Interview with the Devs & Source Code

General Modding Information/Questions; support/discussion/questions

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
:idea: Please search before starting new topic. :idea:
There is a good chance it has already been asked.
Post Reply
User avatar
JeanApple
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:20 am

Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by JeanApple »

Greetings

Ive been visiting this forum for years. I wanted to reach out to you fans, especially those modding the game, because I’m going to be having an interview with the developers of Star Trek Birth of the Federation on my podcast, Developer Dialogue (Links below). One question I’ve been thinking of asking is regarding the source code. I wanted to see if they could direct me to an individual or company that may have the code. I was thinking this code help you better mod the game. Would you be interested in getting the source code? If not Ill just skip the question.

https://developerdialogue.com/

Or search for Developer Dialogue on your favorite Podcast app.
User avatar
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

The source code still would be very interesting, to say the least.

But each and any of the developers has been asked about this many times.... even from a guy with a name similar to yours.... and it might get hilarious at some point, not to say annoying....


EDIT: However, we also look for an ancient version of the Gamegen. Creator, used for the original 3D ship designs in BotF. Problem is that albeit outdated it's still a commercial product. So it's sort of an 'undercover' mission....
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
User avatar
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Posts: 6598
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 am
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.
Contact:

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 am EDIT: However, we also look for an ancient version of the Gamegen. Creator, used for the original 3D ship designs in BotF. Problem is that albeit outdated it's still a commercial product. So it's sort of an 'undercover' mission....
when I contacted MultiGen several years ago they gave me access to the original version of gamegen that was used during creation of botf.
User avatar
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:40 am when I contacted MultiGen several years ago they gave me access to the original version of gamegen that was used during creation of botf.
Interesting. So in theory it should be able to auto-calculate the damage-spot orientation values? But of course it's a very low-priority task right now and I have no intention to mess with the creator myself.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
User avatar
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Posts: 6598
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 am
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.
Contact:

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:13 am Interesting. So in theory it should be able to auto-calculate the damage-spot orientation values? But of course it's a very low-priority task right now and I have no intention to mess with the creator myself.
Gamgen is basically the same program as creator just less features. It has nothing for auto calculating orientation values. I think orientation of damage spot was done during ship creation with extra polygon overlaid on top of the hull. This is why some damage spots display oval instead of round like the texture. (polygon is rectangular instead of square)

without detailed instructions or examples on how they did it (how to setup display trigger is main issues). we would only be guessing and all of my attempts has not given good results.
note; the examples in falcon source code did not have damage spots only phaser hard points, I have used that info to improve phasers.
User avatar
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Yes, something like an overlaid rectangular polygon would be the easiest user interface option in the creator. It could calculate and provide all values needed for the damage slots in the hob files in one go. As you say, if we knew how to trigger and handle this function....
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
User avatar
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker
Posts: 2635
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Contact:

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by Flocke »

JeanApple wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:07 am Greetings

Ive been visiting this forum for years. I wanted to reach out to you fans, especially those modding the game, because I’m going to be having an interview with the developers of Star Trek Birth of the Federation on my podcast, Developer Dialogue (Links below). One question I’ve been thinking of asking is regarding the source code. I wanted to see if they could direct me to an individual or company that may have the code. I was thinking this code help you better mod the game. Would you be interested in getting the source code? If not Ill just skip the question.

https://developerdialogue.com/

Or search for Developer Dialogue on your favorite Podcast app.
Hey JeanApple, you obviously hit a nerve with that question. You must know we've read quite some implausible claims over the years where people told they'd have contact with some of those developers and might soon have access to the code or the like. But it soon showed to be some mad hoax all the time or at least nothing substantial came out of it.

The problem with it is that at some point such a post isn't taken for serious anymore even if it was for serious.
I mean even when all those guys have been asked before, you still might reveal some insights they didn't think of or didn't want to talk of before.

If you have a contact, we are of course all very interested on both the podcast and any material, hints, contacts and support or any hidden secrets on what they didn't complete but had in plan or what they changed mind during development or whatever they are willing to share. Also the side stories of how the project progressed and what they did beside coding is of interest. I don't think there is much insight, on neither the team nor all the work they did, been disclosed anywhere yet.

But when you talk of 'the developers' it for sure isn't the whole team you're talking of. So for more specific questions we'd need to know what person and what they've been working on. And we'd need more details on your podcast for taking you serious. :)
User avatar
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

I think he is referring to 'The Rebirth and Newly Announced Games of Microprose with Sergio Costa' from last sunday....
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
User avatar
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Posts: 6598
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:00 am
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.
Contact:

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:17 pm I think he is referring to 'The Rebirth and Newly Announced Games of Microprose with Sergio Costa' from last sunday....
that interview was 7 months ago I think.

Yeah I took the time to listen to that interview and birth of the Federation is briefly talked about at 1:14:50

summary: "new microprose does not own rights" as we know birth of the Federation was sold back in 2000 - 2001
User avatar
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:00 am

Re: Interview with the Devs & Source Code

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:19 pmthat interview was 7 months ago I think.
Correct, LOL. Well, in my defense I quote Mob boss Little Bonaparte with a line from "Some Like It Hot" (1959): :wink: :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF7kH1gctgY
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Post Reply

Return to “General Modding Information/Questions”