ECML - Turn 366: Will Cardassia Survive?

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

ECML - Turn 366: Will Cardassia Survive?

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

Playing ECML now. It's turn 366, and it's been a long, brutal battle. I was facing a war on three fronts with the Federation, Romulans and the Klingons. The Romulans were to my South and had over 100 ships in their fleet. I finally conquered the Romulus system which took the Romulans out of action. However the Klingons conquered Cardassia and Ktaira, a major blow to my empire.

I took every ship I had and reclaimed both Cardassia and Ktaria despite overwhelming odds and secured an affiliation treaty with the Feds and the Romulans. So, now I'm facing the Klingon Empire with the Feds but the Klingons have 244 ships in their fleet compared to my 25. I am not using any cheats. I'm about to take over Mintaka, but there's still a tough battle ahead. Going to go for Qo'nos to payback the Klingons for trashing my homeworld.

Will Cardassia survive? Just a bit of nostalgia celebrating 20 years of Birth of the Federation. You've faced countless battles, but the war must continue.

Cardassia, shaken not stirred:

The Cardassian people have always been willing to fight. They've shown that time and time again.
Car
Car
Cardassia.JPG (182.28 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
Taking over the Mintaka system. These primitive people will provide an excellent labor force for the Union.
Mintaka.JPG
Mintaka.JPG (171.71 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
Klingon Empire, 244 ships. Once they were warriors until they found peace. Now, they've returned to the old ways. No one will be safe.
Klingons.JPG
Klingons.JPG (167.89 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: ECML - Turn 366: Will Cardassia Survive?

Post by thunderchero »

why is your map area so small? It should fill the area better, what resolutions did you install?

If you only have 25 ships it will take a lot of small battles, that is if they do not throw all of their ships at you at once. and the latter is more likely.

good luck
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

I don't know. That was the next question I was going to ask in support. As you know, I am using MPR++ 0.2.6. The dxwnd folders are there, but I am not sure it's being used. The game is being run in windows mode.

I can only stretch the window to a certain point, then it will stretch beyond (under) my taskbar, as in it will continue to stretch vertically but not horizontally. If I double click the window to go into fullscreen, the game is too wide and it distorts the images.

I originally had the game installed on Windows 7 laptop which seemed to work better for the game, but the hard drive crashed. When I installed to Windows 10 with MPR++, the resolution wasn't the same.

This is what it ends up like in windowed mode on my desktop.

Full desktop view:
BOTF_Windowed.JPG
BOTF_Windowed.JPG (217.5 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
Last edited by JeanLucPicard1 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

The Klingon AI has a habit of throwing ships at me. I think they have the population maintenance to do it, so they just build gobs of ships. I think they have the population maintenance to do it. If the Klingons are seeded far from you, they can be a real threat if left alone.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

a few questions, please answer all questions.

what is your desktop resolution? it looks like image above was re-sized?
what resolution do you want? 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1366 x 768 or 1920 x 1080
did you want to use ECM 4.0?
did you want full screen or windowed?
do you want large maps?
do you want to continue using MPR++?
are you using the latest version of the All in One?
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

what is your desktop resolution? it looks like image above was re-sized? 1600x900. Game window was resized as far as I wanted it to go vertically without going over the taskbar.

what resolution do you want? 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1366 x 768 or 1920 x 1080 1920x1080 or whatever is best for my Laptop

did you want to use ECM 4.0? Hmmm, not sure. I have ECML large installed right now with 3.0 so I am using large galaxies. Regular ECM maps seem too small.

did you want full screen or windowed? Full screen if the image won't stretch.

do you want large maps? Yep

do you want to continue using MPR++? Yep, it has better models i.e. K'Tinga except for the Constitution Refit. I liked the one with the red engines from UDM III.

are you using the latest version of the All in One? I think I installed Vanilla 1.02, then ECML from individual installers. I believe there was an error loading the game when I tried All in One.
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

From the looks of it, 1920x1080 wouldn't work since I've got a 1600x900 laptop screen. Perhaps 1366x768 would be better? If there's a problem with ECML, how come it supports UDML?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

install issue of All in one we should be able to resolve. (sounds like it was a corrupt download)

sounds like best resolution for your laptop would be 1366 x 768 it should not stretch as long as your display supports 1366 x 768 and it should.

large map should be no problem as long as you did not want normal map or was willing to swap trek.exe when playing normal maps

ECM 4.0 main change was intro of new monster "planet killer" if you play with "borg on" but also has a few other patches

MPR++ requires a patch (separate installer) for ECM 4.0 for new planet killer model

so Full screen ECM 4.0 large map with MPR++ should be doable.

send me a PM if you want me to walk you though step by step.

SCT removed ECML due to turn processing time (this effects all mods with larger maps)
JeanLucPicard1
Commander
Commander

Post by JeanLucPicard1 »

I sent a PM but I am not sure it went through. In the meantime, I downloaded a copy of the All in One installer and made a backup of my current ECML files including trek.exe., stbof.res, the base_phaser.png you uploaded, and Hobmappings.xml which I edited so I could use ships like the Galaxy-X.
ObsidianOrdersPizza
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by ObsidianOrdersPizza »

This thread addresses the small galaxy grid problem
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3653

Return to “General Chat”