Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

geordie
Captain
Captain

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by geordie »

After the last patch the game starts with all races except Borg - the error is immediately after the game loading.
Screen (7).jpg
Screen (7).jpg (232.42 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
Error Borg.zip
(6.38 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

My comment about ideal planets followed the fact that recently I played Cards and their ideal planet was also terran, instead of dessert one, which had been mentionned in the 2010 manual. The dessert planets have marginal class for Cardassians now.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I found a strange situation in a new game.
After completing a colony ship build I found another one, an Ledosian frigate. After separating them the game crashed. But I was able to scrap it, not sure if I got any monye for it.
Screen (8).jpg
Screen (8).jpg (358.65 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

After the last patch the game starts with all races except Borg - the error is immediately after the game loading.
Argh... Working on the Intel screen for all the civs, forgot that we don't have a background image for the Borg yet...
I'll upload something to BB that I've put together just now (the file is too large to attach here) - it took me all of 5 minutes, so don't expect something dazzling :wink:
The image should be copied here:
\Resources\UI\Borg\Shared\

I should probably replace the patch, as I've already made some more changes to battle morale - morale from victories should be mostly working, added basic SitReps for victory and defeat, tweaked the thresholds and the formula.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

If the immunology centre could increase the max population by 10 (for example), it would not become useless in more advanced game phase.
I haven't completely discarded making building colony ships cost population, so they may still come to be useful throughout the game :wink:

My comment about ideal planets followed the fact that recently I played Cards and their ideal planet was also terran, instead of dessert one, which had been mentionned in the 2010 manual. The dessert planets have marginal class for Cardassians now.
Yeah, but Desert for Cardassia never really made any sense. It's not a Desert planet. Also, it made the habitability of the other planet types weird IIRC.
Desert planets should be something more like Dune/Arrakis.

I found a strange situation in a new game.
After completing a colony ship build I found another one, an Ledosian frigate. After separating them the game crashed. But I was able to scrap it, not sure if I got any monye for it.
I don't understand what you are describing. What do you mean you "found" the frigate?
I see it is in the same fleet as the colony ship, but its border is white, meaning it is independent? The Ledosians are not members of the Union?
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I haven't even met Ledosians. Definitely their planet isn't in a proximity of 10 sectors of Cardassia.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iscaran also reported a similar issue. What's new about your report is that the frigate was spawned into one of your fleets... that's odd.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

So the immunology centre - as its name suggests - at least could provide some additional protection against plagues... for example 50% less casualties
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Hi Iceman,
The slow research is realy slow now in the huge galaxy. :grin:
I suppose that the odds of special events could be somehow in relation to the research speed. I colonized 9 additional planets and got one supernova and two asteroid bombardment. It would be OK for 'difficult' game parameter :grin:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:26 pm So the immunology centre - as its name suggests - at least could provide some additional protection against plagues... for example 50% less casualties
The Health Centre does :wink: (any +%PopulationHealth building or ship, actually).

I have long thought of eliminating the Immunology Centre because, as you mentioned, it has a limited (in time) use. The effect (+GrowthRate) is nice for low GR colonies in their initial steps, but once they're close to max pop, it's just not that useful.

I've thought of using +%PopulationHealth (Health Centre and upgrades) for growth rate bonuses, since these also only have topical uses (casualties from Plagues and other random events, and bombardments/invasions, and at some point sabotage), so instead of having 2 buildings with occasional use (which is borderline bad design) we'd have only 1 with less occasional use. Even having 2 buildings with a similar name (or that convey a similar function) is kind of weird.
Or use excess food production, something like what was supposed to happen in BotF.

Any thoughts on this?

The slow research is realy slow now in the huge galaxy.
Ok, and are you saying this as a good thing? :wink: I mean, do you like the pace as it is?

I'll ask the million dollar question again, since I didn't get any answer before:

Should we make the current Slow be the default Normal? Or keep it as it is now?

I really would like some feedback on a non-Huge game on Normal, so I can put this issue to rest and concentrate on other stuff.

I suppose that the odds of special events could be somehow in relation to the research speed. I colonized 9 additional planets and got one supernova and two asteroid bombardment. It would be OK for 'difficult' game parameter
:shock: Ouch, nasty, the RNG gods are not with you...
I can make them rarer, and start later in the game. Though this should be a fluke rather than the norm.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

It's for me too early to decide about the low research pace, but the game looks to last far longer, so still there would be nothing to research in the second part of the game. I played about 170 turns and I am discovering level 5 now. With normal pace the game is more dinamic, so we face again the more difficult solution to have at least 25 research levels... :grin:
I will try a smaller galaxy as a next game.

The immunology centre: so I would propose to keep it, but with a reduced purpose - to provide the pop growth but only for systems with the growth below 1% and rounding it up exactly to 1%. Without it some systems with a couple of planets and 0% growth would be useless.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

I guess my point is (and this is for everybody that wants to chime in), if we make the current Slow into the default Normal:

will the new Slow (half as fast as the current one) still be "attractive"?

will the new Normal be "confortable" for everyone?

will the new Fast (current Normal) be too slow?

I'd say that Slow is more suited for Huge galaxies, and Fast for (Small) MP games, so that's the perspective I'm trying to take here.

The immunology centre: so I would propose to keep it, but with a reduced purpose - to provide the pop growth but only for systems with the growth below 1% and rounding it up exactly to 1%. Without it some systems with a couple of planets and 0% growth would be useless.
Yep, something like that was my initial goal with the IC, but that restriction (GR < 1%) doesn't currently exist, and creating it just for this situation is not a very good option. And it would not be easy for the player to understand it. I could hardcode it ofc, but...

What I had imagined was a Cloning Facility, with a somewhat high Energy or Credits upkeep, or even a Morale penalty - that would make you think twice about using it. Ideally it would have a +1 Population bonus (which would have to be created) instead of the +GR one, so that it wouldn't actually be more useful for high GR colonies (which is what the IC currently does). I don't like much the fact that the IC makes high GR colonies grow even faster.

BTW, I've upped the minimum turn for scripted events to trigger. Doubled actually, which goes well with the slower pace of the game. Also increased career duration of personnel.

I've fixed a few things in multi-sided combats, especially important in MP, which need be tested. Should upload soon.
Valcoren
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Valcoren »

Slow for huge galaxy settings I 100% agree with. the idea is a huge galaxy sitting is to take your time and have a long-lasting game
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Hey Val
Glad to see you're still around.

I guess the lack of a concrete answer to the question is an indication to keeping things as they are now.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch uploaded to BB.

Return to “Supremacy”