All in one installer 2.0.0 installs freeze at Compressing files to stbotf.res stage

Moderator: thunderchero

Forum rules
Please read the topic titles below to see if your issue matches already solved issues before creating new support ticket.
baz08
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

All in one installer 2.0.0 installs freeze at Compressing files to stbotf.res stage

Post by baz08 »

Hi, i have downloaded the new all in one installer and have tried several times overnight and during the day to install the games and various mods without success. Either a single game or multiple mods the result is the same, when the install gets to the Compressing files stage (the 1-3 mins per mod) notice appears and from that point onwards there is no progress over at least 3 hours overnight.

I have left the machine on a single vanilla game install for several hours and this does not seem to ever progress, eventually the machine shuts down through inactivity or i have to close the installer via task manager. I am unable to uninstall the various other mods via an uninstall executable as it is only present in the vanilla game directory. Dxwnd is installed btw.

Is there anything anyone can suggest i should try?

Running windows 10
Using 1920 x 1080p install options
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Re: All in one installer 2.0.0 installs freeze at Compressing files to stbotf.res stage

Post by Flocke »

Welcome baz08,

sounds like: viewtopic.php?p=48553#p48553

Hope deactivating windows defender helps, good luck!
baz08
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: All in one installer 2.0.0 installs freeze at Compressing files to stbotf.res stage

Post by baz08 »

Flocke wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:05 am Welcome baz08,

sounds like: viewtopic.php?p=48553#p48553

Hope deactivating windows defender helps, good luck!
Thanks, i have looked at this, but as i don't have windows defender active, i have Norton 360 but there's nothing (that i'm aware of) that would be causing Norton to interfere with the file compression stage

I should also add that i have previously had (on the same machine) all mods and games installed and running perfectly fine in 2019/2020 from the version 1 all in one installer. I only uninstalled (fully via the uninstall exe in each mod folder) the games in order to re-download and install with the new updates available in the all in one installer 2.0.0
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

re-download installer, it is not hard to get a corrupt download when it is 1.5 gigs

also beta has not gone though all the antivirus protocols for false positives so check your quarantined files for

snd_tool.exe
arc_tool.exe

these 2 files compress the sound and alt.res

if they are on your quarantined list please send them to your antivirus software for testing (I encourage this)
baz08
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by baz08 »

thunderchero wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:48 am re-download installer, it is not hard to get a corrupt download when it is 1.5 gigs

also beta has not gone though all the antivirus protocols for false positives so check your quarantined files for

snd_tool.exe
arc_tool.exe

these 2 files compress the sound and alt.res

if they are on your quarantined list please send them to your antivirus software for testing (I encourage this)

Can confirm neither files are in quarrantine which is good, i have also explicitly added the installer to the firewall rules as an accepted program and retried with the same results. The stbotf.res file appears to be created as it is in the directory but the installer screen remains at the notice window with a full green bar.

When i am forced to terminate the installer via task manager, it then goes to the installation completed window before closing, or if i'm fast enough to click finish on the installer window before it closes i get the error dism.exe failed.

I have re-downloaded the archive and will try again once more however and see what happens
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

baz08 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 am I have re-downloaded the archive and will try again once more however and see what happens
just confirm are you downloading the beta version from this page? (latest updates)

viewtopic.php?p=56455#p56455
baz08 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:28 am i get the error dism.exe failed.
dism.exe is a windows file not from installer.
baz08
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by baz08 »

Ahh,

Nope, i was using the version from: https://www.armadafleetcommand.com/get- ... le_id=1958

Will try the above version as you suggest now
baz08
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by baz08 »

Still have the same issue as before.

Files for the vanilla version appear correct, has the stbotf.res file and the uninstall.exe file, but i still had to end the installer via task manager.

When trying to install the AAM or AAML the installer does the same thing except there's no uninstaller.exe in the directory and the stbotf.res file has a date of 28/04/2022 instead of today's date
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

detailed testing if you are interested

run installer (only install vanilla at default settings)

when installer stalls go to C:\Users\"current user"\AppData\Local\Temp

in "temp" folder search for a folder named "vanilla"

in vanilla folder run "mod.bat"

report what you see in command prompt window (this is where it is stalling at)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Not sure it helps with the problem at hand, but I remember similar issues caused by conflicting background tasks of the windows OS. One time it was a hanging windows upgrade task (without any user notification) the other windows issue I can't recall right now.

EDIT: Workaround for my issue: Reboot OS and run a cleaning tool like ccleaner.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
baz08
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by baz08 »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:29 am Not sure it helps with the problem at hand, but I remember similar issues caused by conflicting background tasks of the windows OS. One time it was a hanging windows upgrade task (without any user notification) the other windows issue I can't recall right now.

EDIT: Workaround for my issue: Reboot OS and run a cleaning tool like ccleaner.
It looks like this may well have been the issue, have run some windows updates overnight which took an age, ran the installer this morning on the vanilla install and it completed successfully.

Now trying on the rest of the mods. One question, when it warns that other versions must be uninstalled first (the previous attempts at install never did add the uninstall file so removal of the files had to be done manually) do registry changes have to be made to manually or will a fresh install be ok to overwrite them?
thunderchero

Post by thunderchero »

baz08 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:30 am Now trying on the rest of the mods. One question, when it warns that other versions must be uninstalled first (the previous attempts at install never did add the uninstall file so removal of the files had to be done manually) do registry changes have to be made to manually or will a fresh install be ok to overwrite them?
it should overwrite the registry, install folder you can delete.
baz08
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Post by baz08 »

Thanks for your help on this, thanks all, looks like we're up and running :grin:

Return to “Submit a support ticket for Windows (all versions)”