BOTF All in One installer 2.0.0 (Released 7-10-2020)

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Re: BOTF All in One installer 2.0.0 (Released 7-10-2020)

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 am1. you would need to edit stbof.ini to current location.

2. new entry would need to be created for DxWnd for ECML

3. windows registries would also need to be created or it would never work, but it is not impossible to setup new registry.

4. trek.exe would need to be edited to new registry also.
Thanks for the useful technical hints.

EDIT: Just to be clear, one can edit ECM map sizes in default directories (i.e. the base installations) without having to deal with those shenanigans?

OT @ windows registry keys

I had have issues with BotF not saving my settings after exiting program (eg. map overlay options). After some time the problem was gone.

After un-installing I searched the registry for unremoved BotF / Microprowse entries and found windows 10 at some point created a key labeling trek.exe as 'friendly app' IIRC. Maybe there is a connection?
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:32 am EDIT: Just to be clear, one can edit ECM map sizes in default directories (i.e. the base installations) without having to deal with those shenanigans?
correct, also if you use beta version, you could easily adapt shield level fix version and have both normal and large
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:31 pm ECML was dropped a long time ago (AI & turn time issues), but using UE and BotF-patcher you can edit the map size for your own taste.
also don't forget on edited galaxies/resolutions you must apply botfrespatch
viewtopic.php?p=30780#p30780
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

thunderchero wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 am option 1
transfer the old folder (old version) to your new system

option 2
copy ecm folder to new folder (ecml) and edit as you want
It didn't work. :sad:

Without DxWnd I can start my personal mod, but with the known slowdown...

thunderchero wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 am
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:31 pm
thunderchero wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 amcopy ecm folder to new folder (ecml) and edit as you want
JeanLucPicard1 wasn't able to do so. Was this an end user error or is there an issue I'm not aware of?
I expect end user error.

1. you would need to edit stbof.ini to current location.

2. new entry would need to be created for DxWnd for ECML

3. windows registries would also need to be created or it would never work, but it is not impossible to setup new registry.

4. trek.exe would need to be edited to new registry also.
I don't know how to do these steps.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

Kurn wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 pm Without DxWnd I can start my personal mod, but with the known slowdown...
I will try to make it easy for you,

at bottom of this post
viewtopic.php?p=42272#p42272

you will find very old preloaded versions of dxwnd

download and extract files, extract to any location example my document/preloaded ("preloaded" = new folder)

once extracted run the dxwnd.exe

if you use default install locations the Error correction mod Large version should display on list with green dot before name

to play "Error correction mod Large" just double click that line.

Edit; this would not work in MP games, but since there is no registry for ECML it should use install folder to use other files (stbof.res, stbof.ini)
Kurn
Lieutenant-Junior Grade
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Post by Kurn »

thunderchero wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:51 pm
at bottom of this post
viewtopic.php?p=42272#p42272

you will find very old preloaded versions of dxwnd

download and extract files, extract to any location example my document/preloaded ("preloaded" = new folder)

once extracted run the dxwnd.exe

if you use default install locations the Error correction mod Large version should display on list with green dot before name

to play "Error correction mod Large" just double click that line.
It didn't work with the old DxWnd and old ECML, but something else works. With the old DxWnd I can start BOPL (renamed new ECM) with exchanged files from my personal mod (trek, stbof and so on). So I can play my personal mod with large galaxy and extended view on my new pc. Thanks for your help!
MarkXXX
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by MarkXXX »

Hi,

So I just got back into BotF after seeing that the All In One 2.0.0 installer was released. I'd been away for many years and missed the game, warts and all. My biggest problem with the vanilla game that I downloaded as part of the All In One installer is, just like the old days, it crashes when I get deep in--maybe around turn 250 or so. But it isn't just a crash, it simply refuses to work with that saved game again no matter how many times I reboot. There is no turn lag up to that point, it plays fine and then bam, it simply CTDs and then that save game never works again. Do any of the included mods make the game more stable?
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

MarkXXX wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:39 pm Hi,

So I just got back into BotF after seeing that the All In One 2.0.0 installer was released. I'd been away for many years and missed the game, warts and all. My biggest problem with the vanilla game that I downloaded as part of the All In One installer is, just like the old days, it crashes when I get deep in--maybe around turn 250 or so. But it isn't just a crash, it simply refuses to work with that saved game again no matter how many times I reboot. There is no turn lag up to that point, it plays fine and then bam, it simply CTDs and then that save game never works again. Do any of the included mods make the game more stable?
Are you saving your game in a new save slot for each time you save the game? I have read if you overwrite old saves, they become corrupt and will no longer function, but I have never tested it.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
MarkXXX
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by MarkXXX »

Tethys wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:11 pm
MarkXXX wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:39 pm Hi,

Are you saving your game in a new save slot for each time you save the game? I have read if you overwrite old saves, they become corrupt and will no longer function, but I have never tested it.
Hmm, I'll give that a try!
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

there are bugs in vanilla that can cause saved game errors, so yes mods may have been patched for some errors, but this would also depend on when mod was last updated.

sounds like you enjoy low tech games? these tend to last longer and the longer the game the more chance saved game errors become. So win quicker lol

You could also try to fix the saved game with UE and do an integrity check, but if it works, most of the time error will happen again later.
MarkXXX
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by MarkXXX »

thunderchero wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:48 pm there are bugs in vanilla that can cause saved game errors, so yes mods may have been patched for some errors, but this would also depend on when mod was last updated.

sounds like you enjoy low tech games? these tend to last longer and the longer the game the more chance saved game errors become. So win quicker lol

You could also try to fix the saved game with UE and do an integrity check, but if it works, most of the time error will happen again later.
Just wanted to mention that it just happened again. Playing as the Feds, everyone on tech level 4, normal difficulty, randoms on, autosave on. Turn 162. It just CTD's no matter what I do. No lag, no slowdown, it just decided to stop working as of this turn. But two days ago I played as The Ferengi, same settings, (except randoms were off), 500+ turn game, and it didn't crash once. I just don't understand why this game crashes the way it does. If it was starting to lag and then a crash happened, I'd understand. But it plays perfectly fine and sometimes it lets me finish a game and sometimes, on one particular turn, for no particular reason, it stops functioning. I tried reloading saves, (saved in a new slot), I tried reloading with the continue button. Nothing works. I wasn't in the middle of any kind of huge battle that might have taxed the graphics capability, just an average move. I don't get it. The only difference in the two games was that randoms were on this time, but I don't see any reason for that to be the cause. It's vexing. I put hours and hours in and then, sorry, game over.
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

MarkXXX wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:57 pm Just wanted to mention that it just happened again.
without seeing the saved game, everything is just a guess.

you may have just gotten a corrupt install.
MarkXXX
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by MarkXXX »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:53 pm
MarkXXX wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:57 pm Just wanted to mention that it just happened again.
without seeing the saved game, everything is just a guess.

you may have just gotten a corrupt install.
Would you be interested in looking at the saved game?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

MarkXXX wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 pm Would you be interested in looking at the saved game?
I would take a look at to see if any improvement can be made but don't expect a fixed save.
MarkXXX
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by MarkXXX »

thunderchero wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:31 pm
MarkXXX wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 pm Would you be interested in looking at the saved game?
I would take a look at to see if any improvement can be made but don't expect a fixed save.
I don't need the save fixed, I started a new game. I'm just curious if you could find out from it what exactly is going wrong, whether it's a corrupt install or some old problem endemic to the game code itself. How can I send you the file?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

when posting a reply, if you look below the submit button you should see a "attachment" tab. select that tab and upload file.

Return to “Support Archive”