Vista problems/solutions please post them here

This forum contains threads from support forum outdated or no longer neede.

Moderator: thunderchero

thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Vista problems/solutions please post them here

Post by thunderchero »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary of Solutions
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use Multi installer (this has all patches part of installer)

install using "software" mode (direct3d has been problematic)

right click trek.exe and run as administrator to allow saving of games if needed.

turning off morphological filtering and crossfire.

video driver/software note
you might need to setup a profile within your video settings for each install of botf (Nvidia contol panel or Catalyst Control Center), BOTF needs lower settings than default in some cases.

thunderchero
Last edited by thunderchero on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seano
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by Seano »

if anyone wants to know why BOTF wont work on xp heres a few answers to get it to work:

1. change compatibly settings by right clicking the main executive EXE change to 98 or win 2000.

if u downloaded it from just say a torrent 95% of the BOTF torrents dot work, just download from this site works 100% for xp :) anymore questions then PM me
and i will be glad to help
Jorge1984
Cadet 1st Year
Cadet 1st Year

Post by Jorge1984 »

does the game work for vista
matress_of_evil
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Location: South Wales - Not The Australian One, The Other One!

Post by matress_of_evil »

Jorge, this thread thread is about fixing errors that people MAY encounter when they play the game on Vista. That means the game does work on Vista, but you may encounter a few compatibility problems at first - just like happens with XP. Even those people who are unlucky enough to encounter problems should be able to get it running with a little bit of work. :)
Check out the latest news for Star Trek: Supremacy, Birth of the Empires and more at Star-Trek-Games.com!

"Anyone without a sense of humour is truly at the mercy of the rest of us."
El_lobo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by El_lobo »

viewtopic.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1
I downloaded the file Update Tactical Combat and it has worked so far I have got to blow up some ships and outposts testing it.

It is nice to have the space combat feature of the game back.

Note:Compatability mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
Operating system: Windows Vista
As I wrote in another topic, I had the problem that the game always crashed in combat mode, actually when the ships where about to fire the first round. After applying the file "Update Tactical Combat" I have been able to fight around 20 battles and have only had one crash.
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

I was wondering, has anyone heard of any feedback on how vista gets on with multiplayer at all?

I'm in the middle of getting a new pc built as the old warhorse has given up and i'm getting Vista installed for it.

So i figure i'd swat up on how peeps have gotten round getting the game on vista before i get my mits on my new machine and bang heads with it :lol:
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I''m playin' on a Vista Business 32Bit edition and BotF works fine in mp.
I've heard about others being 'botf'-stable on Vista 64Bit, so if you get problems, you might have to configure vista, but afterwards all should be fine.

Dunno if Vista's build in Defender or Firewall or somethin' may cause problems, I've disabled most of its security tools and instead installed Comodo Firewall. :P
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Vista crashes frequently, more so than XP in my experience, but the good thing is Vista wont hang whereas XP requires a reboot sometimes. But I prefer XP because I experience less crashes. This could be because I have an onboard video card in my computer though. :-(
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

I havn't experienced more or less crahes. It kept the same for me. :roll:
eber3
Captain
Captain

Post by eber3 »

My Vista solution

Uninstall Vista. Reinstall XP. :lol:
trevtones
Commander
Commander

Post by trevtones »

Flocke wrote:I havn't experienced more or less crahes. It kept the same for me. :roll:
Like I said it's probably my video card and Vista's insatiable appetite for resources.
eber3 wrote:My Vista solution

Uninstall Vista. Reinstall XP.
My philosophy exactly!!! :-)
Don't let your reach exceed your grasp! :mad:
Oblivion
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Oblivion »

stardust wrote:I was wondering, has anyone heard of any feedback on how vista gets on with multiplayer at all?

I'm in the middle of getting a new pc built as the old warhorse has given up and i'm getting Vista installed for it.

So i figure i'd swat up on how peeps have gotten round getting the game on vista before i get my mits on my new machine and bang heads with it :lol:
Stardust I build PC's for a living, and believe me when I say that you don't need or want Vista.

I am doing downgrades to XP for so many people its not funny. You will just get annoyed and frustrated with it. Plus if you know what to look for XP/Server 2003 can run so fast and stable it will blow your socks off.

If anyone wants info on what to do with XP or Vista (yes I can help make it slightly less of a resource hog) then PM me :)
stardust
Rear-Admiral
Rear-Admiral

Post by stardust »

Same here Flocke, first thing i'll be doing is chucking out whatever firewall that comes with the PC and lobbing Comodo back on :D

All i know is the pc i'm getting has a 2ghz processor and 2 gig of ram to play with and because i can't be bothered to add all my music onto the existing hard drive i'll be running my old one on there as a slave so i'll have around 400 gig of memory to play with when everything's done.

400 gig, this sounds like overkill to me :lol:

i'd love to see BOTF try and chew all that up in a game now :twisted:
Computers! [Expletive deleted]

My 4shared folder
liteview1701
Ensign
Ensign

Post by liteview1701 »

none of the ship editing programs work wat can we do?
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

not sure what programs you are having problems with, But my new laptop with vista is up and running with newtek modeler, unwrap3d, creator, milkshape and adobe theses are only ones I could ever want for ship creation.

And I know I said I would never use vista but also did like flocke's and turned off all of windows protection and use my own security software.

thunderchero

Return to “Support Archive”