Picard is back in a new Trek series!!!

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Blake00
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Picard is back in a new Trek series!!!

Post by Blake00 »

Last edited by Blake00 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Blake's Sanctum - Star Trek Games: fan page containing pics, vids, info, walkthroughs, patches, & maps!
Martok
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Re: Picard is back in a new Trek series!!!

Post by Martok »

Saw that. Best news I've heard all year!! :D
"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal
Gul_Darheel
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Gul_Darheel »

Oh YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
captaindusk
Commander
Commander

Post by captaindusk »

Stewart:

"He may not, and I stress may not, be a captain anymore. He may not be the Jean-Luc that you recognize and know so well. It may be a very different individual. Someone who has been changed by his experiences. Twenty years will have past, which is more or less exactly the time between the very last movie – Nemesis – and today."

"It will be, I promise you, I guarantee it, something very, very different. It will come to you with the same passion, and determination and love of the material and love of our followers and our fans, exactly as we had it before."

As enthusiastic and happy as I was when I initially read about his return, this statements had me a little bit worried. I hope they don't bend his character beyond recognition. Change is important and necessary after 20 years but somehow I am a little bit afraid that they screw up Picard's legacy.

On the other hand his return can well be viewed as a sensation and I doubt that he would have agreed to some poor "not-picard-worthy" plot. Or at least ideas. AFAIK there aren't any scripts yet. Looking forward to it. And I hope he won't be the only familiar face we will get to see. So many possibilities. Make it so! :smile: :up:
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Now that's some surprising and absolutely unsuspected news! Thanks for sharing!

What a nice and personal speech of Sir Patrick. Gotta love this man :mrgreen:

CD, I feel you. And to an extent I share your concerns. We have these characters in our heads and to probably see them (perhaps fundamentally) changed is a tad frightening. TNG means so much to us after all.
Usually, I'm sceptical when an actor gets involved in big decisions of a show. There's a big chance of failure as most of these people just aren't writers and creators and somewhat lack vision.

He has the chance to do something new. And if anyone can pull it off I'm sure it's Sir Patrick.

The future looks pretty grim for quite some time now. And I liked the anecdote of the letter he got. It's unimaginable to be in Sir Patrick's position and getting all these letters from people. There's not much hope and so much brutality, opportunism, narcissm, degeneration and lack of empathy. If any show has a slight chance of putting a little dent into that then it's gonna be Star Trek!

If I remember correctly, then Roddenberry's TNG wanted to show a human race that had overcome most of its social problems: hunger, wars, money. It mostly showed how we could be. Things were a lot different in the Eighties and in my opinion we truly need to focus on how to become better. As we all know, there lie difficult obstacles ahead. Anyway, a better humanity is not some goal in football that can be achieved. It's an ongoing daily struggle for all of us.

But yeah, enough of the semi-philosophical blabber.

I liked as he said that he watched TNG and seen some episodes he never seen before. I heard a couple of actors across different shows that said that they rarely watch their own shows. I guess, as actors they have to draw the line somewhere. Albeit workload and so on are surely additional factors to already a lot of different factors which come into play.
However, the fact that he watches his own show is not just nice to know. I think it's a big point. He seems deeply involved.

If you want to see change, you have to be change. And not just talk about it.

Sir Patrick has inspired and I'm happy to see that he's going to inspire us even further. And God knows that many of us need a little inspiration nowadays.
chestermike
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by chestermike »

I started a thread on the 5 new TV shows and mentioned this, didn't think anyone was interested lol.

Brilliant news, Patrick Stewart is one of my favourite actors of all time along with William Shatner (just for being kirk), Robert Carlisle, Scott Bakula and Edward Norton. And to have Picard back is amazing, especially since its something new AND Patrick Stewart seems so enthusiastic about it. The man can do little wrong in my eyes so if he is excited that will do for me for now.

Anyone for a show based loosely on the future events in the final episode of TNG???
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

i hope this will be good, but it is being made by the same people making STD.
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

Picard and Sisko are by far my favorite starfleet captains. Picaard was also a role model for me when I was younger. I hope we'll get to see a well written series for the very old, but very talented actor Patrick Stewart. Also I hope there will be a lot of guests like Kira (love the character), Worf, Riker, Beverly, Ezri, Deanna, Quark, Tom Paris and so on BUT PLEASE NOT Wesley.
eber3 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:38 am i hope this will be good, but it is being made by the same people making STD.
Yes. They are terrible and therefore they should hire some experienced writers from TNG/DS9.
KrazeeXXL
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by KrazeeXXL »

Here's an interesting video I just stumbled upon. I can't tell if everything said there is the truth. So, better take it with a grain of salt. A lot of what's being said however makes sense.

At the moment, I'm just thinking: what a giant mess. Not sure how they'll be able to clean that up. Esp. when it comes to respecting canon. Just seems impossible.

The demand is definitely there. And personally, I want some real meat on the table when it comes to Star Trek. Washed-down action doesn't cut it in the long term. Heck, not even in the short-term. I can count the times I watched the new movies/series on one hand. They're like some games with poor re-play value.

Problematic is probably also that anyone is trying to establish their own streaming services. Reminds me of the gaming industry with all the new distribution services. Sure, competition is a good thing. But it definitely has its downsides. We had this discussion before and getting another streaming service for another 10+€ a month is a no-go for a lot of us. It adds up after all and f.e. I'm already paying 200€ a year just for Netflix and Prime.

I hope that some services will go extinct in the foreseeable future. But that probably won't happen anytime soon. They're all fighting really hard for their piece of the cake.

Well again, ST has to be re-invented another time. At this point it seems to be trial and error. Perhaps they'll find "the magic formula" by finally trying to understand what our beloved shows truly were about.

One can only hope. Would I count on it?

As an optimist, I have to ;)

Picard coming back is some great news. All my hope now lies in the hands of Sir Patrick Stewart.

Make it so!
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

Anyone watched the fan series (Star Trek Continues, Starship exeter, Starship Valiant) around here? They are great and complementary shows of star trek, I think the funniest moment in them is the sound when the doors open : Shhmuckk! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

No, seriously I hope it's not one of these today's alltogether action based series (the one with Picard). I think he is best when doing drama, not so much an action type, therefore they could slow down the rampaging cameras and explosions on every corner a little on this one. I mean, today's scifi has gone way too much to the point in which they literally blow up everything in order to have a story in a movie or a serie. (Isn't terrorism enough?). If you have epilepsy, you might get a seizure watching nowadays tv. I'd like to see movies and series which have some of the speed of today, but maintain the peacefulness of the past in them. Yea, I know, I should not watch Battlestar Galactica :wink: when writing about Star Trek, BG (the new series) has alltogether too much foul play in their stories, keeps you on the edge on almost every episode. But... today's ST movies have very good villains in every movie, they are not usually too much on the bad side, they do have a history everyone can relate on compared to the cylons of BG, wanting only bad things in every episode.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

Well, I have to type about Battlestar Galactica. I think the new incarnation of BG concentrates a little too much on the downside of humanity, nuclear apocalypse in start, in every two episodes someone beats up his/her best friend, the democracy does not work properly, decisions made while the actual president is away suck almost every time. The stories are good on the other hand (religious magic, ancient planets with temples and such). Not like in star trek where is peace and whe have ideal democracy, where the president's and parliaments decisions are agreed always by the general public (the reality I'd like more to live in).
After all and whatever, I think BotF is missing Battlestar Galactica mod :wink: . It think the only thing star trek is missing, is a continuing story through all episodes, unlike in BG or Babylon 5, in which it is the greatest asset of all.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

In Battlestar Galactica the biggest problems are within simple decision made during filming, camera must move in a too realistic way, just like someone is beating your head up and down while you are watching the series (can be very disorienting, like you are having a hang-over). Another dilemma is the story, it has some, maybe multiple ups, but the way it ends, is a sad story after all, you begin with a thriving civilization jubilating the retirement of Galactica and the story ends in giving up everything.
I see it is quite different than star trek, in which you have hope with a big H.
I hope this Picard series is not about sadness and too much action with exaggerated realism, but a speedy drama instead.
Something like they did in movies Generations-Nemesis, but with new stories and of course, better effects and, like in Alien : Covenant, or like in Steven Spielberg's movies/series, beautiful filming, perhaps even artistic. Patrick Stewart is a knight after all.
Impress the Empress.
Axis
Commander
Commander

Post by Axis »

In this new series Picard is most likely an admiral (I have seen some of the youtube videos pointing to that), maybe Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher of TNG), could be a commander on a starship (like Riker), maybe even a captain, or become promoted to this position in these stories.
Impress the Empress.
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

I never liked Wesley and never will. Kurtzman showed that he don't know what good Star Trek is and how to make good Star Trek. Patrick Stewart can't make a good Star Trek series with bad writers and directors. I will give the new Picard series a chance, but I expect a bad scifi series with a good, but very old, actor.

I would be very pleased to watch DS9 in HD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4groKy6xPj8
Ira Steven Behr pushes for more DS9 in HD

Return to “General Chat”