Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Post by Iceman »

The game might have some issues when running on machines with the 64-bit version of Win 10, update 1903+.

1 - the OK button in the build station selection dialog (which is only displayed when there are multiple choices, that is, when the Science Station is available) is grayed out
(workaround: double-click the station)

2 - the Save Game button in the Main Menu is grayed out
(workaround: hit S to open the Save Game dialog; if in the galaxy map, CTL+S opens the dialog)

3 - The Send button in the Diplomacy screen is grayed out when you only add a credits/resources gift or request
(workaround: click the Outbox button again)

4 - the arrow buttons to change population units assigned to Production Facilities don't work, especially the right side one
(workaround: click directly on the population unit boxes; or double-click a few times until it works)

5 - the Save button in the Save Game dialog is grayed out
(workaround: select a saved game and hit Enter, or double-click the saved game)

6 - the OK button in the shipbuiding screen is grayed out [hot-fixed for now]
(workaround: double-click the ship)

7 - the Scrap menu for Buildings in the Structures tab of the Colony screen sometimes is grayed out
(workaround: ALT+TAB out and back)

8 - When you Retire from a game, the Multiplayer and the Load Game buttons in the Main Menu are grayed
(workaround: click on those buttons)

9 - When you cancel a shipbuilding project, the Build a Starship icon sometimes cannot be clicked
(workaround: exit to the galaxy map and go back to the shipyard, or right-click anywhere on the shipyard except the icon)

10 - At the start of a turn, if you hit Escape to go to the Main Menu, the Save Game button is grayed out
(workaround: go back to the galaxy map, open the Colony screen [F2], go to the Main Menu)

ALT+TAB out and back should work for most of these issues.
If any of the information reproduced here is not accurate or is incomplete, please let me know so I can rectify.

Related to #6:
Iceman wrote: If I have another window open in the background (say Notepad), and I click the build button and select a ship and the button is grayed out, I ALT+TAB to the other window (Np in this case) - and this is the important part - and I change its status (from maximized to not maximized, or the other way around) and then ALT+TAB back to the game, the button is active again.
Craig Poole wrote: Unfortunately, when clicking on some ships it crashed the whole game. I've only tested it with the Federation faction and before it was only doing it when you double-clicked on the construction ship however it just crashed again when I double-clicked on a Cruiser 5. It doesn't always happen but most of the time with the Construction ship the game crashes back to desktop without an error message.
Craig Poole wrote:I think I’ve found a work around for the crashing bug I mentioned earlier. Open the game with Compatability Windows 7 on. I’ve clicked on so many ships it should have crashed multiple times by now but it hasn’t.

Additional issues:
I may have found some info on the grayed out button problem. While playing on certain turns I notice a game slowdown. Every screen, opening and closing, dragging the map, adding to or removing labour force or energy. During certain turns it has a slow down, its laggy. During these laggy turns, the buttons are grayed out. I've noticed when I find a turn that is not laggy, and my diplomancy send button is available. The main screen save is also always available.
I'll have to double check the lag to gray button coloration but, when my diplomacy send button is available without exiting first, the main screen save button is also available on that same turn. Every time, %100.
The slowdown is on random turns. I'll have to start a few new games to see if there is a certain turn it starts showing up.
Though once it does appear it is not in every turn. It comes and goes.
For now i can confirm that after update (1803) all of the issues above emerge, game becomes leggier, even shipyard view of models starts to spin slower.
This is not issue from game, but windows 10 update at some point between 2016 and today, or some cpu/gpu related setting in windows that is changed after update.
The game launches fine and seems to be stable, but in-game there seems to be a great deal of input lag when clicking map tiles or buttons, and zooming and panning the map. The lag seems to vary between 100ms and a full second.
It happens from the very start. I have 16GB of RAM, and the game only consumes around 700MB of it as far as I played. It never comes anywhere near to bottlenecking the CPU or GPU, either. Everything else on the system is smooth as normal.
However what struggles me more is the rather "bad" performance of the game engine. There is major "lagging" on the galaxa map when trying to scroll around, theres a even worse sometimes a huge "clicking" delay when trying to click menu items.
Sometimes one cannot scroll the building list for selecting constructible buildings which are on top.
Most of the time some buttons are greyed out (and indeed are unclickable) although they should work (especially in diplomacy). As a workaround I click another menu (like inbox, and the outbox againg in Diplomacy screen) to get the send message button become "clickable". Same with the save game button or when entering ctrl+s and then the save game button is greyed out and unclickable (however one can use the "enter" button instead and it works).
There many more such issues. But the worst is really the lagging in menus and on scrolling the map (or the lag until the right-click menu comes up).

Possible "solution":
I think this may have to do with XNA and Win10, the 3D ship models in the Shipyard screen for example rotate a lot slower in Win10 than in Win7.
One other thing you can try is to rename the \Resources\Textures folder so that the game won't load the star textures (for the star system panel), which I believe to be the (XNA) problem. The stars won't be displayed in the star system panel, but if it helps with the problem and it doesn't bother you, it's a way around the issue.
The special "stars" like nebulae and such shouldn't have this issue, as they're static images, not XNA rendered.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Post by Borealis999 »

Hi there,

I wish to expand on what's said above.

1 - I have been able to build a station in my home system, but nowhere else. The selection dialog did show the option to build but it tells me that I don't have the resources.

2 - The save option does occasionally light up but is very intermittent. When it does show the only way to save over your previous save point is to highlight it and press enter as the "OK" button doesn't work.

3 - The send button in the Diplomacy screen doesn't light up initially but pressing F1 then F3 usually illuminates the button.

4 - This one is not accurate. It is possible to move population but sometimes the arrow buttons don't work. You can still click on the boxes to move them about. For example, if you wish to move 4 population from the farms to the universities click on the 5th farm from the right. That will remove 4 to the labour pool. To get them to the universities just click anywhere in the university line that is more than four away from the last lit box.... Hey presto, they've moved. Sorry if this is a bit patronising but you never know who might be reading. It may help someone who is new to this game.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks for the corrections!
Since I cannot repro the issues, I was trying to understand from 3 different people's reports how the issues manifested in the game.

1 - you mean it is only a matter of not having enough resources? Because that's intended.

4 - thanks for the clarification. So it's the buttons that don't work.

It seems to be related to buttons not refreshing, or not working at all.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

No problem,

1 - Yes I think it's just a matter of understanding how the construction ships gain the required resources to build stations. I know they can collect Deuterium but how do they get Duranium? I know Duranium is mined by facilities built in systems but is it a commodity that, once mined, is shared? Is it just used by the mining system? How can I get it to the construction ships?

2 - Correction: it's not the "OK" button it's the "Save" button and it has now started working intermittently; which is bizarre as I haven't changed anything, lol.

4 - Yes, most of the time the left button seems to work but the right one has never worked for me.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Edited the original topic to reflect feedback. Can you check if it's correct and understandable now, please? Thanks!

--

I think you're over-thinking things here. It's quite simple, actually.
Like I explained in the other thread, you have global pools for each of the 3 resources (Dilithium, Deuterium and Duranium). They're shown in the galaxy screen, on the left. Those are your empire's totals, there are no local resource pools. Everything that is mined or collected or othewise gained is placed in the global pools. Whenever you build something, doesn't matter where, the respective resources are removed from those global pools. If one of them cannot match the amount required by the item being built (ships, stations, batteries, whatever), the item cannot be built.
Construction ships do not store or otherwise carry any resources. They are just "magically" retrieved from your global pools. In addition, construction ships can also Collect Deuterium, if they're in a system that has a nebula or a gas giant planet. But the collected Deuterium goes to the global pool, just like that which is produced in Oceanic planets or systems with a Nebula by means of a Building.
Hope this helps, but if you have any questions, please do fire away.
Borealis999
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Borealis999 »

That's great, Iceman. I started thinking that way but when I found that construction ships could mine Deuterium it threw me. That's cleared everything up. I shall continue in my efforts to take over the galaxy (spotting any issues as I go).
MadHaTr
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by MadHaTr »

Hello. I have problems with Win10 x64 as well. I am running SupremacyTest_20180607
EDIT: WOW i made this account back in 2009 and this is my first post.

1. Not that far yet.

2. Save game button does not show up. (EDIT: I mean it is grayed out.)

3. I to have the send message button grayed out until I go to the galaxy and back.

4. The right arrow population assign. It seemed to not work at first, but after a few double clicks the right arrow worked fine.

5. My population assignments were not discarded after turn and seem to be working ok.

6. I am not able to make fleets. I drag ships to the drag area and nothing happens.

7. The OK button to build ships does not light up. I have to double click ships to build them.
Last edited by MadHaTr on Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Heh, I'm glad you (finally) posted! ;)
Thanks for the feedback!

1 - With the changes to stations, this problem was mitigated.

2 - What do you mean, the button is "invisible"? Or grayed out?

4 - Odd. What about the left arrow, same thing?

5 - Good. I thought that it was kind of odd that pop assignments would be affected.

6 - Does this only happen in the redeployment screen like you are describing, or does it also happen when dragging and dropping ships in the Task Force list?

7 - Will add this one too.
MadHaTr
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by MadHaTr »

2 - Meant it is grayed out. Edited post.

4 - Today I couldn't get the left arrow to work.

6 - I did not know I could create fleets in the task force list. After doing so I looked in the redeployment screen and realized the error I was making. I took the instructions too literal. I was dragging my ships the area that said "here". After seeing how it was organized things worked as expected.

I may have found some info on the grayed out button problem. While playing on certain turns I notice a game slowdown. Every screen, opening and closing, dragging the map, adding to or removing labour force or energy. During certain turns it has a slow down, its laggy. During these laggy turns, the buttons are grayed out. I've noticed when I find a turn that is not laggy, and my diplomancy send button is available. The main screen save is also always available.

I'll have to double check the lag to gray button coloration but, when my diplomacy send button is available without exiting first, the main screen save button is also available on that same turn. Every time, %100.

Edit: System Specs
win10 x64
Evga GTX 1080ti hybrid 11GB
i7 7700k
32GB ram.
512GB pcie NVMe SSD
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks for all the info!

This slowdown you noticed, is it from the start of the game, or only from a certain turn onwards?
MadHaTr
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by MadHaTr »

The slowdown is on random turns. I'll have to start a few new games to see if there is a certain turn it starts showing up.

Though once it does appear it is not in every turn. It comes and goes.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Danijel thinks this issue might be related to a 64bit OS running a 32bit app.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... plications
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

One more question about #4:
Does it happen for all civs, or just for the Feds, or just for everyone but the Feds?
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

Installed win10, along with xna 3.1 and 4.0. Game extracted and ran from desktop\game.
I could not replicate any of button issues. Didnt test outpost one.
Will update windows now and redo the test.

Can you guys try following;
open cmd as admin ,and run
sfc /scannow

-keep in mind you have to let verification finish and it could take 20-30mins-

Ref link:Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

#1 is only an issue / can now only be tested in an anomaly, since now science stations can only be built in one of those sectors.

Return to “Supremacy”