20181019 crash

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Snapper9
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

20181019 crash

Post by Snapper9 »

1) You're playing the latest build, 20181019? - Yes.
2) You managed to start the game, and it crashed during gameplay? - Yes.
3a) The Borg were enabled or disabled in the Settings screen? - Enabled.
3b) Special Events were on or off in the Options panel when you started the game? - Turned on.
4) Was there any empire that had already been eliminated? - No, the game crashed in one of the early rounds (maybe around turn 20).

Log file: https://pastebin.com/ff6xKjwD
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Re: 20181019 crash

Post by Iceman »

Hey Snapper9
Thanks for the report!
I thought that I had that fixed, but alas it seems it is still around...
Did you get by any chance a random event that turn? Religious Holiday, or earthquake, or something like that?
Arpheus
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Arpheus »

Hey there, sadly I have encountered some crashes in this build, too.

1) You're playing the latest build, 20181019? - Yes.
2) You managed to start the game, and it crashed during gameplay? - Yes.
3a) The Borg were enabled or disabled in the Settings screen? - Disabled
3b) Special Events were on or off in the Options panel when you started the game? - Turned on.
4) Was there any empire that had already been eliminated? - Game crash at turn 20 or 40 (roundabout)

The first one is triggered when I try to terraform a planet (Playing as the Cardassians)
► Show Spoiler
The second one was simply by ending the turn after buying a building on my third colony.
► Show Spoiler
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hi Arpheus, welcome to the forums!

The 1st crash is a known issue, I mentioned it on the "release notes" here:
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3068&start=405

The crash has been fixed for the next release, which should be soon.
(I'm assuming that it was an uncolonized system that you were terraforming?)

BTW, the next release should have terraforming a bit more developed, right now its only use is to improve relations with other civs (by terraforming their systems).

The 2nd crash, if I understand the log correctly (it's in german), it's a "Index must be within the bounds of the List. " exception. It's a known issue, but I can't tell exactly what triggers it.

Can you tell me please if it was an orbital battery or a regular building?
A few days ago I started changing OBs back to what they were before, with 50 energy cost, to try to reduce their numbers in the game (they have a credits maintenance cost too). I'm not sure if this exception has to do with reaching the max number of objects in a colony, and eventually in the galaxy, so reducing the number of OBs was an attempt to address this.
Also, could you tell me which game turn it was when the game crashed? And how many colonies you had, and if that particular colony had many "objects" (buildings, batteries, facilities), etc. The more information you can provide, the better.

Thanks!

edit: you wouldn't happen to have a savegame right before the crash (or the autosave), would you? That'd be great, it might help me pin down the issue.
Snapper9
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Snapper9 »

Seems like I was able to load the autosave and to continue the game without any further exception. It may be the error I encountered is not reproducable.

To answer your question: there was no random event.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

So that means you don't have the autosave anymore? :( I was really curious to see what might have caused the exception...

I'm trying a new fix for this in the next release.
Arpheus
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Arpheus »

Sorry, I do not have the autosave anymore... But it was on turn 15-20 I think. It was my second attempt to start the game (this time as the Romulans). I had my second Colony near my home system and tried to build some Organic Farms (or this way they are called) and was "buying" them with credits. After doing so and ending the round, the Error happened.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:(
So, it was early in the game. That's helpful info.
By Organic Farms you mean the Production Facility that generates Food, Organics Plant? (The Romulan "farms")
Arpheus
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Arpheus »

Yeah, exactly this type of building to produce food :-)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Cool, makes sense, there's only an index involved in Production Facilities and Orbital Batteries in a colony.
Will try to check why rush-buying these is (sometimes) causing the crash when spawning.
Thanks!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

@Arpheus
Really weird... for some reason it appears that some times (can't tell if it only happens when rush-buying) the game tries to spawn Orbital Batteries or Production Facilities as Buildings (can't tell if it only happens for upgrades), causing the crash (collection vs object).

In your case, were you upgrading the Organics Plants to a higher tech level or just building another one of the same tech level?

I tried to force the crash in every way I could think of, but no such luck.
Having a savegame would probably help a lot in pinning this down.
Arpheus
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Arpheus »

I wanted to build a new Organics Plant - unluckily I do not have a savegame of this, sorry!
I was able to reload and do the same again - and no Error....
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Well, gave it some thought last night since none of this was making any sense (the object vs list thing I mean), and the crash might not have been related to your civ, but to an AI civ.

Will try to look into that when I have the time. Right now I'm finishing up terraforming and improving combat (both are looking pretty good).

Thanks for your help!
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I've taken steps to locate the exact source of the crash, but the damn game just doesn't crash on me... :neutral:
Will keep trying.
Snapper9
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Snapper9 »

It's a bit of a hazzle, I guess. Did you advance yet finding the reason for the crash?

Return to “Supremacy”