Dominion mod 3 synch error

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: Dominion mod 3 synch error

Post by Flocke »

Flocke wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:02 am

Code: Select all

Version Under Test: 72
File: ..\..\source\game\solarapi.c, Line: 5279, query != NULL
Initialize State: 31
Player Empire: 2	Starting Seed: 1647748183
Galaxy shape: 2	Galaxy Size: 2
That crash was caused by the systInfo updWrkr flag that's been set for that system:
0x314-0x317 updWrkr: update worker assignments marker (f.e. after pop loss) -> bugged!
I don't know anything about it, but unsetting that flag, I can select the system again and progressed another 50 turns without error.

I updated UE to report and unset that flag by the integrity checks, it now reads:
update_worker_check.jpg
update_worker_check.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 1005 times

Attached is the patched save game. I didn't test in MP, but am confident the issue is fixed. :cool:
Please give it a try and report back!
Attachments
Game5.sav
(259.02 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Flocke wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:02 amThe alienInfo race status is only set weird for the Cardassians, all other races have a status of 0-2 (Independent, Subjugated, Member).
It is the last 4 bytes of first entry at 3Ch, and testing around in a single-player game it randomly is set to a shifted value of 08, 20 or 40.

This occures after having played a dozen turns, I however didn't identify any specific event. When I reload a previous save I again have to play another dozen turns for it to occure and it is set to another value.

It further doesn't seem to matter what race status is set. When I modify a vanilla game and set the status it doesn't seem to have any effect either.
Therefore I patched UE for now to handle that weird value.

Sorry I thought the info was clear enough:

1.) By default [alienInfo+3C] is a minor race only feature -> (for minors) http://flocke.bplaced.net/botfwiki/inde ... #alienInfo

2.) My quoted patch (used in UDM3) relocates the added monsters bitmask to the unused cardassian entry in [alienInfo+3C]

3.) Conclusion -> UE should ignore [alienInfo+3C] for empires (race IDs 0-4 i.e. for the first five entries) to avoid patch issues :idea:

Flocke wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:02 amFile: ..\..\source\game\solarapi.c, Line: 5279, query != NULL

By that it seems to be a specific random event that corrupted that system.

It's somehow related to events causing destruction of manned buildings (and/or pop loss?).

I recall this UI / pop data glitch from vanilla. It caused phantom workers and even saved game corruptions.

In the worst case one needed to clear and re-assign ALL worker units in ALL systems and even then some corrupted saved games couldn't be fixed.

There was a similar UI glitch freezing the sliders of the two bottom science areas (construction and weapons). But this one corrupted no saved games and random clicking on different buttons in different screens solved it eventually.

Flocke wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:53 amThat crash was caused by the systInfo updWrkr flag that's been set for that system:
0x314-0x317 updWrkr: update worker assignments marker (f.e. after pop loss) -> bugged!
I don't know anything about it, but unsetting that flag, I can select the system again and progressed another 50 turns without error.

I updated UE to report and unset that flag by the integrity checks

Nice one! Great you found a workaround to fix the issue in corrupted saved games. :up:
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:36 pm Sorry I thought the info was clear enough
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:10 pm Fix example by switching to an unused savegame area: ([alienInfo+3C] untouched cardassian entry/since for minors only)
-> at 0x4A693 & 0x4A6A7 change: 78 2B to: 4C 20
I should have read better, but I somehow missed the fix of last sentence, that's likely applied. Plus I've been too lazy to check the asm code, but wanted to see how the save game is affected. :mrgreen:

Luckily I only found that single byte being repurposed. But I'll keep the warning message, since it is still abusing the clean data format, which otherwise would mess UE code for the double-use. The other patches I implemented some auto-detection for, at least regard the file responsibility and keep close to the save game format. This one however clearly violates it, which leads to coding mess.

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”