exe near the data field SCT specified for assigning the descriptions.
but only a cosmetic problem.

note: in lexicon the headlines are located right next to their descriptions. index neighbours.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

I can tell you where in trek.exe

at 4A8FF4 is start for code subsections

offset for tga file names start at 57EE44
EnPhreg
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by EnPhreg »

very good, thank you.
really hidden this tiny values.
in vanilla botf some headlines are wrong assigned.
time for some corrections.
EnPhreg
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by EnPhreg »

i've noticed that in stbof.res are a lot more pictures for tactical orders, than used in the game.
from the previous posts i know that some in vanilla BotF unused tactical orders are already programmed and usable, like cloaking, which already has entries in the lexicon file. but all the other unused tactical orders only have pictures and no useable programmed code in vanilla BotF??
some of the unused tactical orders look very interesting.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

There are many unused images and files in the stbof.res. I had a list of all the "not used images" at one time.
EnPhreg
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by EnPhreg »

yes, but are the not used tactical orders already implemented in BotF and useable or does only the pictures exists?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

After testing new ship stats for MUM with Chris, it got me wishing we had option for "group" vs solo target

right now if you want to target the weakest ship, you have to solo target each ship.

But it was a great test combat, 10 fed heavy cruiser II vs 10 cardassain heavy cruiser II (with cloak)

battle took 25 - 30 turns and was a lot of fun changing up commands as he would change his.
btw Chris won as feds and as cards. last one I took feds and Chris only had 2 of his HC II that survived.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Tactical Combat - "group" vs solo target Option

thunderchero wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:56 pmit got me wishing we had option for "group" vs solo target

right now if you want to target the weakest ship, you have to solo target each ship.
We have that (semi-implemented) as part of the broken/unfinished command ship feature: :wink:

Callahan wrote:By accident, I discovered how to set all ships in a group to target one enemy.

Center the enemy by right click.

Get your ships orders.
Now, double right click the enemy ship with HOLDING the second click, then target him by left click.

Release buttons.

If all enemies have boxes around repeat.
The other boxes will disapear on success and you will frag one damn enemy for good without having to single target all ships on him.

Just learned that you must have at least 1 ship for command and control for this to work.

This probably is a semi implemented feature to let the command cruisers coordinate attacks, as said in the ship descriptions.
viewtopic.php?p=4409#p4409

:!: Warning :!: It's a bit buggy i.e. sometimes game can crash/freeze like with other interface bug shenanigans:
Callahan wrote:I discovered that you can "lend" commands from other ships in a battle.
Just click on your ship and move the mouse over another - even enemy - ship to use it´s abilities for your ship/group.
Advice: Don´t let Starbases do fancy things. Crashes combat.
Tactical cheating

Removing both 'jz' via nop should unlock the feature without command ship or station:

004A543C           cmp   ds:Command_Feature_if_1, 0 
004A5443           jz    loc_4A537B
004A5449           call  Command_Feature_target_GUI

004AC19D           cmp   ds:Command_Feature_if_1, 0
004AC1A4           jz    loc_4ABFEF            
004AC1AA           call  Command_Feature_target_GUI

Return to “Commands in tactical combat”