ST - Picard: spoiler talk & theories

You can talk about anything. (please read forum rules before posting)

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

ST - Picard: spoiler talk & theories

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Hi guys,

having seen the first episode of Star Trek Picard (which I liked more than expected) I have got some questions, which I don't see discussed in any reviews or forums I clicked through:

After the detonation of the romulan disruptor weapon on the roof, Picard awakens seemingly unharmed at his home. But the scene strongly indicates he should suffer from burns and shock wave injuries (leave alone the expected bone fractures in the age of 80+).

And his romulan housekeepers appear to behave /interact strange when he tells them about the incident, just noting that according to security footage he was alone on the roof. Also no disruptor-shot detection /alert in a starfleet facility?

Also the part when the last, injured romulan assassin spits some sort of acid(?) harming Dosh (and causing the disruptor to overload?) looks very strange just by the spitting distance.

This doesn't smell like on of the usual trek-writer mess-ups, and reminds on the Irumodic Syndrome or some sort of experimental cure (bio-positronic?) for it?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Re: ST - Picard: spoiler talk & theories

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

First thing I decided on when I clicked play, was... "Forget what Star Trek means to people, what Gene Roddenberry's Vision of the Future was..."

Having seen it, I realize It's the only way I could enjoy STP...

My theory for Daj/Soji, and the connection to Bruce Maddox - he's the "father", and his wife is the woman we saw Daj contact.
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

When the Romulan spit out the green stuff, my initial thought was he was spitting up blood... but I don't know why that would be acidic unless maybe the troops were genetically engineered that way? The whole Picard explosion thing doesn't make any sense, he should have woke up in a Starfleet medical facility regardless of the extent of his injures. He was unconscious so they would have checked him, not to mention Starfleet would have wanted to question him about the attack.

That said, I enjoyed the episode . I didn't think it was great, but it was good.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

I like how they play, more or less subtle, with reality and perception, and also with the expectations and aversions of the fans.

They certainly know that some fans get upset when, in the opening scene, ten-forward is wrong located and designed (nerds get the 6-foot model joke, I had to google that one) with Data wearing an anachronistic uniform.

But, at the same time, they hint at possible reasons for things being (or appearing) off or strange, although not always that obvious as in this opening scene.

Patrick Stewart told in an interview about making himself a fool by insisting of wearing an uniform in the second Data scene (emphasizes his in dream awakening was not real).

Looking at a few forums, many viewers expect later explanations for plot-holes like the super-jump, Picard's unharmed reappearing at home, disregard of Lore, Lal & 'Data's mother' or Dahj careless leaving 'her father's' necklace behind (and is the necklace's star nebula constellation real or just stylistic device?).

Until then let's just put it in Picard's words: "Strange..."
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Dewbacca
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander

Post by Dewbacca »

The "acid" the assassin used was most likely similar to the cyanide pill you bite into and crush to prevent interrogation, with acid providing a last offensive capability and the bonus of rendering the body unidentifiable.
But the explosion flinging Picard across a concrete roof with no damage, sent home while unconcious without questioning, housekeepers saw security footage, all very mysterious.
AlexMcpherson79
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

I suspect that it was his former tal shiar housekeepers who took him home, not being sent home by starfleet security...

Return to “General Chat”