Changing starting colony amount?

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Changing starting colony amount?

Post by Firefly »

Edit: after i posted this i was directed to a simular question, as it seems there is no UM5 in normal resolution. :(

Which leads to alternate questions:
Other questions: UM5 says borg ship requires tech 77777. Does this mean Borg ships only appear once a player reached this tech level?
Is it possible to use the editor to reduce amount of starting systems? UE?
Is it possible to copy the no-upgrade patch (or others patches) of UM5 to other mods? like copying it to Ultimate Dominion Mod and have the no-upgrade function? QD?

Most important of those: how to change amount of starting system in a certan age in a mod? hex editor? where and how?

thank you. :smile:
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Re: Changing starting colony amount?

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:25 pm Other questions: UM5 says borg ship requires tech 77777. Does this mean Borg ships only appear once a player reached this tech level?
borg generation is dependent on timer chance to spawn borg and ods depend on tech level and difficulty.
Firefly wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:25 pm Is it possible to use the editor to reduce amount of starting systems? UE?
Is it possible to copy the no-upgrade patch (or others patches) of UM5 to other mods? like copying it to Ultimate Dominion Mod and have the no-upgrade function? QD?

Most important of those: how to change amount of starting system in a certan age in a mod? hex editor? where and how?
both are major hex code changes and not able to be done with UE
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

ok, thanks for your quick reply. That gives me the clearity that i need another solution for that issue.

I just realized i can use: DxWnd Fullscreen to change resolution of Ultimate Mod 5 to 800x600.

I then tested for Combat crashes... it crashed in battle 5 instead of battle 2.

Do you think Ultimate Mod 5 using DxWndFullscreen to change resolution to 800x600 is equally stable as using another mods non-large Resolution?
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

ok, thanks for your quick reply. That gives me the clearity that i need another solution for that issue.

I just realized i can use: DxWnd Fullscreen to change resolution of Ultimate Mod 5 to 800x600.

I then tested for Combat crashes... it crashed in battle 5 instead of battle 2.

Do you think Ultimate Mod 5 using DxWndFullscreen to change resolution to 800x600 is equally stable as using another mods non-large Resolution?

Or in other words, which mod do you recommand for stability?
non-Large Uncivil Mod?
non-Large Ferengi Dominon Alliance Mod?
or
Ultimate Mod 5 changed to 800x600 using DxWnd?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:39 am I just realized i can use: DxWnd Fullscreen to change resolution of Ultimate Mod 5 to 800x600.

Or in other words, which mod do you recommand for stability?
non-Large Uncivil Mod?
non-Large Ferengi Dominon Alliance Mod?
or
Ultimate Mod 5 changed to 800x600 using DxWnd?
using DxWnd to change Resolution will have no effect on stability.

also using increased resolution versions has no effect on stability

note; "large" version refers to map size not resolution (these version have slower turn processing time later in game)
Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:39 am I then tested for Combat crashes... it crashed in battle 5 instead of battle 2.
combat crashes are rare, I would need to test your saved game. you can attach saved game (zip before uploading) in next post.

I would also need to know the install option used when you installed game. example UM5 default options (1024 x 768 and hob fix)

If you have made changes of any kind to the mod this creates issues with saved game and depending on changes might be un-testable.

so if you made changes please describe those changes.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

Ok, it seems i did not understood some things correctly. thx for pointing it out. I will use non-large variants then.

First solution idea/question:

Well first i tried Ultimate Dominion Mod 5 because i liked it the most.

But it crashes every 2nd battle due to mpr565.dll error.
I used a laptop with a 9600M GT graphic card.
I did not change anything, used the standard installation.

I also downloaded the 1024 folder with new .dll, from another thread, yet same error.

Is there a solution to that?

2nd solution idea/question:

Then i realized i do not have that error in other mods.

Like uncivl War or Ferengi Dominion Alliance mod. Since they do not fully meet my needs, i´d like to change the following using UE:

- Make Dilithium mine one per emprie and make it give 3 dilithium
- Change some ship stats
- Change starting technology level
- Change starting Food/Production/energy/Intel buildings to match the new level
- remove some smaller buildings for faster gameplay (or change them to have no effect).

Would such changes japodize the stability?

If one of both would be solvable would be great, because i want to play the game with friends in the upcoming days.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

as I said before, crashes now a days are rare.
so until you figure out why your system is having crash issues any other changes will not help and only complicate the issue.
Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:12 pm But it crashes every 2nd battle due to mpr565.dll error.
where are you getting info for this error? game crash log, popup message or event log?

what is exact message.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

Its an windows pop-up message.
Trek.exe is not working anymore

Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: trek.exe
Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0
Anwendungszeitstempel: 37965563
Fehlermodulname: mpr565.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 4.0.2.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 36ddcc05
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 000174f3
Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: ff74
Zusatzinformation 2: ff74efd48adb9b2917baf90a131351d4
Zusatzinformation 3: e9c8
Zusatzinformation 4: e9c882d63453ff36d91c96a099977ed0

It happens soly in the combination: UM5 + Geforce 9600M GT. Other mods work with this Graphic card. And UM5 works on another PC with another Graphic card. I have the latest drivers. i will download another one to see if there is a difference. Since UM5 has 1024x... resolution and i think its the only mod that is installable only in this resolution i thought trying to adjust using dxwnd to another solution could help... but there are kind of a lot buttons.... :shock:

-----

Is it possible to use UE with other mods and make only minor changes and keep the stability?
like changing a few ship and buliding stats?
Last edited by Firefly on Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

here is first thing I would suggest

1. for testing you should test with a fresh install of UM5.

2. install DirectX 9 redist this does not change your current version of directx. It will only add any files that is not on your system.
Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:26 pm Is it possible to use UE with other mods and make only minor changes and keep the stability?
like changing a few ship and buliding stats?
I am guessing this is for M/P game play, if so best way is to edit one install and once all changes are made copy and replace stbof.res and trek.exe of other installs.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

Yes copying .res for all MP pcs is the plan.
Primerily want to change ship stats and tech level + add dilithium.

i will download another one to see if there is a difference. Since UM5 has 1024x... resolution and i think its the only mod that is installable only in this resolution i thought trying to adjust using dxwnd to another solution could help... but there are kind of a lot buttons.... :shock:

I fresh installed quite a lot, one more time cannot hurt ;) will download the directx. shell i leave dxwnd on automatic when it comes to directX?

thanks for all your answers :)
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:02 pm i will download another one to see if there is a difference. Since UM5 has 1024x... resolution and i think its the only mod that is installable only in this resolution i thought trying to adjust using dxwnd to another solution could help... but there are kind of a lot buttons.... :shock:
setting changes to DxWnd will also cause botf to crash, so you might want to re-install "tools" also to restore original setting file.

and I will repeat this again 1024 resolution does not cause crashes. It is one of the most stable patches.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:57 pm
Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:02 pm i will download another one to see if there is a difference. Since UM5 has 1024x... resolution and i think its the only mod that is installable only in this resolution i thought trying to adjust using dxwnd to another solution could help... but there are kind of a lot buttons.... :shock:
setting changes to DxWnd will also cause botf to crash, so you might want to re-install "tools" also to restore original setting file.

and I will repeat this again 1024 resolution does not cause crashes. It is one of the most stable patches.
UM5 1024 is indeed very stable on my non-Geforce9600M GT pc.

Coudn´t make it running on Geforece 9600M GT laptop. Did reinstall UM5, Graphic card driver and the directX you posted, restarted after each. Had a new error: ntdll.dll error. then the old .dll error. Will reinstall tools as well.

Alternate solution:
Maybe a friend can bring another laptop.
UM5 mod is great. yet the credit income is only 500 credits per turn. is it intended to have fewer ships? How save or unsave would you consider it if i change a building to give credits instead of research? I would of course test, save and load. Are errors obious when some stats are changed, or could they appear later and ruin the gaming session?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 pm UM5 1024 is indeed very stable on my non-Geforce9600M GT pc.

Coudn´t make it running on Geforece 9600M GT laptop. Did reinstall UM5, Graphic card driver and the directX you posted, restarted after each. Had a new error: ntdll.dll error. then the old .dll error. Will reinstall tools as well.
if you want more help with error please describe crash.
exactly when does it happen?
are you changing screen?
pushing button screen loading?

the more details, the better chance it can be fixed.

also your current video driver version might be helpful.
Firefly wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:50 pm UM5 mod is great. yet the credit income is only 500 credits per turn. is it intended to have fewer ships? How save or unsave would you consider it if i change a building to give credits instead of research? I would of course test, save and load. Are errors obious when some stats are changed, or could they appear later and ruin the gaming session?
most if not all "stat" changes would not cause instability, but for testing you must start a new game after any changes.
Firefly
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Firefly »

The crash was simply during the combat, without any buttons pushed, the game crashed, i was back in windows and the message above was shown (dll error)- past tense. because your directX link + reinstall UM5 + (done today) also reinstalling tools/dxwnd helped. The bug is no longer there as it seems.

thank you :)

I will now change a few stats and test if it remains stable. Changing only stbof.res and if working after test, copy it to the other pcs.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

good to hear your issue is fixed.
Firefly wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:24 am I will now change a few stats and test if it remains stable. Changing only stbof.res and if working after test, copy it to the other pcs.
UE will edit trek.exe, so be sure to copy and transfer both files (stbof.res and trek.exe)

also if you plan on playing multi player game, make sure all players install game at same resolution and options.

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”