Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by the6the »

Thank YOU Iceman, you've done some very cool work on this latest build. Really glad I could help, and will continue to!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:33 am I ended up having to re-upload today, there was a bug with targeting stations of neutral civs in combat (they wouldn't be targeted, so combat could eventually not end if it was an unarmed station like the TWH), and a potential hang with assimilation if a ship would be built in the colony the turn it was assimilated (thus rendering the ship "orphan")... I hope they're fixed, will test it when I have some free time.
Crap, stations of civs you're not at war with cannot be targeted, the fix didn't work...
They will fire though, so try not to open up on non-hostile stations, ok? :wink:

The assimilation issue is fixed though.
(next release I'll have to turn farms into alcoves on assimilation)
the6the
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by the6the »

Small bug, well, maybe.. When traveling by TH with the borg, if the path passes through a neutron star, it stops the taskforce.
This is actually quite cool, it will make you think twice when to build your TH's when playing with the Borg. Plus it makes sense too. Please don't fix it:)

This is a bug though: When playing the Borg, the major civs can be assimilated in the same turn you find them (if you have enough cubes, of course) not giving them the chance to defend themselves, since you're automatically at war with them as soon as you find them. With minors this is not the case, and it takes at least a couple of turns, coz they turn on their defenses after 1st turn, major civs don't have this chance. I found I didn't have to even assault the major civs systems at all, whereas all the minor races, no matter how small they were, I had to assault them before assimilation. Perhaps leave major races out of war with the Borg until either side declares it.

The Dominion sounds are o.k., but they are on the quiet side. I will definitely have to re-do them all before the next update. I'll look into getting all the volumes at a similar level, but tht might take some doing..

The terraforming is working, but it doesn't show progress (remains at 0%) and I thought it wasn't working for the first 3-4 turns. It then turns one random planet green, the rest remain red, but you get the benefits of all the planets in the system (goes up to max pop immediately). Though I'm not sure if you get any food or energy bonuses on the planets that are still red. I'll have to check that.

This is awesome work though, Iceman. Really cool stuff.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

the6the wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:51 pm Small bug, well, maybe.. When traveling by TH with the borg, if the path passes through a neutron star, it stops the taskforce.
This is actually quite cool, it will make you think twice when to build your TH's when playing with the Borg. Plus it makes sense too. Please don't fix it:)
Heh, some anomalies take more ´moves´ to cross, some stop the fleet cold. That´s intended.
This is a bug though: When playing the Borg, the major civs can be assimilated in the same turn you find them (if you have enough cubes, of course) not giving them the chance to defend themselves, since you're automatically at war with them as soon as you find them. With minors this is not the case, and it takes at least a couple of turns, coz they turn on their defenses after 1st turn, major civs don't have this chance. I found I didn't have to even assault the major civs systems at all, whereas all the minor races, no matter how small they were, I had to assault them before assimilation. Perhaps leave major races out of war with the Borg until either side declares it.
Well, that was intended but I see your point. In fact I was going to allow the Borg assaulting systems without having to declare war for this build, but other stuff got in the way and I ended up not making this change. The reason for the difference between empires and minors was that the Borg are not really interested in minor civs - unless hey have advaced tech that is - so there´s no reason to be at war with them.
Notice that a system cannot be assimilated if it has fleets in orbit, or orbital batteries, or a station. Or a garrison that is too strong. So just build a couple OBs and the Borg will have to assault before assimilation is possible.
The Dominion sounds are o.k., but they are on the quiet side. I will definitely have to re-do them all before the next update. I'll look into getting all the volumes at a similar level, but tht might take some doing..
Yep, they are. We can release a soundfx update whenever they´re ready if you wish.
I will check the ones you sent me tomorrow.
The terraforming is working, but it doesn't show progress (remains at 0%) and I thought it wasn't working for the first 3-4 turns. It then turns one random planet green, the rest remain red, but you get the benefits of all the planets in the system (goes up to max pop immediately). Though I'm not sure if you get any food or energy bonuses on the planets that are still red. I'll have to check that.
Will have to check, but it was working for me. Maybe the planet you terraformed only took 1 turn to terraform, and the task force immediately started on the next, hence the 0%.
Terraforming is not complete yet, for now it only stalls the human players. I´ll code the effects at some point, but first I´ll have to teach the AI how to use it, or it will break the AI.
This is awesome work though, Iceman. Really cool stuff.
Well, when talented people like you and others help, the game gets better!

If we can get more themes, and the Game Context Menus for the rest of the civs, the game will start looking like it´s half finished :wink:

---

BTW, Vladimir just reported to me that research is borked. Not sure if it´s anomalies, or the empire wide research bonus, or anything else, but research is through the roof under some circumstances.
Will have to check in detail.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

It then turns one random planet green, the rest remain red, but you get the benefits of all the planets in the system (goes up to max pop immediately).
Though I'm not sure if you get any food or energy bonuses on the planets that are still red. I'll have to check that.
Just as an observation, it´s not a random planet, it´s the "best" planet in the system (that is not yet terraformed). I'll eventually implement manual selection for the human player.
I like the food and energy bonuses idea, will look into it.

---

Re anomalies and research, it seems that the turn you start surveying an anomaly, it works as it should, but the following turns the research from anomalies is doubled... will have to check why.
Will probably disable the empire wide bonus from research gained from surveying anomalies, since science ships already have different ScienceAbility values for each empire (the general bonus is kind of a duplication), and field specific bonuses might be OP?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

As mentioned previously, even though terraforming is available as a fleet order, it is not yet doing anything in the game. The human player (and only human players) has to terraform at least one planet in the system in order to colonize it. Again, terraforming does not have any effect yet.
The order is available so that people can give feedback on terraforming durations - it depends on planet size and type. If you find some combination to be too long/short to terraform, please let me know so that I can tweak the formula.

The Economic overview mode is not yet working correctly. For now it needs ending the turn to switch modes, which makes it of little use. It shows current population on the upper left (red means there's unallocated labor) and assigned/total trade routes on the upper right.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Fixed a couple of issues that Vladimir reported:
- the DoPersonnel crash when a civ is eliminated from play
- the shipyard build queue (the queue proper, not the building slots) not being cleared when the colony is subjugated

Also, following a conversation about science ships and stations, I made science ships not be able to Survey an anomaly if there's a science station in the sector already. This code needs to be improved, namely restrict this to science stations that you own, and implementing a Regard penalty if the sector is owned by another civ with which you are not affiliated or don't have an Open Borders treaty.

And "fixed" something that I forgot to remove before compiling and uploading, the bypass (for testing purposes) on the Intercept order... duh! :roll: (right now the Intercept order is always successful, regardless of the displayed %).

The terraforming is working, but it doesn't show progress (remains at 0%)
I've experienced this too, but couldn't find a reason yet...
SeaBee-T
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by SeaBee-T »

Happy New Year 2019 to you, Iceman! Thanks for keeping this up!
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

Question regarding terraforming: Shouldn't Minshara class planets not need terraforming?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey SeaBee-T ! Thanks, HNY to you too! Hope you're enjoying Supremacy - while it is still in development, that is... but one day, it'll be ready. :up:

Hey Val, glad to see you back! It's been some time! I hope you have new ideas to use your amazing talent on :wink:
As to your question, yep, I guess. I considered that at the time. The modifier for M-class planets is zero, but by default it takes one turn for the terraforming *order* to complete, even though it technicaly takes zero points to achieve... BotF had different atmospheres, but Supremacy doesn't...
Do you think I should make all M-class planets terraformed by default?
What about the number of turns it takes for the other types, are they confortable?

I made some more progress today, lots of smallish stuff, will do some testing and post about it in a while. Will probably upload the code to BitBucket so people can test, and if everything is ok, I might re-release - I think the neutral stations issue (and potential hang) has been fixed.
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

Well, the idea behind terraforming is that the environment needs to be changed to support life on the planet. An M-Class planet would only need building modules put in place to start colonizing the planet. I can see your point of it taking one turn for this to occur.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

- fixed the neutral stations targeting bug
- the Borg don't need to DoW to assault systems
- shipyards and stations of affiliated civs are displayed in the starmap even if not in scan range
- lowered research output of anomalies
- your science ships cannot survey an anomaly if you have a science station in the sector
- when surveying an anomaly in another civ's territory, you get a Regard penalty if they're not affiliated with you or you don't have an active open borders treaty
- added description and hint to green stars and demon planets, related to the Supermacy victory condition
- fleets en route due to retreating from battle cannot change their path

Uploaded to BitBucket, just unzip to the game's main folder; some texts will be missing though, so I'll attach the file here - suggestions on how to improve them are welcome.
Attachments
en.txt
(66.65 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Lowered the level of the (rest of the) Federation soundfx, and uploaded them plus some of the Borg soundfx that the6the improved to BitBucket.
Feedback would be appreciated.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:26 pm - fixed the neutral stations targeting bug
Improved this a bit more. If there's a station, and ships of the same owner, the ships are targeted first.
Note to self: apply this only to combat ships (non-combat ships targeted last).

- when surveying an anomaly in another civ's territory, you get a Regard penalty if they're not affiliated with you or you don't have an active open borders treaty
This wasn´t actually working... now it is. Trying to "milk" anomalies in foreign or contested territory will eventually get you into trouble.

- fleets en route due to retreating from battle cannot change their path
I'm considering not allowing changing path for all fleets that are en route (ducks :mrgreen: ) so that you should plan your paths and waypoints more or less carefully. What does everyone think?
Or maybe make it an option in the game options panel?

Also, lowered the levels of the Cardassian soundfx.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

The levels of the soundfx for all the remaining civs have been lowered, and I've uploaded them all to BitBucket.

Changed the way that the industry bonus to shipbuilding is calculated, so that it makes more sense. It might need to be tweaked.

Made The Great Link (and other Dominion buildings) buildable in Rogue planets instead of the Homesystem, so that you can have more than one TGL (Rogues are pretty rare, and I've made them Medium or larger size only).

I've been trying to fix a couple of issues with no success yet:
- the Dominion considers Rogue planets to be Hostile (for the Jem´Hadar), which now that they use the Founders to colonize Rogue planets, makes the system panel not show the correct growth rate and max pop (for the Founders instead of the Jem'Hadar)...
- fleets that retreat from a battle in an owned system will return to that system; might not be the best idea...

Return to “Supremacy”