(Download) ST:BotF Galaxies MOD v0.4.0

Galaxies MOD; showcase and support/discussion/questions/suggestions/reviews

Moderator: thunderchero

Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: (Download) ST:BotF Galaxies MOD v0.3.6x

Post by Tethys »

Tip: You can go into stbof.ini and set BORG:OFF for your next game (not sure if it will work on current game). This should disallow the Doomsday Machine and help with stability until the problem can be fixed.
Not for the weak of heart...
Galaxies MOD v0.4.0 <--- GALM/Galaxies Mod latest version
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I have isolated the issue. It is a simple hex change. Apparently, I screwed something up at some point in time and broke the code.

Here is a patch file for use with QD patch tool that should prevent the issue from happening again. Dreamer1984, this also WILL FIX your turn 199 save, if you wish to go back that far and allow the Doomsday Machine to run it's course... ;)

Code: Select all

NAME: GALM_Doomsday_Bugfix
DESC: Fix a crash associated with Doomsday Machine destroying a system.
AUTHOR: Tethys
URL: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/onscreen/botf/viewtopic.php?f=304&p=55480#p55480
TAG: bugfix

# This the old vanilla code:
>> 0x04E8B1  0F 83 F0

# This is the new patched code:
<< 0x04E8B1  C7 45 40

Dreamer1984
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dreamer1984 »

Glad to hear you fixed the issue. One question though: where do I find this QD patch tool, and, I just change that hex code with that QD patch tool.. right? I am new to modding botf files, but I do know how to use hex editors etc.
Dreamer1984
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dreamer1984 »

Nevermind, I figured it out by searching the forums. I had applied your fix, and tested it.. and it works.

I will continue my game from that "doomsday" turn, and will report back if anything happens. Cheers!
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Dreamer1984 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:49 pmI will continue my game from that "doomsday" turn, and will report back if anything happens. Cheers!
Thank you, I would appreciate this very much. I am glad I could solve this unfortunate coding error and fix your issue.

I have in the works an update for GALM which I may package and release over the weekend. It will include the bug fix as well as an updated asfm.ani file to replace medium size planets that the Doomsday Machine destroys, new Crystalline entity code to change 1 planet to barren per turn and depopulate, and the Minos system name fix (Trivas system) for Empok Nor (Derelict Station).

You will have to start a new game for Empok Nor to show up in Trivas system, but the other code changes should work with saved games!
Dreamer1984
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dreamer1984 »

Great to hear that there will be a new update.. and, thank you for this great mod. :)

I have a question: this Doomsday machine.. it is supposed to destroy planets, right ? I have seen it destroy all planets in one of Borg owned systems ( 5 Tauri). Later on, it arrived in my system Gr`oth. Had to chase it away.

Here is a picture, it turned all planets into asteroids (even though, the planet images/icons are still the same):
Attachments
galm1.jpg
galm1.jpg (337.21 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

I am aware of that issue. There is still coding to be done on my end, the fix for Doomsday only fixed the crash, not the Ani files. That will come in a future update, to fix the Ani files for Doomsday and Crystal entity.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Re: (Download) ST:BotF Galaxies MOD v0.3.6x1

Post by Tethys »

!!! LATEST VERSION DOWNLOAD !!!
Galaxies MOD v0.3.6x1 - LATEST VERSION (REQUIRES AIO Installer)
Most notable changes are:
-All major race except Borg start with appropriate canon star type (requires starting new game)
-Planet animations fixed for monsters (should work with save game, however see below)
-Doomsday and Crystal entity monsters switched to make use of appropriate planetary destruction effect for each. Crystal entity now uses Borg random event, Doomsday now uses old Crystal entity event (requires new game to take effect)
-Crystal entity will spawn a new entity after "eating" a system (Lexicon discrepancy, need to make better use of Lexicon entry)
-Doomsday (Crystal entity vanilla) map movement code adjusted to behave like Borg (stay if populated, else transwarp to next system)

Minor changes:
-Doomsday and Crystal entity shield stats dramatically increased. Ramming is recommended.
-Lexicon entries fixed showing proper monster for popup dialog
-Doomsday popup image i_t10270.tga to replace Borg popup image

Other things:
Included is a folder of 12 blank sav files, and an experimental version of UE that can edit up to 14 stellar object types. DO NOT use the UE to open GALM sav files
:!: UE cannot read GALM sav files and will corrupt them the moment you load them into UE :!:
So please save yourself the headache!

To do:
-Find and change Gomtuu map movement back to default (01) instead of stay if populated (Borg 03)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:18 pm-Find and change Gomtuu map movement back to default (01) instead of stay if populated (Borg 03)
Resetting asm-4337E0 / 0x32BE0 to vanilla value (BA 38 43 00) should do the trick: viewtopic.php?p=34119#p34119

But as told the switch is for 'newly generated' monsters i.e. changes won't work for monsters on the maps of saved games.

Plus there is a rare, strange bug sometimes causing monsters 'getting stuck' or disappear.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:23 am Plus there is a rare, strange bug sometimes causing monsters 'getting stuck' or disappear.
I haven't noticed disappearing, but getting stuck seems to happen a lot. Any disappearing monster I always attributed to AI combat where the monster lost (You encountered Klingons in sector X,Y... when I know damn well I didnt have any ships in that sector, but a monster WAS nearby and "disappeared", Mudd F11)

Also, I found the value shortly after I posted, I had changed it when I was testing which monster is which, because they only vaguely labeled (they share jump switches, though I am adding unique identifying comments to them now)

4337d4 > Crystal
4337d8 > ? Chod ?
4337dc > ? Cala ?
4337e0 > Gomtuu
4337e4 > ? Tarell ?
4337e8 > ? edo ?
4337ec > ? drone ?

Going by theory "name is order of" chodak first, cala second, etc... hopefully you can clear it up a little. I am very pro-comments in the IDB, they help out a WHOLE lot!
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Tethys wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:54 pmbecause they only vaguely labeled (they share jump switches... hopefully you can clear it up a little.
At asm-4337D0 sets a switch table (via monster race ID) map-programs for newly generated monsters
Second post by DCER in Monster Editing Info: (also in 'extending the shiplist' and many more)
To get the internal monster index - subtract the value with 0x24 (36)

Monster indexes:

0 - Borg Cube 24
1 - Crystal Entity 25
2 - Chodak 26
3 - Calamarain 27
4 - Gomtuu 28
5 - Tarellian 29
6 - Edo Guardian 2A
7 - Combat Drone 2B
8 - Orbital Battery
9 - Husnock 2C
EDIT: It's a very old post. Should be:

8 - Husnock 2C
9 - unused if listed

Best info on monster switches is this:
(order via shiplist.sst-ID)
0 - Borg Cube (73)
1 - Calamarain (74)
2 - Chodak (75)
3 - Crystal Entity (76)
4 - Combat Drone (77)
5 - Edo Guardian (78 )
6 - Gomtuu (79)
7 - Husnock (7A)
8 - Orbital Battery (7B)
9 - Tarellian (7C)

(order via monster race-ID)
0 - Borg Cube 24
1 - Crystal Entity 25
2 - Chodak 26
3 - Calamarain 27
4 - Gomtuu 28
5 - Tarellian 29
6 - Edo Guardian 2A
7 - Combat Drone 2B
8 - Husnock 2C
9 - (redundant)
But, yes. A list of all default race IDs (empires, minor races & monsters) would be nice for the wiki page. It would be madness to label all switches in IDA.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Dreamer1984
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Dreamer1984 »

I have started a new campaign after installing latest update ( I had played last campaign for 20+ more turns, and there were no CTD).

Are random events advisable to be played with? Had a weird random event in my previous campaign: I had 550 population in one system (two planets: one 500, second 50), and next turn, my planet with 500 turned into asteroids after some random event.. and...... that system now has 58 population. :grin: :grin: :grin:
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Random events including Borg may be played with On now. But yes, some of the system events need to be reworked because they do things like that. Sounds like you had a comet strike, maybe a rogue planet. Those damn comet strikes are quite a menace, aren't they? ;)
Last edited by Tethys on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy630511
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mudpuppy630511 »

Outstanding mod. I've been playing the Borg in this one, and I am pleasantly surprised. I'm curious to know the reasoning behind the colony ships having a short range instead of medium. I'm not concerned though as I have adjusted my strategy accordingly. Good work on the Borg all around. I have noticed that the production queues of each of my systems get hung up on the "Power node" and "sensor node" buildings. I have to clear the queue and then requeue those items in order to correct it.

Here are my thoughts as I play through the Borg:
I was wondering if there has been any work on the Borg v/o's for system colonization, the v/o's for ship combat, and encountering new races. When I encountered the Orions, the game thought I had encountered the Pakleds. Likewise, when I encountered the Risians it was confused with the Mizarians. Has there been any headway on narration v/o for the new alien encounters, and the summary to be more Borg-like?
I was also wondering if there has been any thoughts of changing the music from the Ferengi music to something more Borg-like?
I was wondering if there will be an intro v/o for when you select the Borg to play instead of the Ferengi introduction.

I'm playing the Galaxies Mod that came with the most recent All-in-one-installer.
Tethys
Past Administrator
Past Administrator

Post by Tethys »

Mudpuppy630511 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:32 pm I'm curious to know the reasoning behind the colony ships having a short range instead of medium. I have noticed that the production queues of each of my systems get hung up on the "Power node" and "sensor node" buildings. I have to clear the queue and then requeue those items in order to correct it.
Thanks :) are you referring to Borg colony ships, or all around? The Borg get an Advanced Constructor around Tech 6 with a medium range. In the new version of GALM I have disabled them for the player, but they remain a part of Borg AI expansion (due to AI inability to compensate). I tried to design the Borg to be more of a tough race for player, while being a strong opponent against player. Seems to be working.
Mudpuppy630511 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:32 pmHere are my thoughts as I play through the Borg:
I was wondering if there has been any work on the Borg v/o's for system colonization, the v/o's for ship combat, and encountering new races. When I encountered the Orions, the game thought I had encountered the Pakleds. Likewise, when I encountered the Risians it was confused with the Mizarians. Has there been any headway on narration v/o for the new alien encounters, and the summary to be more Borg-like?
I was also wondering if there has been any thoughts of changing the music from the Ferengi music to something more Borg-like?
I was wondering if there will be an intro v/o for when you select the Borg to play instead of the Ferengi introduction.
No new voiceovers have been added. There is.. ahem.. low availability of voice actors around (0 excluding myself, I did some Borg voice but have since lost the filters I used to mix them, new ones would sound different) I would love to have a standard introduction from each race similar to the major races, instead of the 5x narration of each major races narrator. A simple greeting "Greetings from Vulcan. We are a people of peaceful exploration and logic. It is agreeable to make first contact with you." and "We are the Maquis! The Cardassians will pay for what they have done to us! If you choose to ally yourself with them, then you will pay too!" and "The Prophets have guided you here! In time, you will see what it means to believe. Welcome to Bajor." However this would require at least some diversity of voice actors. I could probably pull off 5 or 6 minors. But I would need some women, and deep and shallow voices.

Thanks for playing, glad you like it, you should grab the new version. A few new features and some bug fixes also. :up:

Return to “Galaxies MOD”