Playing as the Borg

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Playing as the Borg

Post by Iceman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Yes, it is possible to play as the Borg. But there isn't much you can do with them, at least not yet. They only have a couple of (experimental) specific buildings (with no images yet!), so it's kind of limited in terms of gameplay.
They can't colonize, they can't invade, their ships are quite expensive. Any feedback on how to improve them is welcome.
Here's what you have to do:
edit the \Resources\Data\Civilizations.xaml file, find the entry for the Borg (line 71), and change their civilization type from Special to Empire. And that's it! (You can do this for any civilization actually, meaning minors)

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Re: Playing as the Borg

Post by Iceman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:57 pm

They can now assimilate colonies btw. They dont convert to Borg yet though.

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Post by Iceman » Thu May 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Population of assimilated colonies will be converted to Borg in the next release.

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Post by Iceman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Population of assimilated systems is now converted to Borg, and atmosphere is changed to Assimilated.
We still need to make them more attractive though.

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Post by Iceman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Transwarp Hubs are not working properly yet, they're just regular (but unarmed) space stations at the moment. They will eventually allow instantaneous travel between Hubs.

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Post by Iceman » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:15 pm

The original topic is now kind of moot, as the Borg are now treated as an empire, which can be set as a playable empire in the Settings window, Gameplay tab.
The current build will hang if you select the Borg, and set SpecialEvents to No. This has been fixed for the next release - selecting the Borg will override disabling the Borg as a special event.

The next release will also have some tweaks to Borg shipbuilding, TWH stats, and I'll reactivate Locutus (which I forgot for the current build...) - though he won't be of any use atm, only really for the coolness factor ;)

I'll try get some AI done for the Borg, to assimilate systems, when I get the time.

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Post by Iceman » Sat May 19, 2018 3:51 am

Moving through a TWH now costs a lot of Deuterium. If there isn't enough Deuterium for a fleet to move using the TWH, it wll move normally - should probably add a warning dialog.

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Post by Iceman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 pm

Tweaked Borg shipbuilding a bit for the next release.

Iceman
Captain
Captain

Post by Iceman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:49 pm

The Borg cannot assimilate any Founder world (there can be more than one link now) and any non-humanoid race (the Excalbians and the Horta - did I forget any others? ).
Upon assimilation of a colony, all farms are immediately converted to alcoves.

Return to “Supremacy”