Moderators: thunderchero, Iceman

geordie
Captain
Captain

Re: Supremacy new release

Post by geordie »

SP Cardassians Huge Irregular 100.zip
(617.17 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
I have only a save before investigating the first batteries.
I had that issue in two systems, apart that the batteries worked OK, even taking an enemy ship off sometimes. It was a native colony attacked by a military minor race - in two separate cases. Maybe there is another issue that I can buy a battery, once the system is under an assault.
First I had one option for the battery build. After a destruction there were two options listed: batteries with regular and heavy phasers - as I remember. I resolved that first war destoying Drai's shipyard - so that option also works.
I used threats twice: system raid and war declaration against one of those military races
The Borg fleet assaulted two my systems, after that destoyed 1 or 2 outposts or flew out
I haven't noticed missing system star - maybe it was only on a screenshot (but how???)
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Thanks for the save, might be helpful.

I'll look into the OB issue. Might have an idea of the cause.

The Borg fleet, if it had only 5 Spheres, might not have enough drones to assimilate most systems - might have been the cause for it going away. Spheres are not very useful for assimilation, Cubes and Tactical Cubes are best.
The AI doesn't know how to use the Attack Shipyard order yet, the Spheres would/will be good for that.

Odd, the issue with the star image...
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

I also noticed that a survey ship couldn't research a stellar phenomena further, once a science station had been built - but there was no progress in the research from that science station - is it correct?
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Yes, once a science station is built, it produces research every turn (there's just no SitRep about it, as it is a permanent effect), so surveyors will not duplicate that research.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Did they start raiding your colony, or did you raid their homesystem first?
I guess you were caught with your pants down, a little low on warships.
I guess the AI now does bother you a little at least - that shipyard getting disabled was somewhat inconvenient :twisted:
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Yea, I didn't expect a war declaration from a minor race. In fact it was not a big risk, bacause it was limited by ship range. I assume that military minor races dislike colonies close to their systems. But definitely the game was more interesting
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

:up:
Warlike races will attack your (undefended) colonies that are in their range. And Raider races will raid your systems if possible/profitable.
I've just made them try to destroy the shipyard if it exists :wink: And the Borg too.

I've also addressed the orbital battery issue you mentioned. Needs testing though.

I used threats twice: system raid and war declaration against one of those military races
In order to be able to threaten with an embargo, you need to have trade routes with that civ. Those trade routes will not yield any income if they don't accept the deal.

How was the research pace at Slow for you?

I'll release a new patch for you to test these changes, if you wish.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

The slow research pace was OK, because I am about turn 280 and research level 8, so still something to investigate.
I have just colonized Unimatrix01, so the game is in the last phase, unless I would like to fight against other empires, so a patch would be for another game.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Your savegame was pure gold as usual.

The OB issue is fixed, AFAICT.
Also fixed a bug (temporary/incomplete code actually) that made the AI stick to attacking a single colony - it will now switch targets when appropriate; still need to tweak the conditions a bit.
The AI will now return to its homesystem if it is under attack. The code is not complete, it's a bit exploitable. Will improve.

The slow research pace was OK, because I am about turn 280 and research level 8, so still something to investigate.
It is ok ok'ish, or ok good? I mean, can it still be improved? IIRC the 20nov patch has TLs 1 and 2 increased by a bit.

I have just colonized Unimatrix01, so the game is in the last phase, unless I would like to fight against other empires, so a patch would be for another game.
Ok. I've already checked those fixes I mentioned, so no prob.
Might release a new patch with the latest improvements, I think they're worth it. :wink:
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

Research pace - the slow one for me means only to avoid a situation that I have a half of the galaxy unexplored and there is nothing to research - I know I exaggerate because with more advanced scouts and colony ships the exploration is quicker.
I suppose I would use normal pace once enemy AI is improved, so the game would demand more brave actions.
I thought about 'pants down' - in fact it has no effect, because a range of early cruisers in too limited to help a colony under attack, that's why I usually wait for something like destroyer II.
It is a problem with assaluting other empire in an advance game. The ships' range and speed (including troop ships) cause that the conquest is really slow.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

Have you tried playing a Medium or Large map at Normal? So that you get 1st contact with other empires sooner?

In those border / potentially exposed to threats colonies, maybe you should have some warships in orbit? :wink: It helps deterr (sp?) those pesky Warlike and Raider minors. The range of Cruisers doesn't matter much if those colonies have a shipyard (which was your case - you would have lost both colonies if it weren't for the bug, and besides those fleets already stranded, your destroyers attacking the Drai homesystem would get stranded too).

Yes, but if we increase range and speed, there may be unintended consequences (like Outposts becoming obsolete or close to it).
And it will probably make the AI more vulnerable to human players.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

New patch.
AI should try to repair its damaged fleets now, and return to the homesystem if it is under attack.
It will also cancel pointless assaults.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

geordie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:18 pm I have just colonized Unimatrix01, so the game is in the last phase, unless I would like to fight against other empires, so a patch would be for another game.
How did you find the Borg ships? Too powerful, ok'ish, ...? Shields and hull mostly.
Was it easy taking the Borg out? They don't defend yet.
geordie
Captain
Captain

Post by geordie »

70 dsII was enough for 5 spheres. They were somewhere out of the homeworld and I managed to destroy Unimatrix01 before their return. I met them in space (stranded, one jump from the homeworld) and it took several turns before first sphere was destroyed, despite a reinforcement of 30 dsIII, because they tried to escape the fight every turn. After that first one it went quite fast.
Iceman
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Iceman »

They only had those 5 spheres, or some other ships?
Any suggestion on how to improve the Borg?
CaptScarff has made them colonize a couple of system, for a future release - still needs to be tested.

Have you tried the 22nov patch?
If you can test it on Normal research rate, that'd be cool. The initial TLs should be close to the previous Slow rate.

Return to “Supremacy”