Multiplayer Tournament September 2022 (Fluid's)

Come in here if you want to sign up for Multi player games.

Moderator: thunderchero

RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Multiplayer Tournament September 2022 (Fluid's)

Post by RSE_Chris »

Minimum players required: 8. The first 8 will be offered a place – any subsequent entries will be placed on a reserve list pending withdrawals. If 12 entries are reached, all 12 will be offered a place.

Games can commence on the 23rd September, as soon as the tournament groups are posted. The first round must be completed within 3 weeks from 26th September.

Tournament winner on Discord will be awarded the unique Champion Standing title.

Rules:

-Games will be played using Fluid’s Multiplayer Mod.
-Borg and random events must be turned off.
-Some players will be seeded based on multiplayer performance to balance out initial brackets, and all will be randomised.
-Player in top part of a bracket chooses game settings (tech, map size, minors and difficulty).
-Player in bottom part of a bracket chooses first race.
-Each round should be completed within 2 weeks maximum.
-If a player cannot complete their game in time, victory goes to their opposition.

May you bring glory to you and your house!

Report below, or on the Discord group: https://discord.gg/x2QvyHvF77

Competitors:

RSE_Chris (seeded)
Broly (via Discord)
RSE_Dissy (via Discord) (seeded)
Ellis Dee (via Discord)
tim.heaer (via Discord) (seeded)
Kimino (via Discord)
kevnoir (via Discord)
Chronos (via Discord)

Last edited by RSE_Chris on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:34 am, edited 18 times in total.
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Re: Multiplayer Tournament October 2022 (Fluid's)

Post by RSE_Chris »

The minimum player requirement has now been met. Any additional sign-ups will be placed on the reserve list, and for every 4 extra reservists they will be assigned a place in the tournament to enable balanced groups. There are still 4 weeks left, so if you wish to have the chance at competing then do continue to put your names down. Thank you.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Post by Spocks-cuddly-tribble »

Good luck everyone!

Don't forget lower difficulty level increases the intel attack frequency (unless Fluid fixed that bias).
So if you are higher seeded player and know that your opponent dislikes playing as card/rom but prefers klingons/feds...:twisted:

---

If I may, an OT questions about sync errors (my last multiplayer lies almost 20 years in the past).

By default Borg-Off doesn't work for multiplayer games (and is pointless without random events anyway).
Can different borg on/off settings of host vs joining players trigger sync errors?

Same question wrt different random events settings of host vs joining players (cf. options menu)?

I'm asking in order to make sure (for modding reasons) what parts of the turn process subroutine are for host only or shared with clients.
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:53 pm Good luck everyone!

Don't forget lower difficulty level increases the intel attack frequency (unless Fluid fixed that bias).
So if you are higher seeded player and know that your opponent dislikes playing as card/rom but prefers klingons/feds...:twisted:

---

If I may, an OT questions about sync errors (my last multiplayer lies almost 20 years in the past).

By default Borg-Off doesn't work for multiplayer games (and is pointless without random events anyway).
Can different borg on/off settings of host vs joining players trigger sync errors?

Same question wrt different random events settings of host vs joining players (cf. options menu)?

I'm asking in order to make sure (for modding reasons) what parts of the turn process subroutine are for host only or shared with clients.
As far as I'm aware, the host's random events settings dictate the settings of those who are joining. But, whether or not a joiner having an opposing random events setting in their options screen causes sync errors - I do not know, and have never thought about it. Although, I would imagine such a sync error would manifest immediately, and that is not something that I've witnessed happening often. This only appears to happen when players have different game versions installed.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

RSE_Chris wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:20 pmI would imagine such a sync error would manifest immediately
No, code for random events is delayed depending on the difficulty level. Level 1-5 disabled for turns: 45 / 35 / 30 / 20 / 10 (monster even longer)
I don't know how many bugs is too many but that point is reached somewhere before however many in BotF is.
thunderchero
Site Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Site  Administrator aka Fleet Admiral
Location: On a three month training mission, in command of the USS Valiant.

Post by thunderchero »

I did some testing,

host; borg and random OFF
joining; borg and random ON

Joining players stbof.ini never changed (remained ON)

but as a note, when joining player goes to options page random line was darkened out and not selectable.

so to be safe both player should check stbof.ini to confirm both player match.
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

thunderchero wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:08 pmwhen joining player goes to options page random line was darkened out and not selectable.
This should prevent sync errors (for random events it's about gameinfo/savegame only, not stbof.ini).

As told, borg off is by default ignored in multiplayer (strange special codes). So only new borg patches could trigger deviation issues due to borg ini.
Flocke
BORG Trouble Maker
BORG Trouble Maker

Post by Flocke »

While it would be more than silly when they forgot about transferring the main game settings, it is easy to test since many random events raise a message box. So when on client or host a random event message box shows up where it is not meant to, or when it is missing while it should show up, it is clear there is a bug.

Further, even though many random events might not result in sync errors immediately, others very likely do (the turn after the event comes to effect or very soon thereafter).
And by the many games that have been played, someone would have noticed before for sure.

Bugs to expect are rather of the kind that it is transferred, but in some subroutine they accidentally dismiss those settings but instead read the local stbof.ini settings anyhow. Chance for such a bug however is low since there must be a central routine that dices on the random events to not raise a multitude of them. So there is a central check on the settings to expect and not multiple subroutines with individual checks.

A nice hypothetical matter, but unless there is experimental evidence or some bugged code findings, I'd not care much on it.
Actually you best make sure to always have the random events setting different, cause if there'd really be a bug, it is very likely that after the first two games you give up on it since there were too many sync errors. :lol:

Oh and guess why it is stored with the save game "gameinfo". I'd say just like the tactical timer and such, it's been specifically implemented so for multiplayer synchronization. And the timer is dictated by the host for sure. ;)
Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

All correct and in accordance with above statements. So this case file might be closed.

....unless you enable the borg setting to be used in multiplayer. Borg was a Microprose hotfix, hence isn't handled via gameinfo but just ini.
This would explain the Borg MP exception codes to prevent sync errors when playing with random events.
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:09 pm All correct and in accordance with above statements. So this case file might be closed.

....unless you enable the borg setting to be used in multiplayer. Borg was a Microprose hotfix, hence isn't handled via gameinfo but just ini.
This would explain the Borg MP exception codes to prevent sync errors when playing with random events.
Your expertise and Flocke's would be most welcome on the Discord server. It's always good to have modders, and I am sure TC would like the company :razz: . You should consider joining us. :up:
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Re: Multiplayer Tournament September 2022 (Fluid's)

Post by RSE_Chris »

The groups have now been posted following seeding and randomisation, and the tournament can now begin!

Streaming is encouraged, but not compulsory. Use one of the observation lounges if you’d like to stream – if both players of the game are streaming, make sure to use separate lounges so you cannot see each other’s game.

Once you have finished your game, please write a small game summary below or on the Discord group, and the tournament chart will be updated. Post-game screenshots are encouraged.

Please familiarise yourself with the game rules in the original post before you begin.

Good luck, competitors.

Qapla’
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Re: Multiplayer Tournament September 2022 (Fluid's)

Post by RSE_Chris »

The tournament is now complete. Thank you to all who competed - there have been many competitive games played and all in good spirit, and the first time we’ve ever streamed tournament games. Those who finished in 1st, 2nd and 3rd place have been recorded in the Hall of Warriors – well done. Others will have their chance in future tournaments.

Spocks-cuddly-tribble
Code Master
Code Master

Congratulations! Nice job, Chris :cool:

And Dizzy always insisted to be the better player of you both...

RSE_Chris wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:00 pmYou should consider joining us. :up:
I'm no great online guy and my unstable internet connection won't work for this anyway.

Oh, by the way, the great Supremacy guys develop a combat engine over there: viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3816
You might give it a looksy and provide counsel based on your BotF MP experience. :wink:
RSE_Chris
Commander
Commander

Post by RSE_Chris »

Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:42 pm Congratulations! Nice job, Chris :cool:

And Dizzy always insisted to be the better player of you both...
Thanks, although to be fair, he beats me more than I beat him. :smile:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:42 pm
I'm no great online guy and my unstable internet connection won't work for this anyway.
Ah, it was worth a try! Many people are on there who play SP only, so you're more than welcome if you ever change your mind. :up:
Spocks-cuddly-tribble wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:42 pm Oh, by the way, the great Supremacy guys develop a combat engine over there: viewtopic.php?f=300&t=3816
You might give it a looksy and provide counsel based on your BotF MP experience. :wink:
I'll have a read, although I must admit I have deliberately avoided Supremacy topics until it's ready, knowing it will make me look at regular BOTF with some pity!

Return to “Multiplayer Games”