Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Iceman »

Fixed an old bug that I thought I had already fixed, when construction ships building a station would retreat and keep on building it in the new sector.
Also made retreating fleets not just retreat to an adjacent sector, but also to actually move to the nearest friendly colony. This will help with the AI's fleets that retreat, which would just "freeze".

Worked a bit more on how AI fleets react to Borg fleets.

Shipbuilding when upgrading the shipyard seems to be fixed.

Intercept is still not working properly... I know what the problem is though, will fix.

Minors were still getting TRs when members of an empire, fixed.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

HI Iceman,

I just played SupremacyTest_20181019 and it crashed. Can I send the error report to someone, if so where do I upload it to?
Also, in the game all planets in all systems were already terraformed, is that normal for this build?
I registered aaaaaages ago and forgot my password and the email I used.. By chance I found my account details again (yay). Although I haven't posted anything, I have been keeping an eye on this thread since I registered, and I believe that a lot of others are doing the same. When you do finish supremacy, I think its ganna be a big deal for many like myself. I'd love to help, but I'm no good at 3d modeling or any really cool computer stuff.. If you have any simple stuff, I'd be glad to throw a stick at it.
How are you going with the 3d battle engine? Is anyone working on that at all, or is that awaiting an awesome person to dig their teeth into it?
In any case, as far as I can tell, Iceman, you are the only one that's active anymore on these forums and keeping the light burning for all of us botf geeks waiting in anticipation for botf2, and I want to thank you for that, and encourage you to continue the awesome work, it is really appreciated, even though most of us choose not to post here.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey the6the, welcome back to the forums! ;)

Can you give me more specifics about the crash? It wouldn't have happened when you tried terraforming an uncolonized system, would it? If so, it's a known crash, I mentioned it in the previous page of this thread - unfortunately I only noticed it right after release, but since terraforming wasn't actually doing anything, I didn't re-upload. It's fixed now.
Can you please attach the error report in this thread? There's a button right below the message box, Full Editor & Preview, then select Attachments. Thanks!
Also, in the game all planets in all systems were already terraformed, is that normal for this build?
Yep. Actually, they are still all showing their class in red. In the next release (in my current dev build) they will be red if unterraformed, yellow when being terraformed and green if fully terraformed, just like in BotF :up:
Terraforming will not have much of an effect yet, as the AI doesn't know how to cope with it. So for now it will only slow down human players (they have to terraform at least one planet to colonize the system, the AI doesn't), and to improve relations with other civs (by terraforming their systems).
I'll complete terraforming in the next build, when I have time to teach the AI, and test it properly. I don't want to mess things up, this can break the game if the AI doesn't know how to use it...

Although I haven't posted anything, I have been keeping an eye on this thread since I registered, and I believe that a lot of others are doing the same. When you do finish supremacy, I think its ganna be a big deal for many like myself. I'd love to help, but I'm no good at 3d modeling or any really cool computer stuff.. If you have any simple stuff, I'd be glad to throw a stick at it.
Really glad to hear this, sometimes I wonder if anyone is actually still reading all this. :mrgreen:
As for helping out, there's always "simple" stuff to help out with. This thread points out some of that stuff:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3302

Off the top of my head, if you can do 2D images, we need the Game Context Menus (the right-click menus) for the civs that are still using the old one (all but the Klingons and Cardassians). Those would be really cool.

If music and sound is your thing, we still need a bunch of themes for the various empires, and any sound fx that are still not in the game. We're using the BotF ones, but I don't have the time to "map" them all and convert them (for example, we only have the TerraformPlanetOrder.wav one for the Cardassians, I couldn't find the other civs' yet.

And finally, texts. Some texts need to be improved. I'm not an english native speaker, and I cannot afford to spend much time coming up with cool texts (that's time not spent coding), so anything that doesn't sound quite right - or that could sound better - I'm happy to change.
The Borg need a bunch of stuff. I'm adding customized SitReps for them (like when they eliminate a civ, etc), but I'm just not a very inspired writer :roll: and their buildings need descriptions - or just better ideas for buildings, they're more or less placeholders. We need names for their Production Facilities too, with descriptions. Even their own description, I took it off Memory Alpha. Their Encyclopedia entry is kind of misplaced, I guess. Anything that improves their current state would be cool.
Customized texts for the Special Events are also game, we only have a few.
And ship names. I have a list with a bunch of them, but they are never too many. Some day I'll have to implement them...
And finishing the Greeting texts, it's been a while since mooshuo last checked in. They're about half? way through.

Oh, and the database. Any suggestions for that are welcome. I'm going through it as time permits, but I always feel like there are still some quirks... There are truckloads of +PercentBiotechResearch buildings, I'll axe a few; I want to introduce some +PercentIntercept ones, maybe a few more +PercentRaiding, some of the more unused ones.

Wheeew, sorry for the barrage! Got a little excited there with the prospect of some more help. There have been a bunch of wonderful people working on and off on the game, but RL tends to get in the way...

How are you going with the 3d battle engine? Is anyone working on that at all, or is that awaiting an awesome person to dig their teeth into it?
If you know an awesome person like that, bring them here! We really could use such a person.

In any case, as far as I can tell, Iceman, you are the only one that's active anymore on these forums and keeping the light burning for all of us botf geeks waiting in anticipation for botf2, and I want to thank you for that, and encourage you to continue the awesome work, it is really appreciated, even though most of us choose not to post here.
Thanks! It would be cool to have more action around here, but I understand that there isn't all that much to post about while the game is not finished. Though some sort of AARs could help detect balance problems, database issues, etc. Maybe everything is just perfect, heheh.

Like I said above, RL gets in the way. Danijel is busy with a course, so any more work on 3D models will have to wait (he has some pretty cool stuff planned). Other people working on texts are also taking a break. That's the nature of these projects. It might be an opportunity for other people to step up and become an active part in the project. :wink:
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Hi Iceman,

Nah, I dodn't try terraforming since all the planets were already habitable, so it wasn't that. I've attached the error report as you asked (Ihope I did it right..)

Some of the things that need to be done sound quite cool, I'll take a look at the stuff and see what I could do! I'll ask around if anyone I know has 3d skills.. you never know!

I just played another game right now.. it awesome as is.. let alone when its done:)

I'll pop back in once I've taken a look at the to do list:)
Attachments
Error.txt
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks for the error log. Yeah, that crash is related to Agents, someone had already reported it, and I already (hopefully) fixed it.

I´ll update the to do thread with the latest needs for texts related to the Borg and other improvements.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Hi Iceman,

I've done the text greetings for the rest of major civs (the only one done till now was the Borg). I took the greetings from botf vanilla for all of them except for the Dominion, which I made up. (I imagined Weyoun rocking up at my doorstep :mrgreen: )
As for the minor races, I'll be taking a look at making up my own, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing so for all of them, as I don't feel acquainted with some of the races we've got here on the list. I feel they might sound a little generic after I've done a few..
I'm also looking into doing some audio stuff (voice) for the Borg. I found this great tip on how to do the Borg voice, so I'll be giving that a go some day down the line (problem is getting the house perfectly quiet!)

Let me know if what I've done is ok, coz I'm not a coder, and I don't know if I've stuffed something up or not.
Attachments
Civilizations.xml
(100.08 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Cool, thanks!
If you can record the Dominion greeting, that'd be awesome! And all the other soundfx, ofc ;)
And the Borg too, the ones I did are awful... I used a video on how to do Borg voices too, hehe.

As for the greetings for the minors, do what you can, I think mooshuo used some lines from the episodes.

Don't worry, I'll port your changes to my files. You're doing great so far.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Here´s the updated file, with your greetings already copied over.
All the minors from P onwards (Pakled) are done, so we just need from A to O :wink:
I like the Dominion greeting BTW :up:
Attachments
Civilizations.xml
(100.18 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

I've been playing around with some sound effects.. here are some Borg wav files attached. Lemme know what you think.
As for the greetings, I've just got past the A's (there are a lot of A's!) The betazoids were a no-brainer. Once I get up to Pakleds, I'll send it in.

Oh.. I just tried uploading the wav file and I got error:
ERROR
Invalid file extension: We are the borg surrender your ships.wav

can I upload this somewhere else?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

You can upload them to BitBucket, in the Downloads section.
https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/supremacy/downloads/

I removed the quotation marks in the Greeting texts (that mooshuo had added). What do you think looks best? With or without?
I was used to the texts with them, they seemed "naked" without them. But that might be me being used to seeing them there.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

I can't seem to find the upload button that's usually on the right in the downloads section of bitbucket. Do I need to get permission of sorts in order to upload?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

You don't have the Add Files blue button?
You probably need write permission to upload files too... I think only Mike can give you that.
I'll PM you my email address, if you don't mind sending them over by email? Or sharing them any other way?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Fixed a potential issue with localization and soundfx for fleet orders.
Added a bunch of SitReps related to the Borg.
The Raid order should now be working as in BotF; also fixed the sitrep double-clicking not taking you to the sector.
Fixed the Intercept order, it should now be working as in BotF.
Klingons are less inclined to retreat from an unfavourable battle, and cloak also is a factor.
In combat, stations are targeted after the ships defending them.
A few tweaks to diplomacy, among them Peaceful and Pacifist minors always accept a cease-fire.
Fixed the DoW on member crash. The game is still crashing when membership is cancelled through breaking agreements though.
Made the AI OB construction code a bit more robust.
Started working on making Demon planets do something in the game, nothing visible yet but I'll improve it in the next few days.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 am The Raid order should now be working as in BotF
Not really, only the sector where the fleet is in is actually raided.

Since currently there is no way to destroy a shipyard (except destroying the colony, that is), I'll try to come up with a way to offer this possibility to the attacker.
A way to blockade TRs would also be nice, if you have threatened with an embargo in the diplomacy screen.
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

I've finished the greetings for the rest of the races..
Some of them are kinda fun:)
Attachments
Civilizations.xml
(110.19 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

Return to “Supremacy”