Supremacy new release

Supremacy; support/discussion/questions

Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

geordie
Captain
Captain

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by geordie »

Just out of curiosity, did you destroy the Borg colonies through bombardment, or did you invade any?
I invaded one colony and bombarded two others
IIRC shipyards are destroyed on assimilation. The Borg need to build their own shipyard, which should take some time as it is kind of expensive. This was designed to slow them down.
Borg had 350 turns to build at least one shipyard...
If they were at war, they should have. OBs are somewhat low priority if not, though.
Klingons declared that war...

I have just completed the 20200107 game> A new one would be after comong patch :grin:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am Borg had 350 turns to build at least one shipyard...
Hmmm... I'll check. It costs 7500, so only if industry would be really really low would that happen.
In your original post you said they didn't expand. Do you know for a fact that they didn't build any shipyards? Could they have built them but not powered them? You can check that easily in the starmap: if the colony has a Y, it has a shipyard; if the Y is gray, it's unpowered. It costs 100 energy.
The shipyard is in their build list in assimilated colonies. If it was a low level minor, they'll go through the process of upgrading PFs, and building other stuff. If you bombarded the colony, pop might be low, so industry is on the low side too. I'm currently checking this in a game.
Klingons declared that war...
Yes, but the mechanics are the same. If a civ is at war, they should try to activate all OBs; if not, only a few as a token defense.
The latest patch should handle this a bit better.
I have just completed the 20200107 game> A new one would be after comong patch :grin:
A new patch is already out, uploaded it a few hours ago. :grin:
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Definitely there was only one shipyard in the Unimatrix01 system.

I tried the new patch. Hmm... the game is hard to be played, because of domestic terrorism. If the terrorism appears about turn 7-8 after establishing a new colony it is not manageable. I am about turn 70 and in two still fresh colonies ½ of the buildings disappeared. I propose a retention period for new colonies, for example 30-40 turns. Now it happens randomly even if I have one security post in the colony about 100 population, so 10% of the population works in security - it's a police regime :grin:. So it is not balanced now.
I suppose the terrorism could be connected to the morale level (supposedly it is, but that level is only average in a new game), but maybe also to unemployment level?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Well, the Borg AI definitely does build shipyards in assimilated colonies. In that test game I was running, I assimilated the Numiri (TL8) , and the AI started upgrading PFs; but when I assimilated the Trabe (also TL8), it immediately started building an Assembly Matrix (shipyard). BTW, the AI will only build a shipyard when the system gets to 100 pop.

As an aside, the Borg use the same colony management AI as all other civs, it needs to be changed - they were buildings labs... :roll:

In another game, I had no crashes when the Borg assimilated my colonies. I don't think I ever heard the Resistance Is Futile soundfx being played though.

I tried the new patch. Hmm... the game is hard to be played, because of domestic terrorism. If the terrorism appears about turn 7-8 after establishing a new colony it is not manageable. I am about turn 70 and in two still fresh colonies ½ of the buildings disappeared. I propose a retention period for new colonies, for example 30-40 turns. Now it happens randomly even if I have one security post in the colony about 100 population, so 10% of the population works in security - it's a police regime :grin:. So it is not balanced now.
I suppose the terrorism could be connected to the morale level (supposedly it is, but that level is only average in a new game), but maybe also to unemployment level?
I haven't touched the events... :wink: Seriously, I haven't. The only thing I did was teach the AI to build and activate Intel PFs to guard against them. Otherwise, they're exactly the same as on release.
You are absolutely right that fresh colonies should not be affected, and I was going to do that, with a minimum pop or something - but that's not really a good option. There's actually an easy way to implement that retention period, which I remembered last night after using it for something else. :roll: Thx! :up: I'll get right on it.
Actually, I think 10% is a good figure - but I'm open to change ofc. We're talking police, federal agencies, intel services, etc. And most importantly, this is a pop absorption mechanic. You can go all out on research or industry (for credits), but it'll cost you. And don't forget that those intel points are still accumulating in your intel pool (for now at least). You can't do anything with them right now, but at some point you will. Now that the AI can defend itself, I'll revisit the AI engaging in intel attacks.
As for morale, I already did that in the latest release, someone here suggested it. Can't recall if it was you or Iscaran? Tying it to unemployment also, I really like that idea! Any suggestions on how to implement that?

Thanks for the feedback, it's really crucial to identify all these issues! I do some (limited) testing when implementing stuff, but don't have the time for full games - time for coding is scarce as it is.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Maybe that was a bad luck, because it has stopped after the initial 70 turns. Anyway I am building more intel units than usually in the past.

Instead of global terrorism problem I found something strange in one colony - the population is not growing despite 1.2% of growth rate. It is still initial 40... million? billion?
Print screen (3).jpg
Print screen (3).jpg (349.06 KiB) Viewed 3731 times
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yeah, probably. It only starts after turn 30 IIRC. And then it is checked every 10 turns or so.

The growth rate, yeah, that's something I changed. Before, colonies would always grow their pop by at least 1 every turn, even if GrowthRate * Pop was very small (unless it was zero ofc). Now I've rounded that value, so if it is below 0.5, there will effectively be no growth in the colony.
To compensate, and to make PercentPopulationHealth buildings more useful, I added their bonus to growth.
In your case, 0.012 * 40 is 0.48, whic rounds down to zero. If you build and activate an Health Centre, you'll get 0.48 + 0.15 (I think?), which will make the colony grow by 1 pop per turn.
I'll probably increase the PercentPopulationHealth values a bit, to assure that they'll always guarantee 1 pop.

edit:
I see you're already building the HC :wink:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:15 am I invaded one colony and bombarded two others
And did you get the SitRep about the Borg being eliminated?
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Probably i did not get that SitRep, but definitely there is no other colony or even single ship existing. I uncovered the whole galaxy map.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

An unexpected error :???:
Error.txt
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Lesigh.
Just went to play this, and bloody avast Cybercapture has gone 'ooh rare file we're submitting to virus lab to check, be about 47 minutes before we see if anything's wrong with it'.

more like 47 seconds ha just popped up clean ..
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 am Probably i did not get that SitRep, but definitely there is no other colony or even single ship existing. I uncovered the whole galaxy map.
I just glassed and invaded Unimatrix 01, and the Borg were eliminated both times. They hadn't assimilated any systems though, will try that next.
BTW, I just had the Borg assimilate one of my colonies (playing as the Romulans), and no crash. It's a UI related crash AFAICT, not sure why.
An unexpected error
That's the OB index error... :mad:
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Iceman wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:35 pm Well, the Borg AI definitely does build shipyards in assimilated colonies. In that test game I was running, I assimilated the Numiri (TL8) , and the AI started upgrading PFs; but when I assimilated the Trabe (also TL8), it immediately started building an Assembly Matrix (shipyard). BTW, the AI will only build a shipyard when the system gets to 100 pop.
Forgot to mention that the Numiri system had like 80 pop left, and the Trabe system 110 or so.

The growth rate, yeah, that's something I changed. Before, colonies would always grow their pop by at least 1 every turn, even if GrowthRate * Pop was very small (unless it was zero ofc). Now I've rounded that value, so if it is below 0.5, there will effectively be no growth in the colony.
To compensate, and to make PercentPopulationHealth buildings more useful, I added their bonus to growth.
In your case, 0.012 * 40 is 0.48, whic rounds down to zero. If you build and activate an Health Centre, you'll get 0.48 + 0.15 (I think?), which will make the colony grow by 1 pop per turn.
I'll probably increase the PercentPopulationHealth values a bit, to assure that they'll always guarantee 1 pop.
BTW, Medical ships count towards population health of the colony.
I'm in the process of improving the way pop health works. I'll get rid of the +GrowthRate bonus, and replace it in the few instances left with the +PercentPopulationHealth; no need to have 2 bonuses that might create confusion as to their purpose.
I've already removed minimum casualties from random events (Plague, Earthquake...), so you can actually prevent them now (I just need to add a new sitrep for this situation).
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 am Probably i did not get that SitRep, but definitely there is no other colony or even single ship existing. I uncovered the whole galaxy map.
Ok, I think I know what happened. Unimatrix 01 was not the last colony to be destroyed, right?
The diplo screen does show the Borg as being eliminated (dimmed pic, skull and bones icon), but the status is not updated. Will fix.
Notice a couple more issues, like the terraforming overlay on Uni (already fixed) and the missing string for colony destruction (trying to find it).
Also need to destroy all fleets of an eliminated civ, to avoid a crash when attacking them.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch out.
- made random events a bit more robust
- inactive OBs are now shown in the system assault screen and can be attacked
- made the border colonization penalty not apply for affiliated+ civs
- fixed and improved a few SitReps
- when a civ is eliminated, all its fleets and stations are destroyed (to prevent a crash when attacking them)
- colonies are shielded from terrorism events for 30 turns [geordie]
- unemployment slightly increases chance for terrorism events [geordie]
- fixed status update in Borg elimination [geordie]
- removed pop restriction in Borg AI shipyard construction (for expansion) [geordie]
- fixed/prevented potential crash in Borg assimilation [geordie]
- tweaked the Borg a bit (WiP)
- Borg AI will not build research and intel PFs
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch.
- added new SitReps for events when effect is negated (Plague, Terrorism)
- added a Computers TL bonus to the security of colonies (prevention of terrorism)
- added a new (positive) colonization event
- Outposts can now be upgraded to Science Stations
- fixed AI scouts not entering WHs
- fixed AI scouts freezing
- fixed a bug in Borg AI projected fleet maintenance cost
- AI now allocates research to a single field (instead of a balanced distribution), which helps a lot its (colony) development
- some more tweaks to colony management AI, but it still needs some work

I think I found the index issue/crash; I (hopefully) fixed it for the Production Facilities, next I'll do the (more frequent) Orbital Batteries, and Buildings.

Return to “Supremacy”