Problems with 64-bit Windows 10

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by Dainara »

Iceman wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:40 am Hi Dainara, welcome to the forums!
Glad you like the game. As for your issue, does this happen the whole game, or just late game? And how much RAM do you have on your rig?
It happens from the very start. I have 16GB of RAM, and the game only consumes around 700MB of it as far as I played. It never comes anywhere near to bottlenecking the CPU or GPU, either. Everything else on the system is smooth as normal.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Did you try to turn off the gfx Settings like animated stars, antialiasing, etc? My guess is it won't help much in this case.

I think this may have to do with XNA and Win10, the 3D ship models in the Shipyard screen for example rotate a lot slower in Win10 than in Win7.
One other thing you can try is to rename the \Resources\Textures folder so that the game won't load the star textures (for the star system panel), which I believe to be the (XNA) problem. The stars won't be displayed in the star system panel, but if it helps with the problem and it doesn't bother you, it's a way around the issue.
The special "stars" like nebulae and such shouldn't have this issue, as they're static images, not XNA rendered.

If you could provide feedback on this, it'd be great. Thanks.
Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dainara »

Thanks for the continued help. However, renaming the textures folder results in the game not starting because it can't find the xnb files.

I tried the other things, and also tried setting the executables to Win7 compatibility, but there was no improvement.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Are you sure about renaming the folder? I tested it before posting the above, and the game ran just fine.
Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dainara »

It did that when I loaded an existing game, but having started a new one, the input lag seems to be gone! :up:

However, now when I open one of the other menus (research, diplomacy, etc.) it crashes with the following log file. It does this even when I change the resources folder back to how it originally was, yet it wasn't crashing out like that before that I can recall...

Renaming the music folder seems to be a workaround.
Attachments
Error.txt
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yeah, Win10 sucks... Supremacy just doesn't like it.
viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3613
Maybe we should have another option in Settings to not use the "3D" stars and use static images instead.

Hmm, never seen that one before...
Music works fine on my end.
Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dainara »

Okay so I got to turn 98. It crashed once complaining that it couldn't find "Resources\Textures\Red1" when I clicked a ship icon on the galaxy map, but it didn't crash after reloading and doing the same thing. But now at turn 98 even trying to load the autosave crashes the game just before going to the galaxy map due to not finding "Resources\Textures\White1".

I've attached the error log and save game file to see if you can reproduce it on your end with a renamed Textures folder. We've got this almost working, hopefully we can get it 100%. :grin:
Attachments
Error.txt
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Crash.zip
(345.4 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Did you start this game with the Textures folder not-renamed, and renamed it after? If so, now you need those textures to continue playing.
Did you try starting a new game with the folder already renamed?
Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dainara »

This game was started with the folder renamed. In order to load the game, I had to restore the folder name, select an empty tile with no star, save the game, rename the folder again and then reload. I just noticed also that with a non-renamed folder, the save game button and "send" button in the diplomacy screen are always grayed out.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

That's odd. I have absolutely no problems with this. Maybe if you try to re-install?
As for the buttons, check the Win10 issues thread. It's not related to the Textures folder, but to Win10.
mastericeman
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by mastericeman »

Dainara,

Do you have the appropriate versions of the prerequisite libraries? It sounds like the graphics aren't being rendered by the hardware, but are running in software emulation mode. That's just a wild speculation, but it miht be worth double checking the versions, or even the graphics card drivers.
Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dainara »

Iceman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:31 pm That's odd. I have absolutely no problems with this. Maybe if you try to re-install?
As for the buttons, check the Win10 issues thread. It's not related to the Textures folder, but to Win10.
Same thing on a reinstall, but maybe a new game is required too.

mastericeman wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:02 pm Dainara,

Do you have the appropriate versions of the prerequisite libraries? It sounds like the graphics aren't being rendered by the hardware, but are running in software emulation mode. That's just a wild speculation, but it miht be worth double checking the versions, or even the graphics card drivers.
Graphics drivers are up to date. .NET 4.8 comes as standard on my version of Windows 10, I think 3.5SP1 is installed but I'll have to check later. XNA 3.1 is installed. Am I missing anything?
Danijel
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Danijel »

@Dainara,

Yo!
can you tell me what version of win10 you have?
and ,is there a difference when you right click the exe and run it as administrator?(no other compatibility is needed, leave those as default)

This issue occurs on win10 after i think v1803 or something, but i never got to test if they fixed it back, whatever it was, or is there a way to fix it. Ill install win10 within next few days for more testing, no time atm.
Dainara
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Post by Dainara »

That might be the problem then, I have v1903 of Windows 10. Sadly running as administrator seems to make no difference to any of my issues. I'd be very interested in what changed between Windows versions to cause this.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I cant even get an update to not crash on first startup so still running 1803 myself. (goddamnit it I NEED MY DARKMODE in file explorer, but you cant get that without the major windows update)

Return to “Supremacy”